Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cape Breton (Van supported)

Cape Breton (Van supported)

OK, back from an incredible week in Nova Scotia with Jersey Girl. We split the long drive up by starting from Portland ME in Thursday evening and sleeping at a truck stop on the Trans Canada Highway. Then finished up the long slog to our campsite at Ingonish by Friday afternoon.

Yes, we trailered the bikes. Before you bust on us for this let me say it was the best thing since sliced bread! We reserved a campsite at Broad Cove for 4 nights. Once we set up the van/canopy/outdoor kitchen the van didn't turn a wheel until we left on monday afternoon. We lived in comfort with my new awning and ARB fridge and I was able to bring my surf gear just in case...

The waves were pumping when we pulled up, so I jumped in for a surf at the rivermouth right at our campsite and caught a handful of bombs. The rip current was intense. Nobody else in the water.

The next day was foggy and rainy, so we rode to Baddeck to see the Bell Museum and generally poked around.

Saturday dawned clear as a bell so we geared up and rode the Cabot Trail counter clockwise. Ingonish is the entrance to the highlands up north, and the ride was spectacular right out of the gate. We stopped to hike the Skyline Trail, which is a do not miss!

Then lunch in Cheticamp, and finished up the southern part of the loop in the afternoon. Honestly, if I were to skip one thing next time, it would be the ride from cheticamp to Baddeck. It's pretty, but not spectacular like the highlands.

Good weather returned for Sunday, so we hiked middle head and went on a whale watch. THese were also not to be missed. Gorgeous!

Monday was another sparkling day so we rode Ingonish to Meat Cove (northern most community), to Cheticamp, and then back tracked to Ingonish. No stopping to gawk this time. Just riding and getting into the flow of the road.

I give this trip a 10 out of 10. Trailering up and back was key, and gave us the van to use as home base.

Attached Thumbnails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cape Breton (Van supported)-11836733_1120464887982718_166013491378377950_n-jpg   Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150802_082135-jpg   Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150801_091908-jpg   Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150801_103810-jpg  

Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150801_104720-jpg  

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Paul_E_D; 08-05-15 at 06:15 AM.
    Paul_E_D

Re: Cape Breton (Van supported)

no pics of macking rivermouth?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hahaa, no time. I ran straight into the water, and Kerry was putting the stock rearsets back on her bike. By the time she came out to the beach I had just ridden my last wave to the edge of the river nearly getting pounded in the crazy shore break! These waves were not pretty, but they were steaming in from the north atlantic at like 25 mph! I got 2 big top turns off before it just folded on itself and detonated in the rip current. There was a huge sandy plume going out to sea from the river. That thing looked completely different every time we went down there. Crazy coastline up there I tell you.

Paul_E_D

OK, here are a few more pics. A little taste of the surf, and a few hikes that we did. These hikes are all pretty short. 1-2 hours max. Usually they go out and back, and they are HIGHLY worth it. So glad we didn't skip doing a handful of these. I think you can see some excitement on Kerry's face?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150802_090326-jpg   Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150801_104307-jpg   Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150730_160151_hdr-jpg   Cape Breton (Van supported)-20150802_090233-jpg  

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Very jealous, we've got to do that loop again, one of the best trips ever. We saw at least a moose a day when we were there, including a few on the path in to Skyline Trail.

'02 SV650 street|woods|race LRRS #128

Looks awesome!

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Moose proved elusive to us, but Bald Eagles were everywhere. We started a wildlife sighting list on the whiteboard in the van. Barred owl, Guilemots, albatross, 11 eagles, woodcocks (hehe), loons, and the ever present and LOUD red squirrels. LOL

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    OK, here are a few more pics. A little taste of the surf, and a few hikes that we did. These hikes are all pretty short. 1-2 hours max. Usually they go out and back, and they are HIGHLY worth it. So glad we didn't skip doing a handful of these. I think you can see some excitement on Kerry's face?
    Thats great taking time to smell the roses !
    My next trip up there i need to do more of that than making the next destination on time.
    P.S Tried to give ya a thumbs up and it wound up red down somehow. Sorry.

Last edited by Kawi Ken; 08-07-15 at 04:45 PM.