Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

c29 code SV650

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

c29 code SV650

Have a 09 sv650 and went to start it as normal during the winter.
    Started fine but..... the redlight appeared and the "FI" signal on the dash.
    I did some research and found out how to uncover the code ( paperclip/ wire jump)

Dealer code that showed on the dash was C29
    Secondary throttle position sensor.
    Well now.. i'm not to sure what do next.
    Any ideas? I have never gotten this deep with a bike before( using engine codes), so any direction is appreciated.

Bike was on a tender with stabil in it. Oil was recently changed before winter came in. and I actually let the bike run for 30 min before shutting her down

I'm going to do some research but if anyone has any direction i'd appreciate it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Lifer

Re: c29 code SV650

I'd start with checking connectors.

Do you know what the secondary throttle valves are? On my DL I can look up under the tank and see the linkage linking the butterflies cycle from full open to closed when I first turn the ignition on. Does yours cycle?

I had a "C28: Secondary Throttle Valve Actuator" code. Turns out I'm one of the worlds' worst motorcycle mechanics and managed to get a wad of paper towel jammed down the air box boot. This prevented the stva butterflies from closing all the way. My guess is there is a limit sensor on the butterflies and your sensor isn't reading.

no I'm not sure what they are.. But i'm searchign online and seeing if I can find some sort of tutorial. Bike currently runs and revs no problem.
    actually have to go put soem gas in it as I took out all the gas and and was going to refill it with new fresh gas with no stabile in case that was an issue.
    once I get soem gas I'll turn her over again and see the valves actuating or not.

hmmmm......

Lifer

When you twist the throttle, you operate the primary butterflies located near the bottom of the throttle body. Suzuki adds a 2nd set of valves higher up on the throttle body that is controlled by a servo connected to the ECU. The ECU uses this "secondary" throttle to "smooth" power delivery. The idea is if you whack the throttle WFO, the computer will gradually open the STVA to save you from your own stupidity. Or some such.

IIRC there is only one actuator on one of the throttle bodies. The flapper on the other one is controlled by a linkage. You should be able to see the linkages move when you first cycle the key from off to run.

I doubt stabil is your issue.

The service manual basically says check the wiring to the sensor and then check the sensor itself.

With the key on the red wire to the sensor should read about 5 volts.
    With the key off, the yellow wire should not be shorted to ground.
    The sensor should read between 580 ohms (closed) and 4380 ohms (open) as the stv's are operated through their range of motion across the pins that lead to the yellow and black wires.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

well update

i went down to see the butterflies, took off the tank and then saw that per the pic below the connection with the red and yellow wires was hanging loose, notc29 code SV650-photo-jpg sure why or how. as it has just sat for the past 4 months. Either way i plugged it back into what i thought wit belogned. Turned thebike over and voila code gone.

Thanks bubba.. and golden chicken. I found the serv manual.. and was about to check the connections. guess the connection literally wasnt connected

now onto seeing if i can fix the blower on the wife's Saab...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by black; 02-11-14 at 09:37 PM.
    hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    now onto seeing if i can fix the blower on the wife's Saab...
    Give it a rap with a hammer.

actually thats what the ssab board said.. soem times it "gets stuck" due to corrosion, if nto then remove, lube clean, di electric grease then replace

hmmmm......

I've seen the connectors and/or the blower resistor burn up too.

yeah.. the rap didnt work.. I'll break into it tomorrow after work then, i'll order soem resistors as they're only like 20$

hmmmm......

Lifer

About 1 in 4 or 5 times when I put my air box assembly or fuel tank back on I turn the key and get greeted by a code only to find out I missed plugging something back in. I'm good like that. Fortunately for me, someone hacked my SV's wiring down substantially; way fewer connectors to forget to reconnect.

Recently I put the tank back on my KLX only to find it ran like shit and needed the petcock to be on prime. I don't know why it wasn't immediately obvious, but I had missed the vacuum line that connects to the automagic petcock.

Summary: It happens, at least it does to me.