Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

To buy or not to buy?

To buy or not to buy?

93 Katana 1100, 42k plus miles, good to excellent shape, plastic faded but solid, runs great. $2000 thinking of offering $1600. Worried about the mileage. Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: To buy or not to buy?

$2000 pesos ?
    no katana is ever worth $2000
    i'd consider it for $500

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

I dunno, Id probably let him pay me 2k to take it away. Not a penny less though.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

2k for a 20 yr old bike with 42k? uhhhh...

2006 DRZ400SM

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Katana is japanese for "needs a carb clean again"

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yea I had a couple Kats. Would not touch ever again. Kan-O-Tuna

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

If you pay more than 500$ you leave me with no choice but to conclude that you are in fact, on drugs.

Last edited by 01xj; 08-05-13 at 09:48 PM.

I loved all my katanas that being said for all 3 of them combined I paid less than what you are willing to pay for this.

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

clicked on this thread just for the katana hate. I love me some Katana hate. and yea, its worth about 800 bucks

I think we should all chip in to buy this bike so we can destroy it so there is one less katana out there.

LRRS #313

So there seems to be a lot of hate for this but no why you all hate them. I agree I thought the price high for a 20 year old bike with this many miles, but, knowing the owner I am confident he took good care of it. So if instead of saying lets burn it tell me why. Just saying they suck ass is bull shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsrvt View Post
    So there seems to be a lot of hate for this but no why you all hate them. I agree I thought the price high for a 20 year old bike with this many miles, but, knowing the owner I am confident he took good care of it. So if instead of saying lets burn it tell me why. Just saying they suck ass is bull shit.
    You must already have your mind made up cause one search on your own you'd realize that is severely overpriced. Your just mad cause no one wants to see it through your tainted view. It's your money and enjoy but your not going to convince anyone here 93 Katana with 40K is worth over a grand.

My mind has been made for some time that I am not going to buy it. I am mostly curious about the hate. I understand overpriced, that is one thing. But the outright disdain I don't get. So other than ranting that this bike is overpriced I was hoping someone would tell me why they hate them in general.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsrvt View Post
    It's ugly, no character, underpowered, heavy, handles like a boat. For $500, i'd say go for it. For $2,000 you could get something a little more enjoyable in my opinion.

LRRS #313

I've never ridden one and have no personal experience. Everything I say is 2nd to 18th hand information.

The katana is known for being a heavy bike. Given its weight, it isn't the most desirable bike for those looking for a performance sport bike as it doesn't handle all that well.

All things being equal, I don't personally like the looks of them all that much. YMMV.

All things being equal, comparing them to the GSXR and it's not all that desirable from the mainstream buyer.

If you like it, get it. Hell, I ride a goldwing. Talk about heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    It's ugly, no character, underpowered, heavy, handles like a boat. For $500, i'd say go for it. For $2,000 you could get something a little more enjoyable in my opinion.
    I def argue that they don't have any character. They were a huge seller in Europe and they are an awesome learned bike. You can buy one for $2000 and sell it again for $2000 10k miles later. I had plenty of them in my life and they are an awesome inexpensive bike. For bikes under $1500 I'd get a katana over any of the old ZXs any day of the week.

Ive ridden both a 600 and a 750 Katana. As described above the performance is not and never was very good. Im not talking only about speed or acceleration, but weak and wobbly suspension and brakes. The 600 I rode was a ratty clam, so not fair to base it all on that one...the 750 was as clean and as nice as you could imagine, it was in super shape. After a carb clean the bike ran as good as it looked. The 750 actually had some zip to it. 99% of the Katana's Ive seen are ratty shitboxes. There is hardly any parts support for these bikes, and zero aftermarket support.

For a few hundred bucks, hell Id take it. For a few grand Id pass.

My first street bike was a Katana 600. Rat-bike!!!! It had a rattle can orange spray paint job and a stubby exhaust before they became the norm. It was ugly and loud, but I put some serious miles on that bitch before I moved up to a Yamaha FZR1000 that I loved. The 'Tuna would sometimes inexplicably spit fuel from the carbs and often stutter and cough. But a twist of the throttle and it would usually go away. In retrospect, I should have died on that crap heap, but I just rode it without ever doing any proper maintenance. AHHH, to be young and stupid.

The 'Tuna was a decent first bike, but wouldn't touch it today as there are many other fun, quick and reliable bikes that can be had for 2Gs or less.

LRRS#167