Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Back from Canada... didn't take the SV

Lifer

Well I'm back from my vacation. I had a lot of fun in various places in NB and NS, but my SV didn't make the trip with me.

I had rode the SV out to Troy NY (where I went to college) last weekend. The ride out friday night was awesome. From Chelmsford, MA to Troy on Rt. 2 in two hours and twenty minutes. No traffic at all.

Saturday I went to Thatcher state park, which is like a half hour west of Albany, that was a good ride too.

Sunday it was raining, I had forgotten my boot covers. After about 50 miles my boots and gloves were soaked, it was like 40F, and the front cylinder on my SV stopped running right as I got up into the Berkshires. I ended up stopping in Chicopee, MA and staying with my grandparents. It took me like 3 hours to go like 100 miles! I was supposed to get home Sunday, re-pack, and get ready to go to Canada.

Monday morning I left first thing from their house at like 6:30AM. Within an hour I was having to pull over to let the bike warm up/dry off to keep the front cylinder running, and I noticed the rear brake pedal was not activating the brake lights.

I eventually made it home by about 11AM. I had to stop several times. I was quite wet and frozen.

I almost cancelled my vacation and went into work, but instead took off in the car. I threw my bicycle in the back and went and rode the bicycle some of the places I would have gone riding. Some of the places I went were the Fundy National park, Halifax, Mahone Bay/Lunenberg/Blue Rocks, St. Stephen/Calais, and then yesterday I stayed in Bar Harbor, ME, which actually seemed like the prettiest place.

Final total, I saw rain every single day except one, there was snow accumulating on the road one day, and I never saw a single motorcyclist in Canada except for a few people right in Halifax. It would have taken me a long freaking time to get there if I had tried to go on my bike with the front cylinder cutting out every time the rain picked up really hard. Some of the roads in New Brunswick were seriously boring too, so I'm not sure I'd choose to go up that way again. If I ever ride up there, I'll take the ferry and skip New Brunswick.

I just got home today, I ran the SV for a while, the front cylinder still misfired a couple times when I first started it up. Either tonight or tomorrow morning I'm going to try and check if anything is loose (spark plug?), and try and figure out what's up with the brake pedal. (Hopefully it's just a fuse or something)

I hope I don't get stuck in such nasty rain again, but next time I'll be ready for it... My gear worked other than my boots and gloves.

Ben

[Edited on 5/18/02 by benSV]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ben two quick things to check on the right hand side of your motor about halfway down the cylinder, you will see a hole about 1/8 inch dia. this is a drain hole for any moisture that may get under the spark plug boot, run a wire pipe cleaner thru it, insects have a habit of making nest in that hole next check your spark plug boot, make sure that it is clean and dry around the spark plug and that the boot seals to keep moisture & dirt away from the plug.

I have had that happen to my SV, and have heard of it often.

sorry to hear you had a rainey trip and that the SV didn't make it, Sound like you made the best of it though.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Thanks for the tips. Yesterday I pulled out the manual and checked the air filter, spark plugs, drains, etc.. I didn't know about the one in the side of the block though, I had seen that one yesterday but didn't know what it was. I will get some pipe cleaners and clean it out.

I think the front plug cap might have been a little loose. I didn't find water anywhere, but the bike had sat for 4 or 5 days drying off in the garage. Yesterday I rode out to the Seacoast, and the bike ran great the whole time.

The rear brake switch had just come out of adjustment. I may try to lubricate it, but once I actually found the switch and fiddled with the adjuster it started working again.

I'm going to Northern VT for the 3-day weekend I think, so hopefully the bad weather last week will be made up for by good weather this coming weekend.

Thanks,
    Ben

Bikeless Prick

Hey Ben... sorry to hear about the weather.

Did almost the same trip last year, but in reverse. We went in mid-August, so the weather was a bit warmer. Bay of Fundy is beautiful... did ya go through Alma and see the tidal change?

We didn't make it as far north as we hoped, we wanted to do the Cabot Trail... maybe this year.

Rich

Lifer

Yes,

On Tuesday I stopped in Alma and did a 10k hike in the Fundy national park. There was actually a good amount of snow on the ground there, but that is a beautiful place.

I didn't make it to the Cabot trail. It is supposedly another 4 hours north of Halifax. By the time I made it to Halifax I was totally sick of being in the car, so I decided to go see other stuff that was closer.

I will get pictures up on my website eventually.

Ben

Bikeless Prick

Bar Harbor's great too. There's a good bar there... Carmen Veranda?

That might be a good group trip... I think there's a ferry from there to Nova Scotia too.

Rich

Lifer

I liked Bar Harbor enough that I already booked hotel rooms for two nights in July. The reservations are for the middle of the week, but if anyone wants to come up and ride, that would be cool.

You can't beat a place with bars, beaches, and a mountain+state park all in close proximity.

Only thing is figuring out a way to get my motorcycle *and* a bicycle there, I really want to ride my bicycle up Caddilac Mountain.

Ben

Bikeless Prick

Ride *UP* Cadillac mountain... on a bike? Dude, do you know how many beers you'd have to consume to make up for all the calories you'd burn doing that?

Hey, take your SV up and rent a bicycle when ya get there.

Rich

ooh, that reminds me... there's a *great* stout w/ the cadillac mountain label. perfect for getting some calories back after that ride.
    -t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Bikeless Prick

Ya... there's a bunch of great beer up there. Blueberry Ale, Oatmeal Stout...

I usually get through one of each of those and then I'm tanked!

Rich