Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Buying a bike with title transfer in-process

Re: Buying a bike with title transfer in-process

Well the positive side is the guy texted me this weekend asking if I still wanted it and then told me that he's gotten a few other inquiries about it but that I get dibs once the title comes in. Just gotta be patient!

Can't come soon enough, I went for a ride on my own and dropped my Super Adventure on an off camber rocky trail late last week and threw out my back trying to pick it back up. I need a lighter bike for scouting!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 08-17-20 at 06:31 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

The fun just keeps on coming!

So the title finally comes in after 2 months of waiting, and I bought the bike last Friday, only to find at time of purchase that the mileage on the title says "125,000". It's pretty obvious that the DMV fucked this up and mistyped an extra zero, because the actual mileage on the bike is ~12400 miles or thereabouts, and seller must have just written 12500 miles in the actual mileage spot when re-titling.

I called the DMV and they want me to give the title back to the owner so he can bring it to the town hall and re-title it AGAIN. So I can wait another 2 months for a correct title? Fuck the NH DMV.

I'm not even sure what to do at this point. It's possible I'll just ride it unregistered and untitled because of the dipshits at the DMV.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The fun just keeps on coming!

So the title finally comes in after 2 months of waiting, and I bought the bike last Friday, only to find at time of purchase that the mileage on the title says "125,000". It's pretty obvious that the DMV fucked this up and mistyped an extra zero, because the actual mileage on the bike is ~12400 miles or thereabouts, and seller must have just written 12500 miles in the actual mileage spot when re-titling.

I called the DMV and they want me to give the title back to the owner so he can bring it to the town hall and re-title it AGAIN. So I can wait another 2 months for a correct title? Fuck the NH DMV.

I'm not even sure what to do at this point. It's possible I'll just ride it unregistered and untitled because of the dipshits at the DMV.

I'd just let it go. Who cares what mileage the title says? Any reasonable buyer (next) will understand the error and the logistical clusterfuck of getting a new one. As long as they trust your representation of the truth about the actual milage, the paperwork is pure semantics, as far as I'm concerned.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

I think I agree with that.

Irony is I am on the phone with the DMV waiting to set up an appointment to renew my license. I have been on hold for over an hour now and am presently "43rd" in line. I have tried 3-4 different times over the last month and there has always been this kind of ridiculous wait time. It ain't good.

I'm not too concerned about the paperwork, just annoyed at the response by the DMV, like its no big deal that I'll have to wait 4 months and have jumped through numerous hoops to get a correct title.

The only thing I do wonder is what will happen if I have written the correct mileage on the back (12521 or something) and submit it for retitling. Are they going to deny issuing me a title, or are they just gonna add the difference to the 125000 miles on the current title?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

By the way, here she is:

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Cool bike. I'm really warming to those. Heavy.. but.. you know.. a Honda.

I wonder if you could get this straightened out in a year or so once the dust settles with a note from a trooper or inspection station or something.

In my mind the biggest problem is it would look funny on a generated report like a carfax or something. I can't imagine it would ever be a problem in reality.

..I just had a thought. What will happen when you do the annual inspection? When the inspection stations start reporting 12,xxx, 13,xxx, etc?

I say find out. Ride the piss out of it in the meantime. 'Tis the season.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I'm not too concerned about the paperwork, just annoyed at the response by the DMV, like its no big deal that I'll have to wait 4 months and have jumped through numerous hoops to get a correct title.

The only thing I do wonder is what will happen if I have written the correct mileage on the back (12521 or something) and submit it for retitling. Are they going to deny issuing me a title, or are they just gonna add the difference to the 125000 miles on the current title?
    Definitely get it straightened out. Otherwise it will be considered "true mileage unknown" when you sell it...and effect its value ( a lot!)
    Maybe I've missed it, but at what point was the error made- when it was transferred to you?
    In defense of DMV, it was likely the seller's mistake.

On the NH DMV website, there is a paragraph under the "Make Corrections to a Title" which states:

"If a mileage correction is required, you must provide a signed statement from the person who originally misstated the odometer reading. Notarization is not required."

I wonder if I submit it for titling, if I can then get a signed statement from the seller claiming a misstated odometer reading and avoid having to keep in contact with the seller for another 2 months.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Just wanted to give one final update:

I decided to try my luck at titling it in my name. I typed up a letter to the effect of "My name is Seller McSellerFace and I fucked up the mileage or it was entered incorrectly. The real mileage at the time of titling was 12500." Had him sign and notarize it, then I brought it to the town hall with the fucked up titled he signed over to me and a bill of sale. All went smoothly at the town hall, got tags and registration.

Finally after 2 months my title has arrived and it has the correct mileage on it!

So for those of you in NH with fucked up titles, if you can get the seller's signature on a notarized letter that indicates a mileage correction is needed, apparently that is enough. The website is correct in this regard, and the first DMV dumbass I spoke to apparently was ignorant to their own procedures.

Bonus pic of my toy from a few days ago:

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

What tire setup are you running there and how do you like it?

Those look like the stock tires that were on my various 250L's. I only ever ran them on the street, and they were surprisingly grippy/predictable in that context.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Not stock tires, they're Dunlop D606 front and rear. I believe the stock tire is something IRC?

The rear D606 is fantastic. A month or so ago I tried to ride solo through a mud hole that was MUCH deeper than I expected - probably 15 inches - and was surprisingly able to get myself back out (word of advice, don't try to ride through a marsh even if there are tracks). There was no way I was going to turn around so I instead braved a decently steep uphill rocky climb on the other side to get back to civilization. It was no sweat for the D606 rear.

The front is...merely ok. On the road they are fine, on level dirt and muddy roads they're pretty good, and on rocky climbs they work well, but on a downhill two track snowmobile trail littered with wet leaves, the front tried to slide out on me several times.

I'll probably keep the D606 rear, but I'll probably replace the front D606 when its done. I'll probably go for the fabled D606/MT21 combo.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 01-07-21 at 03:18 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Cool cool.

I ran through a set of D606's at Chips recommendation on my DRZ400 back when. I also liked them in the dirt but not as much in the street. The rear wore much too fast for me. Meanwhile at my last refresh I put a set of Shinko 700's on the WR. These I like very much on the pavement and they aren't as bad as I expected in the dirt. I have been telling myself that for my next dual sport tire setup I'd like to try a D606 in the front and a 700 in the rear. I think that'd give me confidence to set the front in slicker stuff yet the streetability and longer tire life out of the rear.

Sounds like you are looking for a more aggressive setup overall.

Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Cool cool.

I ran through a set of D606's at Chips recommendation on my DRZ400 back when. I also liked them in the dirt but not as much in the street. The rear wore much too fast for me. Meanwhile at my last refresh I put a set of Shinko 700's on the WR. These I like very much on the pavement and they aren't as bad as I expected in the dirt. I have been telling myself that for my next dual sport tire setup I'd like to try a D606 in the front and a 700 in the rear. I think that'd give me confidence to set the front in slicker stuff yet the streetability and longer tire life out of the rear.

Sounds like you are looking for a more aggressive setup overall.

Good stuff.
    Yup, I have a Super Adventure for street adventures. This bike is mainly for rides like my Dirty Dog Route and exploring class 4/6 roads in VT and NH. I've taken my KTM down too many unmaintained roads that turn into gnarly Jeep trails to keep making that mistake.

Oh and it might be worth trying the Tusk Adventure Dsport Adventure tire as opposed to a D606. Supposedly very similar to a D606 in tread pattern, but I think harder rubber so it should last longer. And being half the cost doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 01-07-21 at 03:58 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

Tusk makes tires now! That's awesome.
    Those look great. Definitely look like the sort of thing I'd put on the front end for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12