Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Buying a bike from out-of-state: transport options?

One of the bikes I'm keen on to buy (an Aprilia Falco) is located in northern Illinois... about 1100mi from Portland, ME according to Google Maps. So I guess I'd have three options, if I wanted to buy it:

* fly there, ride it back (in winter?)
    * drive there, pick it up, trailer it back
    * pay someone to transport it for me

Anyone have recommendations for companies for the 3rd option? I'm not sure how much it would cost me.. which is my main concern. I can fly to Chicago from Portland cheap enough if I want to ride it back, however I'm not sure how keen I'm going to be on doing that in the middle of January/February. So, I can either drive or have it transported.

Anyone got recommendations for transport companies? Much obliged, y'all!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

Have RandyO go get it and pay for all his costs. He rides all year no matter wheat the weather.......

My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

Originally posted by Rice-rocket1
    Have RandyO go get it and pay for all his costs. He rides all year no matter wheat the weather.......
    You know, I was thinking that's not the worst idea I've ever heard

Maybe if I slip him a couple of Benjamins he'll lend me his Gerbings & some duct tape...

Lifer

You would have to wire the new bike up for the gerbings when you get there. Totally doable but a bit of a PITA. And there are all kinds of other items you would want to check before taking a new bike home on a long trip in the winter.

- Are you sure the bike is in tip top safe condition? (Tires/brakes/chain/etc..)

- Is it legal for you to ride it home? (Registration/inspection/insurance?)

Trailering is the best option IMO. You can rent a u-haul pretty cheap to carry a bike if you don't own a truck.

ForwardAir for shipping. Very easy. Pick up at an airport near you.

Paul_E_D

Littering and........

Originally posted by Paul_E_D
    ForwardAir for shipping. Very easy. Pick up at an airport near you.

Allied Van Lines also ships bikes door to door (as long as it is a business to a business) for pretty cheap money. I sold a VFR750 to a guy from Seattle, it was $780 from my bike shop to his.

BTW, if you're hot for a Falco, I know where there is a pretty good deal on an 02, black with 11k on it for $5,000, here in VT.

I'll go pick it up for you over a weekend for expences and a small fee. I would have to calculate the fuel and cost of a one night hotel stay along with drinking and lap dances for the night!
    You can even ride bitch and see exactly how much your spending.

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Originally posted by Paul_E_D ForwardAir for shipping. Very easy. Pick up at an airport near you.
    Thanks Paul, I'll check them out. Just found their website, so I'll see what they offer...

Originally posted by highsider
    Allied Van Lines also ships bikes door to door (as long as it is a business to a business) for pretty cheap money. I sold a VFR750 to a guy from Seattle, it was $780 from my bike shop to his.

BTW, if you're hot for a Falco, I know where there is a pretty good deal on an 02, black with 11k on it for $5,000, here in VT.
    Unfortunately it wouldn't be business-to-business, but I'm sure with a little organising I could make it that way. I'll try and find out Allied's details, thanks. Hopefully it wouldn't be as much as you paid! Obviously WA is a lot farther than IL...

Could you dig up the details on the Falco? Mods etc? I think a Mille or Mille R is gonna be an inappropriate choice for the Mrs with the miles we plan on doing (but, not enough for a Futura). The price sounds good though!

Originally posted by benVFR You would have to wire the new bike up for the gerbings when you get there. Totally doable but a bit of a PITA. And there are all kinds of other items you would want to check before taking a new bike home on a long trip in the winter.

- Are you sure the bike is in tip top safe condition? (Tires/brakes/chain/etc..)

- Is it legal for you to ride it home? (Registration/inspection/insurance?)

Trailering is the best option IMO. You can rent a u-haul pretty cheap to carry a bike if you don't own a truck.
    Yeah, I was mostly kidding on the Gerbings, so don't worry. The maintenance point you bring up is (very) valid though; obviously it would all need to be 100% ready-to-go before I could contemplate riding 1100 miles on the thing.

I don't have a trailer, but I've got an oldish F-150 I could throw it on the back on -- but I don't have a ramp, so I'd have to trade beer with a friendly NESR soul for the loan of one

Originally posted by Half Squid I'll go pick it up for you over a weekend for expences and a small fee. I would have to calculate the fuel and cost of a one night hotel stay along with drinking and lap dances for the night!
    You can even ride bitch and see exactly how much your spending.
    I can even ride the stripper, you mean? I'm confused

I'll keep your offer in mind otherwise

Littering and........

Its just a stock Falco, with the complete set of Aprilia bags included. Pretty spotless bike, it was owned by an engineer at IBM who was an older guy. HUGE frickin chicken strips on the tires

Call Brad at BC Motorsports 802-877-6525.