Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a bike from out of state and using USHIP

Lifer

Buying a bike from out of state and using USHIP

So, there is a bike I am interested in from out of state. Has anyone done the purchase and shipping transaction remotely? I saw that I can get a shipping quote online. How does the title/money exchange part occur? The cost of the bike is less than $3k, so not very expensive. Any insight into the logistics would be helpful. Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Re: Buying a bike from out of state and using USHIP

I did it twice. Both times with uship. 1st one was an r6 race bike. The shipper had an enclosed trailer, took pictures of the bike when he picked it up, gave me updates on travel. It worked fine and was fairly cheap. The second bike was a blown up motard that I had crated and shipped ltf. Neither had titles, but I paid them with paypal.

Uship usually gives you an estimate of how much it will cost depending on the way you want it shipped. Once you put up the job, you get different quotes from different shippers. They can vary drastically in price. They usually have ratings and reviews like ebay.

The enclosed trailer that brought my r6 was a huge trailer (like 20-24') and used a wheel chock and straps.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Lifer

Thanks. So, you felt the paypal protection was good enough? I am not sure what to do with the title. I guess I would transfer the money via paypal and then wait for him to send me the signed title?

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

PayPal doesn't cover 'motorized vehicles' FYI: PayPal Purchase Protection for Buyers – PayPal US

That said, both of my last two bike purchases were paid via PayPal and shipped via uShip contracted shippers. My R6 was shipped by this gentleman, and did a wonderful job bringing a roach with a locked front brake and random fairings/etc to me in the middle of a snow storm. I highly recommend him. No titles on my R6 or FZR so I didn't sweat that detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    PayPal doesn't cover 'motorized vehicles' FYI: PayPal Purchase Protection for Buyers – PayPal US

That said, both of my last two bike purchases were paid via PayPal and shipped via uShip contracted shippers. My R6 was shipped by this gentleman, and did a wonderful job bringing a roach with a locked front brake and random fairings/etc to me in the middle of a snow storm. I highly recommend him. No titles on my R6 or FZR so I didn't sweat that detail.
    Josh, if I drop your name to this tacks guy, what do I say? I need to get the Ducati from TX to MA...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Hah, dunno if he'll remember me, looks like he's done quite a few deliveries since. If you don't have a hard timeline, see if he's game. Just be aware that he tries to arrange his trips so he's not doing a solo grind from TX to MA for one bike with nothing on the way home, etc so that may push his availability out a few weeks. Needing to hit specific days is what drives your cost up in uShip FYI.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

I used escrow.com a couple of times, once buying, once selling, and found it worth the fee.

Pay Online Securely with Escrow.com | Escrow is better than PayPal

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And don't believe everything you think.

I didn't know that about paypal. Good to know.

Both purchases were through forums, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. I guess I rolled the dice.

You could always hold $500 until you get the title? He could send the signed title with the bike, too?

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

You basically transfer the money first, then wait for the bike and title. I have done it twice. I didn't use escrow. I did get references on the sellers the best I could. Both worked out great.

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    You basically transfer the money first, then wait for the bike and title. I have done it twice. I didn't use escrow. I did get references on the sellers the best I could. Both worked out great.
    Sign a bill of sale via fax or email before paypal? Then you've got a contract in your hand before putting money on the line, and seller has title and bike in hand before seeing money.

nedirtriders.com

I used uship for my ysr worked out well

Lifer

So far the only quote I am getting is for $500 to bring a small dual sport from about 285 miles from here... :-( Kind of disappointing
    I'll wait and see what else I will get. How much of a window should I give USHIP? I gave a two week window.

Two weeks should be plenty. I think I did a week for the r6 and got about 7 bids. Can't remember how much it cost, but want to say under $300 to get it from Pittsburg to western mass.

You can counter offer, too. Helps if your pick up and delivery dates are flexible, too.

LRRS/CCS #66

You'll initially get automated bids that are typically high, and often involve open transport. Wait a bit for the more reasonably priced people to see if they can work you into their schedule to post bids.

Lifer

Thanks for the advise. I'll wait. If it doesn't work our it is not the end all be all. I'll find something else.

I had a more open timeline but I got offers ranging from $450 to about $800 to get a bike from TX to MA.

If it's 285 miles, I'd just rent/borrow a trailer and go and pick it up yourself. You could do it in a single (long) day.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    I had a more open timeline but I got offers ranging from $450 to about $800 to get a bike from TX to MA.

If it's 285 miles, I'd just rent/borrow a trailer and go and pick it up yourself. You could do it in a single (long) day.
    I don't have a hitch - I wish I did. I have some friends with trailers. I need to install one in my Passat wagon to get a better bicycle rack anyway.
    I have three kids and am short on time. USHIP gave me an estimate that it should be about $180 which would definitely be worth it to me. But, for $500...too much.

Done it twice. Paid with escrow.com for the bikes. Smooth like butter.

Where's the bike?

LRRS/CCS #66

Lifer

Taberg, NY, just outside of Utica

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I don't have a hitch - I wish I did.
    You could rent a half ton full size truck from Enterprise, borrow a ramp and some tie downs. Admittedly it would take time which you mention you are short of but maybe turn it into a family road trip to some touristy place near the bike.

I feel like Rada lives in that neck of the woods. Maybe you could throw him a hundi and he'll bring it to Loudon end of April?

LRRS/CCS #66

xxaarraa

I bought a bike last year from north of Portland, OR and had the seller ship it. Paid the full amount up front via paypal, and he held up his end in the weeks after. No title, bill of sale exchanged via email.

My general practice when buying cars or bikes is to get a feel for the rest of the seller's garage. Seeing what else is in there and what condition everything is in usually gives me enough information to gauge if the person is going to be legit.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I used escrow.com a couple of times, once buying, once selling, and found it worth the fee.

Pay Online Securely with Escrow.com | Escrow is better than PayPal
    I used this service on my last out of state purchase. Made both me the buyer and the seller comfortable. We both knew the money was real, we were both protected.

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post

My general practice when buying cars or bikes is to get a feel for the rest of the seller's garage. Seeing what else is in there and what condition everything is in usually gives me enough information to gauge if the person is going to be legit.
    I recently sold one of my Ducati's. The buyer showed up at my house, saw what was in the garage and said 'Anyone with 3 Ducati's in their garage must know what they are doing'

Lol, made him comfortable anyway...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast