Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

My cage is driving me nuts!!!

My cage is driving me nuts!!!

WTF is up with the weather lately?!? I know what you're gonna say, harden the fuck up, gear up, and ride. Well to hell with that, least of the problem is I can't stand rain gear. The biggest problem is when it's raining drivers in the greater Boston area go from just being stupid to full fucking retard. I don't know what it is about the rain, it takes twice as long to get anywhere and people are twice as aggressive. Think you're hard to see on a bright sunny day? You're damn near invisible in a cloud of road spray. Fuck Boston, I need to move back to the country.

Ok, I'm done for now....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Re: My cage is driving me nuts!!!

My thoughts exactly..minus moving back to the country

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Go to Chipotle.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have ridden in the rain a lot and all kinds of rain mostly in San Diego, but also a few times here in Boston during rush hour. honestly, the worst part about it isn't the cars or rain gear, its the water on the visor. it can be impossible to see with the rain and spray hitting you in the face. Also, the only rain gear i use is wear waterproof pants. I just wear my same trusty leather A* jacket not matter the weather. just throw an extra layer under it if its cold. And if it isn't too cold, i just wear my A* GP plus gloves as well. I have had that jacket and gloves for 2+ years and 30K+ miles.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I agree completely. Screw this weather. Give me some sunshine dammit.

Proper raingear and planning (like RainX on your faceshield) and rain riding is not something I mind at all - but not in heavy traffic.

Most people cannot drive in the dry and have no concept of stopping distances and following distances. Add rain and idiots become retards!

I'll take doing 120mph in the rain on a racetrack over doing 50mph in traffic all day long!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    Proper raingear and planning (like RainX on your faceshield) and rain riding is not something I mind at all.
    Never heard of using RainX before. What specifically do you use? I saw the anti fogging but never have an issue with fogging.

Some say rainx hurts plastic, but I've never kept a shield long enough to see any problems. Rain x it and you don't have to deal with water pooling on the faceshield at low speeds.

For fogging I used to race with FOG CITY inserts, but there are lots of options now.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Some say rainx hurts plastic, but I've never kept a shield long enough to see any problems.
    HJC actually recommends it.... http://hjchelmets.com/v2kx2/shield_care.htm

I ride regardless of weather as long as it's warm (warm is relative 50 and rain is fine). I decided weather to wear my rain gear based on my mood. Some days I (rain) gear up. Some times I just throw a change of clothes in the bag and get wet.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The getting wet part isn't a real big deal, it's all the idiots driving around Boston that really screw it up. Since Bridgewater to Boston is 99% of my driving these days I regretfully leave the Speedy in the garage if it's raining. Cold doesn't bother me, I'll keep riding until they start to salt the roads and start again as soon as I think it's washed off enough.

Some say rainx hurts plastic, but I've never kept a shield long enough to see any problems. Rain x it and you don't have to deal with water pooling on the faceshield at low speeds.
    More specifically, RainX hurts some plastics. Most modern full-face helmet shields are fine, but some of the cheaper shields available to snap onto open-face helmets, for instance, are affected by RainX. It seems to react with the plastic and basically melt its surface, introducing distortion, cloudiness, etc.

Best bet is to test RainX on the outer part of your shield to make sure it doesn't react with it. But as I said, if it's a modern full-face helmet, it's very likely to work fine.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Fuck Boston, the most traffic ridden city I've ever seen here. Every time I go into the city, which is rare in and of itself, I get lost. One way streets, constant traffic jams, no parking....IT doesn't matter if it's Boston too. Even outside the Metro area, I notice an extreme reduction in people's driving ability. I swear to God, MA is like an Alzheimer's state - every weather change, it's like they're driving in it for the first time.

You need to help yourself first before you can help anyone else.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R [Haku]
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 [Kiku]

Well, I rolled the dice and it looks like I'll be in it today. Looked like scattered T-storms when I left this morning. Now it appears I'd be better suited riding an Ark instead of my Speedy.

Besides rainX you can use regular old carwax .. I've been doing it for years and the water rolls right off. I don't mind the rain, last night in pouring rain, hail and lightening I had a great ride all the way home.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

Safe travels! I got caught in the beginning of the storm last night, almost got blown off the road. Hope the Boston drivers have some mercy on a drenched rider!

I went out for a ride during lunch, took a detour back to my house to pick up some stuff and BAMM I heard the thunder. Promptly took off my gear ,got into my cage and drove it back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by daisha View Post
    Safe travels! I got caught in the beginning of the storm last night, almost got blown off the road. Hope the Boston drivers have some mercy on a drenched rider!
    Most folks will give me enough room provided they see me. Especially approaching a busy intersections and slower roads, I always have my fingers covering the brakes and my headlights switched on. I even picked up this habit of swaying (headlights on) a bit whilst approaching an intersection so the drivers can better see me (think I saw this posted by a MSF'ish organisation from England)

Well fawk, made it home despite no less that 6 counts of attempted murder. 93S and Rt 24S are not the place to be in the rain.