Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Careful if you ride in Vermont...

Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Come to think of it, most states are brutal on out-of-state drivers. A study done at UMass showed there's a pretty direct correlation between the distance you are from home and the likelihood of getting a ticket.
    Distance makes them much harder to fight, so a higher percentage of tickets to out of stater's "stick".

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

The governor has stepped in.

from http://www.wcax.com/story/18945063/s...n-goes-too-far:
    MONTPELIER, Vt. -
    Monday, Vermont State police announced a crackdown on speeding for the next 60 days. Tuesday, Gov. Peter Shumlin called the proposed level of enforcement idiotic.
    No actual "idiotic" quote, unfortunately. That would have been quite amusing, but the direct quote does refer to "irrational exuberance."

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thank god. Glad to see Shumlin's doing something right.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Mark, you should get a kick out of this. I give her props for responding over a holiday, anyway. Emphasis added.

We have had record breaking deaths this summer including cars hitting motorcycles. I would hope you would b e more eager to come to Vermont knowing you are safer than ever!

Megan

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I was thinking more of people thinking, "Oh shit, cop, I don't want a ticket!" and slamming on their brakes, causing traffic to suddenly stack up behind them.

--mark
    What really really pisses me off, is people do this when they're NOT even speeding in the first place. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've slowed to 50 on the interstate because of this. Have also almost rear-ended people because of police. I also agree they need to watch towns more closely. I've also seen cruisers parked down over the bank on the highway, thinking oh shit, car accident, slamming brakes to stop, then realizing it's a cop.

The Article on WCAX site shows an orange-ish colored harley laying on it's side. I'm 99% positive that's the harley of the idiot that I watched commit suicide last summer. Idiots like that go kill themselves and in the end we get more cops and tickets. Sounds fair to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackxxbird View Post
    I'd bet it's the same everywhere nh, etc... , I just got a ticket for 57 in a 30 on rt 47 in new hampshire, anyone know a good cheap lawyer for nh traffic tickets?
    Do yourself a favor, save some money and pay the ticket, be happy you weren't arrested. Then do the rest of us a favor and smarten up. 27 over in a 30 zone, admitted you weren't paying attention, and were listening to an iPod or whatever... I'm going to assume you were in a residential area or even a small town if the speed limit was 30. I don't feel bad for you at all, you deserve the ticket. Leave the iPod at home and pay attention to the task at hand and enjoy the ride. There's also a good chance you'll live a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Mark, you should get a kick out of this. I give her props for responding over a holiday, anyway. Emphasis added.
    We have had record breaking deaths this summer including cars hitting motorcycles. I would hope you would b e more eager to come to Vermont knowing you are safer than ever!
    I guess there's a reason that she's not in charge of VT's tourism board.

Vermont, where record breaking fatalities means you're safe!!

Its a tax
    It has been a tax an hour after the first politician thought of it.

The speed limits are posted to enhance revenue. They don't expect you to go that speed they expect you to
    PAY

It governmental grifting and the Satety's know the more money they bring in the more they make themselves perhaps indirectly but the linkage is absolute

The Governor comment was that letting the suckers know we are going to fleece them is idiotic.

Really should have said

"hey Rube"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Stromper; 07-05-12 at 11:09 AM.
    The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Do yourself a favor, save some money and pay the ticket, be happy you weren't arrested. Then do the rest of us a favor and smarten up. 27 over in a 30 zone, admitted you weren't paying attention, and were listening to an iPod or whatever... I'm going to assume you were in a residential area or even a small town if the speed limit was 30. I don't feel bad for you at all, you deserve the ticket. Leave the iPod at home and pay attention to the task at hand and enjoy the ride. There's also a good chance you'll live a lot longer.
    agreed... not planning on winning that ticket, I looked again today at the road. The speed limit was actually 40, cop said 30 and was wrong, not residential, pretty much just woods where I was. Just was not looking in my mirrors as I had no real reason to at all.

17 over is still a doozy.. and I didn't mean to come across as harsh as I probably did. Being an alert rider does however mean checking your mirrors...you never know when some douche is 5 feet behind you in a fart can neon wanting to race, emergency vehicles, etc. I've also seen cops go from a white dot in my mirror to dangerously close (10 feet tops) behind me in record breaking time. Plus as you found out, you were given shit for attempting to allude.

I myself like to know what's going on behind me just as much as in front of me. Especially on group rides, but that's a given

17 over is still a doozy.. and I didn't mean to come across as harsh as I probably did. Being an alert rider does however mean checking your mirrors...you never know when some douche is 5 feet behind you in a fart can neon wanting to race, emergency vehicles, etc. I've also seen cops go from a white dot in my mirror to dangerously close (10 feet tops) behind me in record breaking time. Plus as you found out, you were given shit for attempting to allude.

I myself like to know what's going on behind me just as much as in front of me. Especially on group rides, but that's a given
    Because you have never gone 17 over...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

In ticket cost and points. Sorry I wasn't blatantly clear on how I meant 17 over being a doozy. I'll work on that.

Lifer

I feel the same way about rear-visibility. In my car, I know almost as much about what's going on behind me as I do in front. Maybe your mirrors are great on your bike, but I've tried and tried to adjust mine to get anywhere near as close as I can view in the car. Can't be done. Takes me more effort than it's worth to keep constant rear attention, especially on a backroad where a car might pop out of a drive way. 2 miles @ 57mph, so ~120seconds, isn't exactly an enormous amount of time. Especially when the car behind you doesn't pose the same risk it does on a highway or multi-intersection road with many stops. And that's assuming 2 miles wasn't an exaggerated 1.5, which gets you down to 90 seconds.

Last edited by aldend123; 07-05-12 at 01:09 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by blackxxbird View Post
    The speed limit was actually 40
    I feel your pain, running 57 there is easy to do. We got caught in that same area a few years ago. Let's just say pinged us at a much higher speed than 57 after we slammed on the binders.

Court was not exactly fun.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    I feel your pain, running 57 there is easy to do. We got caught in that same area a few years ago. Let's just say pinged us at a much higher speed than 57 after we slammed on the binders.

Court was not exactly fun.

Did they threaten with loss of license at all? That's the one thing I'm concerned with... I know I'm looking at a minimum of 350 bucks and maximum of 60 days no license.

You might actually get it tossed. 17 over doesn't carry loss of license, just a raping.

If you were actually in a 40 and he wrote 30 you need to document the crap out of it. See if you can strike a deal with the prosecutor before hand and use the error to get it knocked down to a non-moving violation, or at least a lower number. They can't be too upset at you for nit noticing the cop, he obviously wasn't paying attention to what he was doing either.

There are a few options on how to play this depending on how you approach it. I'd be very humble when dealing with them, like I said, it's a good 'ole boys club in that area.

My biggest mistake was I shredded the cop on the witness stand and got him to contradict himself several times. I had a slam dunk defense and I think the judge dismissed all of it because I made his buddy look stupid. Reason, facts and legal precedent does come NOT into traffic court; it's mire about the $$.

Last edited by e30addict; 07-05-12 at 05:46 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Because you have never gone 17 over...
    I was recently pulled over in that area of the world going about 60 in a 30. Some who have posted in this thread were there with me.

Few who post here are saints.

I was actually back in that area with a cruiser riding friend of mine (who rides very slowly). I realize now it was a pretty nasty trap; right after the limit goes 40->30 and he had one helluva good hiding spot.

Then do the rest of us a favor and smarten up. 27 over in a 30 zone, admitted you weren't paying attention, and were listening to an iPod or whatever... I'm going to assume you were in a residential area or even a small town if the speed limit was 30. I don't feel bad for you at all, you deserve the ticket. Leave the iPod at home and pay attention to the task at hand and enjoy the ride. There's also a good chance you'll live a lot longer.
    Most of 116 is between 30-40mph and it's not residential at all. I've definitely done more than 27mph over, too. I always do the speed limit in the center of small towns, though. Just saying...

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Even evil me might be getting fatigued over the 116 antics

I am committed to trying to stay no worse than 20 over

I miss when greedy businesmen ran things

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Lifer

In ticket cost and points. Sorry I wasn't blatantly clear on how I meant 17 over being a doozy. I'll work on that.
    I feel like at least a few people missed this post, or its significance. So I'm reposting it. He meant he's going to have to bend over and shine some shoes for such a high percentage over. As someone else said, in town it's the limit, but I thought once you got outta town, it was SOP to use your best judgement?

nedirtriders.com

Fight it.

I've been busted for doing more than that on dirt roads. Doesn't mean you are irresponsible, just means you took a chance and lost. If the judge decides you should pay the fine, then you'll pay it. Otherwise, make them work for your money. You pay for the court system, may as well use it to your advantage.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

In and out with no issues today...... but I did stay well under the radar.... in a bunch of spots I couldn't go the speed limit much less over it...PR threes and a gravel road do not agree.....40 ...I can go 40 here? but otherwise business as usual

I get my adrenaline fix by goosing it here and there, but usually run just 8-9 over. No trouble yet, but I do seem to have a spider sense for traps.

I agree about the general public seeing a cruiser and slamming on the brakes even if they are going the speed limit... stupid.

Also, Vermont sells its old cruisers at auction and doesn't remove the "Blues Brothers" searchlight. Those cause some panic brake jobs too!

PK

1985 Cagiva 650 Alazzurra, 1992 VFR 750

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jayth View Post
    PR threes and a gravel road do not agree
    I do not agree with this. Had no problem on NH gravel this afternoon myself.

Hats off to you.... or helmets anyway a a one 120/17 two up at 40 miles an hour is just beyond my comfort range

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast