Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a bike with title transfer in-process

Buying a bike with title transfer in-process

This has probably been discussed here before, but I can't find anything in search...

I have a line on a dual sport for sale in NH, seller and I have agreed on pricing but turns out the guy never re-titled the bike in his name. He had the title with original owners signature and his own and took it to the town hall last night, and is now waiting for the updated title from the state. He sent me a pic with the original title FWIW, so this isn't a case of seller saying something BS.

I realize that the title is what determines ownership, but right now the wait for a title is up to 50 days, according to the NH DMV website.

Is there a way to buy a bike while the title is "in process", like maybe write up a contract? Or should I just wait a month until he gets it for my own safety?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Re: Buying a bike with title transfer in-process

That's rough. CT has a spot on the back of the title for second assignment of ownership, so you just need to show transfer of ownership there and via bill of sale to transfer twice, without a new title in the middle. Probably too late for that now, but more for future reference.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    That's rough. CT has a spot on the back of the title for second assignment of ownership, so you just need to show transfer of ownership there and via bill of sale to transfer twice, without a new title in the middle. Probably too late for that now, but more for future reference.
    Yeah VT has that too. Unfortunately NH titles only allow one reassignment before they have to be re-titled. There are "dealer" sections but after a call to the DMV Concord office they said I'm not allowed to use that section.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Unless it's someone you know, I would probably wait. If it was someone I trusted, I would get my own insurance, and just ride with their plate.

Lifer

I'd be leery. My understanding is that a bill of sale is binding and all that. But without the title signed over in hand.. I just dunno. I would not hand any money over were I in your shoes.

Is this a factory dual-sport that had a title from day one, or a conversion? Re-titling a conversion is easier than I expected. You can get it done with a NH OHV sticker, VIN verification (any inspection station can do this), and an affidavit signed by a "mechanic" saying it has the lights, horn, etc. FWIW I qualified myself as a "mechanic" for that. You probably can qualify yourself too!

If this is an enduro with a horn kit the chances of getting screwed are somewhat less IMO. But only somewhat.

Overall I'd suggest telling the guy to call you when he gets the title and you'll swing by with the cash. Until then..

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I'd be leery. My understanding is that a bill of sale is binding and all that. But without the title signed over in hand.. I just dunno. I would not hand any money over were I in your shoes.

Is this a factory dual-sport that had a title from day one, or a conversion? Re-titling a conversion is easier than I expected. You can get it done with a NH OHV sticker, VIN verification (any inspection station can do this), and an affidavit signed by a "mechanic" saying it has the lights, horn, etc. FWIW I qualified myself as a "mechanic" for that. You probably can qualify yourself too!

If this is an enduro with a horn kit the chances of getting screwed are somewhat less IMO. But only somewhat.

Overall I'd suggest telling the guy to call you when he gets the title and you'll swing by with the cash. Until then..
    It's a road legal dual sport that came with a title.

It's probably best to just wait. I've got this guy's home address, but I'm leery of a "he said/she said" situation, and it could drag out for who knows how long.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Lifer

So the dirt/dual-sport market is that tight huh?

The used market is crazy right now, this is one of the few reasonably priced examples I've found. It's too bad we are both hung up by bureaucracy, because I would love to go pick it up today and he wants it gone.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Give him a deposit and take the bike on his plate? Hahaa. I'd do it, but I'm a rule bender.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Give him a deposit and take the bike on his plate? Hahaa. I'd do it, but I'm a rule bender.
    "His plate" is from his 300XCW. Because he never titled it in his name he couldn't register it, so he commuted on it with another plate.

I'm not immune from temptation myself; I could give him the money and get a 20 day temp plate, but I'd be placing all my trust in him handing over the title when he gets it.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 08-11-20 at 08:36 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

So how does it work when you want to buy a bike that has a lien on it from a private party? You'd have to pay up front and wait for the title in that case too, no?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    So how does it work when you want to buy a bike that has a lien on it from a private party? You'd have to pay up front and wait for the title in that case too, no?
    I did that with my R1. Thankfully it was a local bank, so he gave me the payout total and my bank check was directly to his bank. We met there so I could confirm they had the title and the amount. Paid them, and he signed it over on the spot.

The fact alone that the seller has it listed without having legit ownership raises a red flag. Without a doubt, wait until he has the new title.

It's fuckin' crazy right now! ANY used vehicle at that, not just off-road stuff. Boats & watercraft, street bikes, cars & trucks...you name it. I have a couple friends in the Tim's Truck Capital family and they've broken all previous records for FOUR straight months. I'm hearing similar from peeps I know at m/c dealerships. Bicycles too. Floors are empty.

I have a 2007 Arctic Cat 250 2-wheel drive, fully automatic and a 2007 Raptor 700 I'll be getting ready to start pimping soon too. I can't imagine they're gonna last long. Everything I've been watching is flying. It's absolutely absurd!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycapp View Post
    I did that with my R1. Thankfully it was a local bank, so he gave me the payout total and my bank check was directly to his bank. We met there so I could confirm they had the title and the amount. Paid them, and he signed it over on the spot.
    Did that as well with my Superhawk some years back. Met the dude at the bank & explained what we were doing. I gave him his money, he paid off his loan, the bank signed everything over to me after we drafted a quick BOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    It's fuckin' crazy right now! ANY used vehicle at that, not just off-road stuff. Boats & watercraft, street bikes, cars & trucks...you name it. I have a couple friends in the Tim's Truck Capital family and they've broken all previous records for FOUR straight months. I'm hearing similar from peeps I know at m/c dealerships. Bicycles too. Floors are empty.

I have a 2007 Arctic Cat 250 2-wheel drive, fully automatic and a 2007 Raptor 700 I'll be getting ready to start pimping soon too. I can't imagine they're gonna last long. Everything I've been watching is flying. It's absolutely absurd!
    Tell me more about this Raptor700 you speak of...

Lifer

This thread is going to get me off my ass. Tonight the KTM 200 goes on the operating table to get cleaned up for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by xrocket21 View Post
    Tell me more about this Raptor700 you speak of...
    PM sent.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    This thread is going to get me off my ass. Tonight the KTM 200 goes on the operating table to get cleaned up for sale.

Hell, the KTM road racer project may get cleaned back up as an XC and put on the block if the market is that good right now...

To stay on topic, I would NOT do a thing till the title is in order. Too many things to go wrong and titles can be a nightmare. Clean title in hand or no sale.

If you want to tighten up the seller's obligation, have him meet you at a notary and write out a very specific bill of sale that covers the full situation and expectations for transfer of the title at a later date.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    If you want to tighten up the seller's obligation, have him meet you at a notary and write out a very specific bill of sale that covers the full situation and expectations for transfer of the title at a later date.
    I had actually thought about doing exactly that. It would be hard to dispute a notarized bill of sale.

As an aside about the bike market in general, it seems like the used market is hugely inflated but nothing is really moving. I've seen quite a few bikes reasonably priced on Facebook marketplace that have been sitting for a while. And then of course you have the clinically insane people who list a 2-3 year old bike with 1000 miles at $200 below brand new pricing.

Why do people buy new dual sports, never use them, then let them sit around for 3 years and expect to make 90% of purchase price?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I had actually thought about doing exactly that. It would be hard to dispute a notarized bill of sale.
    Yup, would stand up solidly in court, after you pay filing fees to get a court day, etc. Then you'd have a shiny judgement which you'd likely have to pay even more fees to try and enforce and still no guarantee of getting anything out of it.

Or, just wait, holster your wallet and get the bike once the title is in the clear?

When I bought my dual sport, I paid the guy, which he used to pay off his loan, and then I waited for a few weeks for him to get the title so he could transfer to me. This was a big risk for me and had me a little leery until I actually received it, but I negotiated a MUCH lower price, met up at his house to meet him, meet his wife/kids, took a picture of his DL, and had a bill-of-sale that we both signed stating I paid off the loan and he would transfer the title once received. I think he knew the whole thing was a risk for me so he went out of his way to show me he was just doing it for his family. His wife even thanked me. It all worked out, but there is a level of trust involved. We ended up connecting on FB and he occasionally asks how the bike is doing. I realize there's a lot of horror stories out there but there's some good people out there as well, just have to exercise some caution.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 08-13-20 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast