Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Careful if you ride in Vermont...

Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

In VT on Saturday. Passed to syrup drinkers with radar hanging out. We were luckily stuck in traffic so going like 2 over, they didn't bother anyone though.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revenue enhencement....Traffic safety, not the goal but the excuse.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

To their credit, the individual cops don't seem to be very gung-ho about this. I haven't seen any speed traps around Burlington yet, and I encountered an oncoming state trooper cresting a hill as I was doing around 10 over the limit yesterday and he did nothing. Remains to be seen if it perhaps just takes a week or two for increased enforcement to start becoming obvious. But hopefully they'll concentrate their efforts on people driving erratically/unsafely.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous
    Revenue enhencement....Traffic safety, not the goal but the excuse.
    The only thing I do not understand about this is, why after so many tickets do you loose your license? Speeding that is...

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Wirelessly posted

The only thing I do not understand about this is, why after so many tickets do you loose your license? Speeding that is...
    I don't know about other states, but in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts three or more speeding tickets in a calendar year and your license is suspended for 30 days.

http://www.mass-traffic-ticket.com/m...et_faq.html#q1

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    I don't know about other states, but in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts three or more speeding tickets in a calendar year and your license is suspended for 30 days.

http://www.mass-traffic-ticket.com/m...et_faq.html#q1
    Right, I think he knew that. I think he is asking why do we suspend licenses if it is soley for revenue generation. Why not keep letting people speed and keep raking it in?

And I think the anwer to that is once upon a time, the rules were all written with public safety in mind, and it included a strikes system. Which makes sense, if you can't follow the rules, no more driving. BUUUUT, back then, it was probably a lot harder to get 3 tickets in a year. And to remove the 3-strikes rule kinda goes against their whole 'its for everyones safety' stuff and would cause public outcry. So, they have to keep it to keep up the charade.

I've been a broken record about traveling in the left being way more dangerous than 'simple' speeding. But speeding is just so much easier for (dumb) people to believe.

nedirtriders.com

Lifer

The more attention I pay to local politics, the more I realize that local speed limits are reduced all the time, but rarely, if ever, increased.

Most speed limits do not even utilize the "85th percentile" rule. Many are unnecessarily low.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

But I drive an 18yr old 18wheeler, loaded beyond the limit.
    Only 1 of the 18wheels has any brakes at all, none of the directionals are intact, I go 12mph up hill and 70mph down.
    It takes me 3 miles to stop my 20ton rig from 50mph.
    I take up both lanes and then some on 4 out of 5 corners and can't negotiate any traffic intersections in town.
    I'm usually bleary eyed over fatigued while trying to make my delivery time.
    Shit will blow off my trailer and gourd you on your bike, traveling 1/4mile behind me.

BUT THE SAME SPEED LIMITS APPLY TO ME AS YOUR incredibly sophisticated, state of the art, race track ready sport bike.

So don't drive that BMW S1000RR 10mph over, it's dangerous and scares me up in my cab, 14feet off the ground.

C'mon, one speed limit for all the infinite variations of vehicles, performance, driver skill, experience, presence of actual brain activity and a pulse?

And they come marching up to you, like they just caught public enemy #1, GO EAT A DOUGHNUT!

RANT, rant, almost over.....aghhhh

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200ST
    CanAm Spyer RSS SE5 (Wifey's)
    DRZ400S
    Pitster Pro X4i MiniMotard
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

There was a wonderful 3 years where NY Statees just put up traffic road blocks.

They would just look at inspections, run plates for reg or insurance. This gave them sufficient revenue so that they didn't much bother on the roads. If it was a newer car that looked together they just waved you through.

Well here comes some ACLU types illegal this or that and they were back on the roads hassling everyone.

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Quote Originally Posted by Epee View Post
    C'mon, one speed limit for all the infinite variations of vehicles, performance, driver skill, experience, presence of actual brain activity and a pulse?

And they come marching up to you, like they just caught public enemy #1, GO EAT A DOUGHNUT!

Interestingly enough, out west, there ARE different speed limits for cars and trucks.

Since new signs are expensive I propose just doubling what's on the current sign and making that the limit for bikes

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Interestingly enough, out west, there ARE different speed limits for cars and trucks.

Since new signs are expensive I propose just doubling what's on the current sign and making that the limit for bikes
    Well im all for saving tax dollars...Motion seconded

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post

They would just look at inspections, run plates for reg or insurance. This gave them sufficient revenue so that they didn't much bother on the roads. If it was a newer car that looked together they just waved you through.

Well here comes some ACLU types illegal this or that and they were back on the roads hassling everyone.
    Well, good for them, having some bit of concern for individual rights and not throwing the 4th Amendment in the trash.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

KOOLAID ALERT

remember it is just about the money, so however they get it, it is unfair

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

Saw a lot of cops while out on the roads this past week. Saw two Vermont staties within 3 miles near the NH border, one had a car pulled over and the other was setting a new speed trap. I was averaging 70-72 and none of the cops I drove by seemed to care.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Lifer

You forgot weather. Driving rain at night? Sunny daytime with miles of visibility? No different.

Lifer

Only 1 of the 18wheels has any brakes at all, none of the directionals are intact, I go 12mph up hill and 70mph down.
    I take up both lanes and then some on 4 out of 5 corners and can't negotiate any traffic intersections in town.
    Shit will blow off my trailer and gourd you on your bike, traveling 1/4mile behind me.

BUT THE SAME SPEED LIMITS APPLY TO ME AS YOUR incredibly sophisticated, state of the art, race track ready sport bike.

So don't drive that BMW S1000RR 10mph over, it's dangerous and scares me up in my cab, 14feet off the ground.

And that's why those silly yellow 'caution' speed signs are suggesting such low speeds. Hell, a 35mph 'warning' ramp means 50+ for many people, but obviously you and your weight will not like 35, and maybe not anything close. That's why it's a limit, a maximum, not a fixed speed. It is interesting that even some of the more safety oriented people I know consider the speed limit the speed requirement, no faster but no slower either.

As for conditions like rain, snow, fog, we already have laws that cover that. Wreckless-driving type laws, which should still be applicable.

nedirtriders.com

Haven't been following much of the thread, but just wanted to say i've seen a ton of cars pulled over in VT recently... watch out!

LRRS #313

OK, problem solved...

TRACK DAYYYYYY!!!!

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200ST
    CanAm Spyer RSS SE5 (Wifey's)
    DRZ400S
    Pitster Pro X4i MiniMotard
    Yamaha TTR

Die Livin'

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post

NH used to do that at the MA border on I93 during Bike Week. They pulled every bike over into the rest area. It stopped a few years ago.

Anyone know how the enforcement is on the main non highway routes? 7, 100, 108 specifically? I'll be on the bike all around VT from Friday- Sunday.

WATERBURY, Vt. -

The first week of Operation Summer HEAT produced a pile of speeding tickets.

Last week, Vermont State police put what they call High Enforcement Area Teams into action patrolling for speeders in places around the state. The effort was spurred by a dramatic rise in highway fatalities in the first six months of this year.

During the first five days of the HEAT program there were no traffic deaths in Vermont. Police did issue 859 speeding tickets and arrested 26 drunk drivers.

NO deaths in VT. Cool, that's a clear indication this is working perfectly, right?

859 tickets in 5 days? Holy shit!

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Okay so they're bringing heat...... i say we heal the heat..... let us become high enforcement area locators... if you see these "teams" Post up the time & location

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Infuse)

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123

And that's why those silly yellow 'caution' speed signs are suggesting such low speeds. Hell, a 35mph 'warning' ramp means 50+ for many people, but obviously you and your weight will not like 35, and maybe not anything close. That's why it's a limit, a maximum, not a fixed speed. It is interesting that even some of the more safety oriented people I know consider the speed limit the speed requirement, no faster but no slower either.

As for conditions like rain, snow, fog, we already have laws that cover that. Wreckless-driving type laws, which should still be applicable.
    I get stuck behind people that go 20 in a 35 and 15 in a 30 all the time.(always on the way to work) Let me tell you it creates more of a dengerous situation then going 40 in a 35 or 35 in a 30. That is the only time I seem to see people get pissed off, tailgate, or pass on a double yellow. There is such a thing as too slow. I am all up for the sign to be the requirement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast