Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Careful if you ride in Vermont...

Careful if you ride in Vermont...

State police is cracking down on speeding. No tolerance policy, even 1mph over potentially (which is bullshit because no speedometer is that accurate).

So if you ride in Vermont between now and Labor Day, be even more watchful for police.

http://www.wcax.com/story/18936326/v...arget-speeders

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

• 42 people have been killed in crashes this year
    • 5 on interstates
    • 11 on U.S. routes
    • 26 on secondary roads

• January has been the deadliest month
    • Sunday the deadliest day
    • 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. the deadliest hours

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Good to know. I'll be avoiding our upside down neighbor until the foliage season. Live free or drive 5-10 mph over posted speed limits!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fahk.

How about cracking down on dipshit drivers, especially the drunk ones. Oh wait, that would make too much much sense.

Oh that's right..... Speed Kills!!!!!

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

There should be stiff fines for crashing into things. It strikes me as odd that people routinely get ticketed for speeding because the state thinks it increases the odds of an accident, but people are often not ticketed at accidents when they have just proven that they were clearly driving in a manner that will result in an accident.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

The speed crackdown will last through Labor Day.
    Avoid VT until Labor Day. Got it...

.................When I think of what I did there this weekend.....ugh

Wirelessly posted

1/4 caused by speed, 1/3 by drinking and driving yet there still more concerned about the speeding aspect not the drinking and driving.... Fuckin stupid

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Corey

I'm hoping the PR campaign is bigger than the enforcement campaign, but I fear otherwise.

I'd not mind at all if they were camping out in some of the villages that get blown through regularly, where exceptionally limited sight distance and numerous curb cuts make 30 MPH plenty fast enough, but those rural stretches between towns are another story.

+1 on everything you said, Kevin.

My other concern is that attempts to enforce this on I-89, especially around Burlington, are just going to end up resulting in a more dangerous situation, with people slamming on their brakes when they see a speed trap up ahead. I hope the state troopers are smart about where they put speed traps and give some thought to the bigger picture. But I expect that's asking a bit much...

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    My other concern is that attempts to enforce this on I-89, especially around Burlington, are just going to end up resulting in a more dangerous situation, with people slamming on their brakes when they see a speed trap up ahead. I hope the state troopers are smart about where they put speed traps and give some thought to the bigger picture. But I expect that's asking a bit much...

--mark
    Go figure, huh? Come around a turn, see a figure behind a dark unmarked car, hand bracing the forearm of another that has a gun pointed at traffic and everyone is supposed to drive on by normally not thinking they're about to be the victim of a terrorist attack or a copy cat of the DC sniper?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Go figure, huh? Come around a turn, see a figure behind a dark unmarked car, hand bracing the forearm of another that has a gun pointed at traffic and everyone is supposed to drive on by normally not thinking they're about to be the victim of a terrorist attack or a copy cat of the DC sniper?
    I was thinking more of people thinking, "Oh shit, cop, I don't want a ticket!" and slamming on their brakes, causing traffic to suddenly stack up behind them.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I was thinking more of people thinking, "Oh shit, cop, I don't want a ticket!" and slamming on their brakes, causing traffic to suddenly stack up behind them.

--mark
    Yeah, I know what you were thinking but it was an opportunity for me to complain about the posture some officers take when operating a RADAR/LIDAR gun.

I'd bet it's the same everywhere nh, etc... , I just got a ticket for 57 in a 30 on rt 47 in new hampshire, anyone know a good cheap lawyer for nh traffic tickets?

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

Vermont seems to love drunk drivers, or at least are pretty tolerant of 'em. Fine em and get them back on the road. Repeat six or eight times until they hurt someone, then everyone acts surprised. Not a fan of folks driving stupid and fast, but why does driving fast get lumped into the same boat as driving drunk? Crazy town.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxxbird View Post
    I'd bet it's the same everywhere nh, etc... , I just got a ticket for 57 in a 30 on rt 47 in new hampshire, anyone know a good cheap lawyer for nh traffic tickets?

You get Sheriff Buford T Justice? That guy's a dick. Good luck, it's a good 'ole boys club up there.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    You get Sheriff Buford T Justice? That guy's a dick. Good luck, it's a good 'ole boys club up there.
    dunno... I have court August 7th at Goffstown District Court, ticket doesn't specify a time of day, I'm expecting to get a raping, though its the first time I've been stopped on the bike so that may help, but fact remains I'm a 20 year old on a motorcycle. Dunno if a lawyer would help or not.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxxbird View Post
    dunno... I have court August 7th at Goffstown District Court, ticket doesn't specify a time of day, I'm expecting to get a raping, though its the first time I've been stopped on the bike so that may help, but fact remains I'm a 20 year old on a motorcycle. Dunno if a lawyer would help or not.
    If he was short and fat with a major attitude it's him.

It's a roll of the dice with Goffstown. Found that out the hard way.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

The Commissioner of the "Agency of Commerce & Community Development" is Meagan Smith.
    http://accd.vermont.gov/

Just sent an email:

I’ve just been advised by a Vermont resident that:

“Over the next 60 days state and local police are teaming up to crack down on speeders. Traveling even 1 mph over the posted speed limit will make you a candidate for a ticket.”

http://www.wcax.com/story/18936326/v...arget-speeders

It was my intention to take a three day motorcycle trip later in the month to Vermont.

I drive 20,000+ miles per year on business and have not had a speeding ticket since 1995. But it is impossible to monitor your speed constantly and ride a motorcycle safely. Is this article factual, or is this just a scare tactic to get local residents to slow down? If it’s actually the case, I’ll simply take my vacation in another state where common sense rules prevail.

Thank you,

My name
    Boston
    Boston gets 18 million tourists a year and we used to rent an apartment to them, so I "get" tourist economics. If VSP want to crack down on local residents who are speeding and killing themselves off, I have no particular problem with that: call it States Rights.

But if this is the case, I have W MA, upstate NY, NH and ME to ride to instead.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Garandman; 07-03-12 at 03:19 PM.

I'm in for a tough time because I did not know the cop was behind me for about 2 miles (headphones in, not paying attention to mirrors), he saw me pass a car, and even called backup in case I was fleeing. Consistently went the 57 mph until I came up on a car and looked in my mirrors to ensure it was safe to brake and not get rear ended.

The backup cops were all really nice and we chatted about bikes, tasers, etc. until the initial cop finished writing the ticket and stuff. He was not so happy.

My plan is to attempt to delay the court case a few times, maybe I'll get a day the cop can't show? Maybe paperwork gets lost? If I have to go, dress nicely and be apologetic.

Dunno, in Mass I have it down to a system for my car tickets, and haven't had a ticket stick for a while. New Hampshire I have no idea.

Last edited by shortbus; 07-03-12 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayth View Post
    .................When I think of what I did there this weekend.....ugh

I definitely did not make any friends in VT on Sunday.
    Is it possible to have legal double yellow passing and enforce speeding mandates?

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Hmm, guess I got lucky cause I just cruised through a laser trap on I91 at 72-73mph and they didn't bother pulling me over. This happened about 40 min ago.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Hmm, guess I got lucky cause I just cruised through a laser trap on I91 at 72-73mph and they didn't bother pulling me over. This happened about 40 min ago.
    I was radared/lasered 4 different times today at 72/73mph on I89 without a problem.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

As I once espoused to Maine

OK neither myself or my money will be visiting your state

Actually I road to Bethel up rt 100 it was damn crowded, came home down 12,106,35,30 with lots less traffic

Glad I set my weekend in NH this year.

It was inevitable in a deep blue state they can not ignore a revenue source even if it hurts the general economy.

Long before texting etc. driver in attention was like the 85% cause of accidents. The speed thing is and always was BS

Last edited by Stromper; 07-03-12 at 08:46 PM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    As I once espoused to Maine

OK neither myself or my money will be visiting your state

Actually I road to Bethel up rt 100 it was damn crowded, came home down 12,106,35,30 with lots less traffic

Glad I set my weekend in NH this year.

It was inevitable in a deep blue state they can not ignore a revenue source even if it hurts the general economy.

Long before texting etc. driver in attention was like the 85% cause of accidents. The speed thing is and always was BS
    NH gives just as many chickenshit tickets as anywhere else. There was also the famous case where a NHSP followed a guy and his wife speeding to a hospital, and gave him a ticket for speeding.

I've regularly seen radar traps on 93 North mid-morning. They don't do it on 93 South because it's it's bumper-to-bumper with people commuting to MA for work. And they don't do it earlier because the Northbound side is also busy with people getting to work.

Come to think of it, most states are brutal on out-of-state drivers. A study done at UMass showed there's a pretty direct correlation between the distance you are from home and the likelihood of getting a ticket.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-04-12 at 05:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast