Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Results 1 to 21 of 21

This is why we can't have nice things

  1. #1
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,287

    This is why we can't have nice things


    I got the KTM suspension back from Factory Connection. As you may recall, they couldn't re-use one of the fork tubes due to damage and "repair" by the previous owner. Well, words don't do it justice:

    This is why we can't have nice things-img_7535-jpg

    The fork tube has been hit hard enough to snap a piece of metal off the tube! It has then been repaired with epoxy, sanded down, and a fork protector put over it.

    I should have done a (better) job inspecting the bike before I bought it, but fuck, I would never knowingly sell anything like this to somebody.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  2. #2

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    wow...that sucks...

    used dirt bikes are tough though...they really get the worst abuse out there because of the harsh environment they are in...sometimes (particularly internals) you can't tell how much abuse is on there until something stops working and you take it apart yourself

    I've damaged a fork lug on my own...mushed the cast threads tapping an axle back into place...I found the best option was to find another set of used forks and use the parts you want...although they can sometimes be just as worn out and new is often your safest bet. I dunno...seems to add up in cost either way. buy another bike

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

  3. #3
    Changes come butcher bergs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the humbling river
    Posts
    12,524

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    What kind of bag of shit sells something like that at all without disclosing it?

    Someone here?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,785

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Shit like this is why I'll probably buy new if I ever drink the orange kool aid. People just beat the fuck out of those things and you just never know what you're really getting.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  5. #5
    its in my blood caloots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    What a dick.. how long ago did you buy it? I'd send him that pic.. say ur on to him

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Lifer backinthesaddle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Valley of Hope, Rhode Island
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,628

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    That sucks. Back in 82 I bought a used 79 PE175 Suzuki. First time I removed air filter it had a hole in the bottom of it. Needless to say a couple weeks later the lower end rod bearing went and piston hit the cylinder head. There was no trace of sand in the air boot but I should have pulled the top end once I saw that hole.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Lifer Chippertheripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    the fairest of havens
    Age
    41
    Posts
    14,007

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Man, that's tough.
    Fuck that guy.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

  8. #8
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,287

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    wow...that sucks...

    used dirt bikes are tough though...they really get the worst abuse out there because of the harsh environment they are in...sometimes (particularly internals) you can't tell how much abuse is on there until something stops working and you take it apart yourself

    I've damaged a fork lug on my own...mushed the cast threads tapping an axle back into place...I found the best option was to find another set of used forks and use the parts you want...although they can sometimes be just as worn out and new is often your safest bet. I dunno...seems to add up in cost either way. buy another bike
    The cost didn't end up being too bad as I got a used set of forks (for parts) on eBay for $200.

    Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    What kind of bag of shit sells something like that at all without disclosing it?

    Someone here?
    Nah, it was a random Craigslist guy. In New Hampshire, I think.

    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Shit like this is why I'll probably buy new if I ever drink the orange kool aid. People just beat the fuck out of those things and you just never know what you're really getting.
    You could say that about anything, I guess. I could have bought an '05 CRF that was in bad shape too.

    Next time I will do what I did with the CRF I have now, i.e. buy it off someone who's had it for a year, maintained it well and is buying a new bike because they buy one every year.

    Quote Originally Posted by caloots View Post
    What a dick.. how long ago did you buy it? I'd send him that pic.. say ur on to him

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    I'll send it but it was a Craigslist ad last year. I doubt he's gonna reply..

    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    That sucks. Back in 82 I bought a used 79 PE175 Suzuki. First time I removed air filter it had a hole in the bottom of it. Needless to say a couple weeks later the lower end rod bearing went and piston hit the cylinder head. There was no trace of sand in the air boot but I should have pulled the top end once I saw that hole.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Man, that's tough.
    Fuck that guy.
    Yep.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  9. #9
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    WTF.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  10. #10
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,287

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by typeone View Post
    WTF.
    Again, it's half my fault for not looking over it.

    But still, fuck that guy.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  11. #11
    Lifer typeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    central MA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    6,953

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    depends how the fork was rotated when you looked it over. with a guard covering it, who would think a huge chunk would be missing from a fork tube (?) sure, if the legs were bleeding you'd look deeper but man that is super shitty to hide that kind of damage.

    mail him some anthrax, old skool style.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beta 200RR

  12. #12
    Rookie Rada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Granville, NY
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    What a dildo

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #13
    its in my blood caloots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    The cost didn't end up being too bad as I got a used set of forks (for parts) on eBay for $200.

    Nah, it was a random Craigslist guy. In New Hampshire, I think.

    You could say that about anything, I guess. I could have bought an '05 CRF that was in bad shape too.

    Next time I will do what I did with the CRF I have now, i.e. buy it off someone who's had it for a year, maintained it well and is buying a new bike because they buy one every year.

    I'll send it but it was a Craigslist ad last year. I doubt he's gonna reply..



    Yep.
    He isn't going to reply. But send it anyway and just say you will see him in court for repair cost reimbursement. Just to amuse yourself

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Lifer Tekime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Falmouth, ME
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Edit: wrong thread...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tekime; 04-18-17 at 10:42 PM.
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

  15. #15

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Mail him a bag of d!cks with anthrax

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke: ** 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 500R **
    instagram @veshlife

  16. #16
    Lifer Kurlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterboro ME
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,938

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    So, just to add some fun to the conversation: The damage may not have been from a hit but a crap-ass attempt at a seal swap by a meat head with no clue what they're doing. I would expect a hit there hard enough to blow a chunk out like that to have also taken out the lower tube. On the flip side, if you're using the wrong tools for extracting the seal, for fun let's just pretend one of those tools is a hammer...

    Sadly, I can speak from experience having observed this failure mode being done to one of my forks... I still don't know what higher power prevented me from killing the guy on the spot that day.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    771 Racing -=- FaceBook
    Mistake - 1992 WR250ZD / 2000 LS650P / 2019 KTM 150SX / 2016 KTM 250XC

  17. #17
    Kosher Assassin Stoneman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Center Barnstead, NH
    Posts
    1,125,237

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Just tossing it out there: Is there a chance the dude you bought it from may have not known about that? Maybe the guy he grabbed it from made the repair and didn't disclose it to him? Maybe?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

  18. #18
    Senior Member AEG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Simsbury, CT
    Posts
    627

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Just tossing it out there: Is there a chance the dude you bought it from may have not known about that? Maybe the guy he grabbed it from made the repair and didn't disclose it to him? Maybe?
    Funny how the same thought crossed my mind while reading this thread This is why we can't have nice things

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Lifer loudbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,432

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I still don't know what higher power prevented me from killing the guy on the spot that day.
    Comically skinny wrists?

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

  20. #20
    Backwoods lobster boy number9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hanover, NH
    Posts
    4,287

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    Just tossing it out there: Is there a chance the dude you bought it from may have not known about that? Maybe the guy he grabbed it from made the repair and didn't disclose it to him? Maybe?
    It's possible, sure, but he said he owned the bike for several (many?) years.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

  21. #21
    its in my blood caloots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    1,390

    Re: This is why we can't have nice things

    Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Mail him a bag of d!cks with anthrax
    Hahahaha

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •