Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Butler Maps - New England

Butler Maps - New England

Has anyone else ordered one of these? Butler Motorcycle Maps - Northern New England G1 Map

Received mine yesterday. It's great quality, as Butler Maps always are. Lots of new roads for me to try to find this summer, although I suspect I know much less about where to ride in New England than most other members here.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by rpete; 04-13-16 at 12:29 AM.
    Oh, such a beautiful tarmac. Look how smooth it is. See how smooth it is? And it's warm, and it's hard. - Charley Boorman, Long Way Round

Re: Butler Maps - new England

I just ordered one after reading your post. I have known about Butler Motorcycle Maps for years, but never thought of getting one for this area or they didn't have one for New England if I did look before. It appears like they just released the New England map in the last couple months. Thanks for pointing it out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

They're putting out a series of four east coast maps. The first covered the southern Appalachians, which I couldn't have been happier to have while planning a long trip last year. The northern New England map is the second in the series, and I'm anxiously awaiting the final two.

Here is an image of the planned areas

Unfortunately, eastern Maine isn't included.

I've used Butler Maps' recommended routes for trips through the Ozarks, the southwest, and southern California, and have never been disappointed.

Last edited by rpete; 04-12-16 at 10:14 PM.
    Oh, such a beautiful tarmac. Look how smooth it is. See how smooth it is? And it's warm, and it's hard. - Charley Boorman, Long Way Round

I see CT and RI did not make any campaign contributions to Butler maps. Thanks for posting this, I thought maybe I was the only person left that didn't have a GPS talking to the helmet.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Yeah, NY is "New England" and RI-CT are not? WTF do they know about New England anyway as I think they are based in CO

They work in rectangles. It's the nature of the business, I guess

Re: Butler Maps - New England

it has come to my attention that Delorme has sold out to Garmin (Garmin wanted Delorme's iReach product line)

Part of the deal was that Garmin must keep the "Eartha" globe accessible to the public for visiting but Garmin has closed the Yarmouth map store, paper maps are still available online and thru other outlets

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post
    Yeah, NY is "New England" and RI-CT are not? WTF do they know about New England anyway as I think they are based in CO
    That is the first thing I noticed. Scrolled thru all maps hoping it might be in the Southern NE. Seems like CT and RI are not part of anything.

awesome! just ordered one. cant bring myself to spend hundreds on a motorcycle gps. electronics can die/fail, maps usually don't

I have gazetteers for all the states and use in conjunction with tyre to program a tomtom

I might add the butler to my collection

NOTE I think you are better off with the DAKS vs CT/RI

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Just recieved mine today. I gotta say, I'm very impressed with the quality, material, and size of this map. The hi-lighted routes and POI's make it worth the money.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

website only lists 1 map. the G1 northern new england map. what does that cover?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Thanks, just ordered one. No GPS for me, thanks.

And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    website only lists 1 map. the G1 northern new england map. what does that cover?
    This map highlights the best paved roads in Western Maine, New Hampshire,Vermont, Massachusetts and New York.
    See also the image above - http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...4/#post1456104

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AEG View Post
    That is the first thing I noticed. Scrolled thru all maps hoping it might be in the Southern NE. Seems like CT and RI are not part of anything.
    As it should be. Now if we could finally figure out teleportation from one end of 84 to the NY border, all would be right in New England.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by rpete View Post
    thanks. can you point out exactly where in that picture it tells me which square the G1 map is?

edit: be sure to turn on "smartass" tone on your speakers when reading the above

Last edited by SVRACER01; 05-03-16 at 12:54 PM.
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    thanks. can you point out exactly where in that picture it tells me which square the G1 map is?

edit: be sure to turn on "smartass" tone on your speakers when reading the above
    If you go to their product listing on the company's site, they show the back of the folding map. It has a picture of North East USA, with a square drawn over the region the G1 map covers. In the larger map above with 4 rectangles, the G1 map is the top right one. You know -the rectangle outlining Northern New England...

nedirtriders.com

Related to Butler maps... Is anyone using Rever? Seems like it might be interesting.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

FWIW, these maps are the bees knees when I've used em. Mostly in Texas, they help find the good roads for sure, or the dirt ones... if that's what you're after.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Related to Butler maps... Is anyone using Rever? Seems like it might be interesting.
    This seems more valuable than the solid maps. Being able to plan route digitally, take it with you, operate offline, track friends, etc sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    If you go to their product listing on the company's site, they show the back of the folding map. It has a picture of North East USA, with a square drawn over the region the G1 map covers. In the larger map above with 4 rectangles, the G1 map is the top right one. You know -the rectangle outlining Northern New England...
    i guess my reading comprehension was a bit off that day. 10 days in a row at work will do that.

As far as the Rever app goes. It goes both ways for me. Part of me loves technology, the other part wants to hop on my bike and get lost without relying on my phone for directions.

I've been in some parts of New England, looking for certain roads, but had no service to find them on my map app. Thats when paper comes into play for me. I prefer to unplug when I'm riding most of the time.

Lifer

I've found myself in situations where I'm a few hours from home via the highway, but feel like taking a backroad back. I love technology, and sometimes plan out routes in advance. But in those situations, it'd be nice to basically have someone suggest which route to take, or be able to see high-level where the good ones go since they might go a bit out of the way but I could still make it work. I guess if I had Rever on my phone, it'd make it a little easier but I'd just be looking at the same roads as the folding version. As for a lack of service, that's a planning problem. You can get entire maps loaded on to the phone so you aren't dependent on data service. Like TomTom's app. Or Rever advertises offline maps as a feature.

To get access to either offline maps in Rever or their Bulter map data, that's $6/mo or $60/year. Or $18.95 shipped for the G1 map. I'm gonna try the map, though I wonder how easy it'll be to follow the routes without wanting to pull over and try to get my phone to tell me when to turn. I find constantly being on the look out for the turn, or a sign to make sure I'm still on the right path takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it and a lot of attention off the road.

nedirtriders.com

i used paper maps for years when delivering furniture. in general big fold up maps suck. you dont generally get very detailed town/street level maps unless its a metro area. we used a lot of atlas style maps that had everything broken down in a grid and each page was a square on the grid. this is where electronic maps are superior. zooming in and out is super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swizz View Post
    As far as the Rever app goes. It goes both ways for me. Part of me loves technology, the other part wants to hop on my bike and get lost without relying on my phone for directions.

I've been in some parts of New England, looking for certain roads, but had no service to find them on my map app. Thats when paper comes into play for me. I prefer to unplug when I'm riding most of the time.
    Rever's premium includes offline maps, which coupled with GPS should be awesome for the middle of nowhere rides. Going to give it a whirl, will definitely report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast