Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Calling Suomy Experts

Calling Suomy Experts

Years back, I spent a lot of time and effort picking out my helmet: the Suomy Vandal. Its since been discontinued and it could use a replacement. I tried on some lids this weekend, but nothing was quite as good as my Medium Vandal.

Right now the Suomy line includes the following:
    -Apex
    -Halo
    -SR Sport

The Halo is a budget helmet...quick release and all that jazz, so that's out. Does anyone know if either the Apex or SR Sport fit the same as the Vandal? I'm also a bit concerned about weight. That was a huge selling point of the Vandal. Its a bit loud, but a set of ear-plugs fixes that.

I also don't know when they discontinued the Vandal. If I could get a helmet dated 2015, I'd be OK with that. I spent more time than I'd like to admit googling for specs (I even emailed Suomy with no response) and have not come up with anything.

Help?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Re: Calling Suomy Experts

All I ever wore was the Suomy Spec 1R, and the "new" SR Sport is pretty much an exact fitting update of the Spec 1R. Don't know if that helps, but it may give you a reference if you've ever worn a Spec 1R.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    All I ever wore was the Suomy Spec 1R, and the "new" SR Sport is pretty much an exact fitting update of the Spec 1R. Don't know if that helps, but it may give you a reference if you've ever worn a Spec 1R.
    I agree with this guy!

I had a Spec 1R...friggin fantastic helmet. Ive moved over to mostly Shoei, its the only one that fits me like the Spec 1R did....have not tried on a SR Sport, but the other models were not an acceptable fit for me.

Hmmm, the RF1200 does not fit me all that great...too loose in the cheeks. So if the Spec1R and the Shoei's are fitting you the same, I may be out of luck.

I always customize mine, with correct fitting pads and whatnot. Easily interchangable

^zactly. I usually have to either buy different cheek pads or request a swap when ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Years back, I spent a lot of time and effort picking out my helmet: the Suomy Vandal. Its since been discontinued and it could use a replacement. I tried on some lids this weekend, but nothing was quite as good as my Medium Vandal.

Right now the Suomy line includes the following:
    -Apex
    -Halo
    -SR Sport

The Halo is a budget helmet...quick release and all that jazz, so that's out. Does anyone know if either the Apex or SR Sport fit the same as the Vandal? I'm also a bit concerned about weight. That was a huge selling point of the Vandal. Its a bit loud, but a set of ear-plugs fixes that.

I also don't know when they discontinued the Vandal. If I could get a helmet dated 2015, I'd be OK with that. I spent more time than I'd like to admit googling for specs (I even emailed Suomy with no response) and have not come up with anything.

Help?
    Apex is the Vandal, SR Sport is the top tier (Spec 1r). You're welcome to try on one of my M SR Sports with SM cheek pads to confirm fit at rd. 1.

Fun fact, SR Sport now uses Vandal visor mechanism so your old Vandal visors will fit new SR Sports.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Apex is the Vandal, SR Sport is the top tier (Spec 1r). You're welcome to try on one of my M SR Sports with SM cheek pads to confirm fit at rd. 1.

Fun fact, SR Sport now uses Vandal visor mechanism so your old Vandal visors will fit new SR Sports.
    Any idea if the Apex is as light as the Vandal? How does weight between SR Sport and Apex compare? I saw that the visors are the same between the two, which made me think the fit may be, but the price point was much different.

Any idea if the Apex is as light as the Vandal? How does weight between SR Sport and Apex compare? I saw that the visors are the same between the two, which made me think the fit may be, but the price point was much different.
    Apex and Vandal weight are comparable. Apex is heavier than SR Sport. Apex has same head shape as the old Vandal (slight oval) - SR Sport is more rounded like the old Spec 1r. I just remembered I have an Apex (M) at home, I'll try and remember to pack it. If it fits, you can have it on the cheap. Bought for a gf that wore it maybe twice so it has that hot chick smell going on.

Last edited by cdovego; 04-26-16 at 01:50 PM.

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Apex at home ->Calling Suomy Experts-helmet_suomy_apex_silver_anthracite_2-jpg

Apex and Vandal weight are comparable. Apex is heavier than SR Sport. Apex has same head shape as the old Vandal (slight oval) - SR Sport is more rounded like the old Spec 1r. I just remembered I have an Apex (M) at home, I'll try and remember to pack it. If it fits, you can have it on the cheap. Bought for a gf that wore it maybe twice so it has that hot chick smell going on.
    Ha! Do you know the date of the helmet? May take you up on that. If you have mediums in all these helmets, I may just need to take a trip and try them all on.

Ha! Do you know the date of the helmet? May take you up on that. If you have mediums in all these helmets, I may just need to take a trip and try them all on.
    You're welcome to stop by.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll look at date tonight, it was purchased new last year - I'd assume date of '14 or '15. Will confirm...

Apex at home ->Calling Suomy Experts-helmet_suomy_apex_silver_anthracite_2-jpg
    I have this same model helmet and really like the fit/weight of it. For comparison, I also have a Shoei X12 and HJC RPS-10 which fit my head shape. The Suomy is by far the lightest of the three.

Bummer to report '12 - you'd get this season and next out of it. I'll have it at rd 1 in the box truck. It's a M.

Bummer to report '12 - you'd get this season and next out of it. I'll have it at rd 1 in the box truck. It's a M.
    Dammit. That's the date of my current helmet. I still may take you up on trying them all on though if I can find some time that works for both of us. Thanks for all the info and the offer

Easy stuff, you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I agree with this guy!

I had a Spec 1R...friggin fantastic helmet. Ive moved over to mostly Shoei, its the only one that fits me like the Spec 1R did....have not tried on a SR Sport, but the other models were not an acceptable fit for me.
    my experience was the opposite. I've had many Spec1Rs and SR Sports. they fit great. I believe it was an RF1100 I tired on many years ago and I think an X-11, they didn't fit at all. the crown was way different.

I wish helmet fitting had more of a science to it, but it seems like personal opinion mostly. I also think just 'trying on' any top level helmet will feel pretty good....to really get a feel and be able to judge, at least for me, was to wear them for long periods of time.

In addition to 'fit' I also consider 'feel' when I purchase.

I will also make the disclaimer that when I owned my first Suomy Spec1R it wasnt sized properly, I bought it too big...then it broke in. It sucked at any speed above legal. Moving to my 2nd Spec1R, I was more educated and particular. It was sized properly and was such a huge improvement over the first one that I was very very pleased with it.

10 years later, I am even moreso particular and find Shoei RF1200 (Ive had a 1000 and an 1100, too) to fit exceptionally well. My X12 (racing only for me) fits amazing. So, I may be remembering the feeling of being pleased about my 2nd Spec1R fitting properly compared to the first one I owned. It is possible that If I wore the Suomy and Shoei back to back it would be a large difference.

Arai....I wish it would work, it just dosent....every time I try. And I keep trying.