Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Buying a bike from out of state and using USHIP

Re: Buying a bike from out of state and using USHIP

Last summer I coordinated a few bike shipments, Two were for a buddy who was moving back to Australia and taking his bikes with him (RI to Baltimore, $370ea) and another when I bought my current track bike project (NJ to RI $300). I paid for the bike via paypal and handled the paperwork via mail and it worked for me but I'm sure somebody here had less luck. The had a small open trailer that barely fit the bikes but it got the job done and saved me a lot of driving and diesel.

I also had a co-worker just pick up a Harley out of daytona and the major shippers came out to nearly the same price as the smaller local guys coming back from bike week. He told me it was $300 to ship from daytona but I don't know if that was a real number or guesstimate. I'm also sure the fact that there are a ton of shippers already coming this direction after Daytona helped the cost a little.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

UShip is just a broker and charges a fee for hooking you up with a bike transporter. You'll save $50-$100 if you just contact a good shipper directly to make the arrangements. I can recommend one if you'd like.

When I sold a bike on eBay a couple of years ago, I took a $500 PayPal deposit and the rest was FedEx'd to me in the form of a bank check. Once it cleared, I FedEx'd the title and keys to the buyer. He made arrangements with a shipper that I recommended and I just had to roll the bike to the end of the driveway for loading. It worked out great and the buyer was thrilled. And I saved considerable PayPal fees by doing it this way.

I wouldn't buy a bike this way from a total stranger unless it was through eBay or through recommendation from a mutual friend. Otherwise, there's risk involved. We all know about the plethora of scammers out there.

I compared uship to some of the major shippers (like federal) and it was definitely cheaper with uship. I think it gives a platform for a smaller transport company to get their hat in the ring. Seem to recall the fee came off the transporters end. They had a promo where you got money back after your first transaction on uship, too.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
    My general practice when buying cars or bikes is to get a feel for the rest of the seller's garage. Seeing what else is in there and what condition everything is in usually gives me enough information to gauge if the person is going to be legit.
    No way. If I'm selling a bike to some rando from Craigslist, I'm meeting them with the bike at a location that's not at my house and definitely not telling them about what other toys I may also have in the garage.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    If I'm selling a bike to some RandyO from Craigslist, I'm meeting him with the bike at a location that's not at my house and definitely not telling him about what other toys I may also have in the garage.
    Oh come on, worst that will happen is he'll tell you how much better everything was 50 years ago.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12