Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 84

Careful if you ride in Vermont...

  1. #51
    Lifer Falko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MoonTown
    Posts
    5,102

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    In VT on Saturday. Passed to syrup drinkers with radar hanging out. We were luckily stuck in traffic so going like 2 over, they didn't bother anyone though.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  2. #52
    Banned Rambunctous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Waterville Valley, NH
    Posts
    7,282

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Revenue enhencement....Traffic safety, not the goal but the excuse.

    2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  3. #53
    Lifer markbvt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Georgia, VT
    Posts
    3,716

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    To their credit, the individual cops don't seem to be very gung-ho about this. I haven't seen any speed traps around Burlington yet, and I encountered an oncoming state trooper cresting a hill as I was doing around 10 over the limit yesterday and he did nothing. Remains to be seen if it perhaps just takes a week or two for increased enforcement to start becoming obvious. But hopefully they'll concentrate their efforts on people driving erratically/unsafely.

    --mark

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

  4. #54
    Default hondarider102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    1,558
    Wirelessly posted

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous
    Revenue enhencement....Traffic safety, not the goal but the excuse.
    The only thing I do not understand about this is, why after so many tickets do you loose your license? Speeding that is...

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Corey

  5. #55
    Lifer SprintPoser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Central MA
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,179

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    Wirelessly posted



    The only thing I do not understand about this is, why after so many tickets do you loose your license? Speeding that is...
    I don't know about other states, but in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts three or more speeding tickets in a calendar year and your license is suspended for 30 days.

    http://www.mass-traffic-ticket.com/m...et_faq.html#q1

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

  6. #56
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,470

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Quote Originally Posted by SprintPoser View Post
    I don't know about other states, but in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts three or more speeding tickets in a calendar year and your license is suspended for 30 days.

    http://www.mass-traffic-ticket.com/m...et_faq.html#q1
    Right, I think he knew that. I think he is asking why do we suspend licenses if it is soley for revenue generation. Why not keep letting people speed and keep raking it in?

    And I think the anwer to that is once upon a time, the rules were all written with public safety in mind, and it included a strikes system. Which makes sense, if you can't follow the rules, no more driving. BUUUUT, back then, it was probably a lot harder to get 3 tickets in a year. And to remove the 3-strikes rule kinda goes against their whole 'its for everyones safety' stuff and would cause public outcry. So, they have to keep it to keep up the charade.

    I've been a broken record about traveling in the left being way more dangerous than 'simple' speeding. But speeding is just so much easier for (dumb) people to believe.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  7. #57
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,492

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    The more attention I pay to local politics, the more I realize that local speed limits are reduced all the time, but rarely, if ever, increased.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #58
    Super Adventurer SRTie4k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dublin, NH
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Most speed limits do not even utilize the "85th percentile" rule. Many are unnecessarily low.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

  9. #59
    Beach Bum, freezin my a$$ Epee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southern VT
    Age
    59
    Posts
    167

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    But I drive an 18yr old 18wheeler, loaded beyond the limit.
    Only 1 of the 18wheels has any brakes at all, none of the directionals are intact, I go 12mph up hill and 70mph down.
    It takes me 3 miles to stop my 20ton rig from 50mph.
    I take up both lanes and then some on 4 out of 5 corners and can't negotiate any traffic intersections in town.
    I'm usually bleary eyed over fatigued while trying to make my delivery time.
    Shit will blow off my trailer and gourd you on your bike, traveling 1/4mile behind me.

    BUT THE SAME SPEED LIMITS APPLY TO ME AS YOUR incredibly sophisticated, state of the art, race track ready sport bike.

    So don't drive that BMW S1000RR 10mph over, it's dangerous and scares me up in my cab, 14feet off the ground.

    C'mon, one speed limit for all the infinite variations of vehicles, performance, driver skill, experience, presence of actual brain activity and a pulse?

    And they come marching up to you, like they just caught public enemy #1, GO EAT A DOUGHNUT!

    RANT, rant, almost over.....aghhhh

    4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200ST
    CanAm Spyer RSS SE5 (Wifey's)
    DRZ400S
    Pitster Pro X4i MiniMotard
    Yamaha TTR

    Die Livin'

  10. #60
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    There was a wonderful 3 years where NY Statees just put up traffic road blocks.

    They would just look at inspections, run plates for reg or insurance. This gave them sufficient revenue so that they didn't much bother on the roads. If it was a newer car that looked together they just waved you through.

    Well here comes some ACLU types illegal this or that and they were back on the roads hassling everyone.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

    It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

  11. #61
    BMW track whore e30addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    I93/495
    Age
    46
    Posts
    8,558

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Quote Originally Posted by Epee View Post
    C'mon, one speed limit for all the infinite variations of vehicles, performance, driver skill, experience, presence of actual brain activity and a pulse?

    And they come marching up to you, like they just caught public enemy #1, GO EAT A DOUGHNUT!

    RANT, rant, almost over.....aghhhh
    Interestingly enough, out west, there ARE different speed limits for cars and trucks.

    Since new signs are expensive I propose just doubling what's on the current sign and making that the limit for bikes

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

  12. #62
    Member jayth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    N.H.
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    Interestingly enough, out west, there ARE different speed limits for cars and trucks.

    Since new signs are expensive I propose just doubling what's on the current sign and making that the limit for bikes
    Well im all for saving tax dollars...Motion seconded

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  13. #63
    Lifer PhilB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pittsfield, NH
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,137

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    There was a wonderful 3 years where NY Statees just put up traffic road blocks.

    They would just look at inspections, run plates for reg or insurance. This gave them sufficient revenue so that they didn't much bother on the roads. If it was a newer car that looked together they just waved you through.

    Well here comes some ACLU types illegal this or that and they were back on the roads hassling everyone.
    Well, good for them, having some bit of concern for individual rights and not throwing the 4th Amendment in the trash.

    PhilB

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

  14. #64
    Lifer Stromper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Eastern Ct
    Posts
    3,214

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    KOOLAID ALERT

    remember it is just about the money, so however they get it, it is unfair

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The calculus of hate

    It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

  15. #65
    Lifer NobodySpecific's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Saw a lot of cops while out on the roads this past week. Saw two Vermont staties within 3 miles near the NH border, one had a car pulled over and the other was setting a new speed trap. I was averaging 70-72 and none of the cops I drove by seemed to care.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

  16. #66
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    16,492

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Quote Originally Posted by Epee View Post
    C'mon, one speed limit for all the infinite variations of vehicles, performance, driver skill, experience, presence of actual brain activity and a pulse?
    You forgot weather. Driving rain at night? Sunny daytime with miles of visibility? No different.

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  17. #67
    Lifer
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bristol County
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,470

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Quote Originally Posted by Epee View Post
    But I drive an 18yr old 18wheeler, loaded beyond the limit.
    Only 1 of the 18wheels has any brakes at all, none of the directionals are intact, I go 12mph up hill and 70mph down.
    It takes me 3 miles to stop my 20ton rig from 50mph.
    I take up both lanes and then some on 4 out of 5 corners and can't negotiate any traffic intersections in town.
    I'm usually bleary eyed over fatigued while trying to make my delivery time.
    Shit will blow off my trailer and gourd you on your bike, traveling 1/4mile behind me.

    BUT THE SAME SPEED LIMITS APPLY TO ME AS YOUR incredibly sophisticated, state of the art, race track ready sport bike.

    So don't drive that BMW S1000RR 10mph over, it's dangerous and scares me up in my cab, 14feet off the ground.

    C'mon, one speed limit for all the infinite variations of vehicles, performance, driver skill, experience, presence of actual brain activity and a pulse?

    And they come marching up to you, like they just caught public enemy #1, GO EAT A DOUGHNUT!

    RANT, rant, almost over.....aghhhh
    And that's why those silly yellow 'caution' speed signs are suggesting such low speeds. Hell, a 35mph 'warning' ramp means 50+ for many people, but obviously you and your weight will not like 35, and maybe not anything close. That's why it's a limit, a maximum, not a fixed speed. It is interesting that even some of the more safety oriented people I know consider the speed limit the speed requirement, no faster but no slower either.

    As for conditions like rain, snow, fog, we already have laws that cover that. Wreckless-driving type laws, which should still be applicable.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    nedirtriders.com

  18. #68
    Senior Member WinVT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Winooski VT
    Posts
    539

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Haven't been following much of the thread, but just wanted to say i've seen a ton of cars pulled over in VT recently... watch out!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS #313

  19. #69
    Beach Bum, freezin my a$$ Epee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Southern VT
    Age
    59
    Posts
    167

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    OK, problem solved...

    TRACK DAYYYYYY!!!!

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

    2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200ST
    CanAm Spyer RSS SE5 (Wifey's)
    DRZ400S
    Pitster Pro X4i MiniMotard
    Yamaha TTR

    Die Livin'

  20. #70
    Lifer Garandman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dorchester, MA / Mt Sunapee, NH
    Posts
    12,166

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    There was a wonderful 3 years where NY Statees just put up traffic road blocks.

    They would just look at inspections, run plates for reg or insurance. This gave them sufficient revenue so that they didn't much bother on the roads. If it was a newer car that looked together they just waved you through.

    Well here comes some ACLU types illegal this or that and they were back on the roads hassling everyone.
    NH used to do that at the MA border on I93 during Bike Week. They pulled every bike over into the rest area. It stopped a few years ago.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Newton's Third Law of Stupid. For each fact there exists an equal and opposite alternative fact.

  21. #71
    Lifer 01xj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    CT
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    Anyone know how the enforcement is on the main non highway routes? 7, 100, 108 specifically? I'll be on the bike all around VT from Friday- Sunday.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  22. #72
    Infected Slyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,683

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    WATERBURY, Vt. -

    The first week of Operation Summer HEAT produced a pile of speeding tickets.

    Last week, Vermont State police put what they call High Enforcement Area Teams into action patrolling for speeders in places around the state. The effort was spurred by a dramatic rise in highway fatalities in the first six months of this year.

    During the first five days of the HEAT program there were no traffic deaths in Vermont. Police did issue 859 speeding tickets and arrested 26 drunk drivers.


    NO deaths in VT. Cool, that's a clear indication this is working perfectly, right?

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  23. #73
    Lifer NobodySpecific's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,739

    Re: Careful if you ride in Vermont...

    859 tickets in 5 days? Holy shit!

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

  24. #74
    Member jayth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    N.H.
    Posts
    229
    Okay so they're bringing heat...... i say we heal the heat..... let us become high enforcement area locators... if you see these "teams" Post up the time & location

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  25. #75
    Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Waltham
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,376
    Wirelessly posted (Infuse)

    Quote Originally Posted by aldend123
    Quote Originally Posted by Epee View Post
    But I drive an 18yr old 18wheeler, loaded beyond the limit.
    Only 1 of the 18wheels has any brakes at all, none of the directionals are intact, I go 12mph up hill and 70mph down.
    It takes me 3 miles to stop my 20ton rig from 50mph.
    I take up both lanes and then some on 4 out of 5 corners and can't negotiate any traffic intersections in town.
    I'm usually bleary eyed over fatigued while trying to make my delivery time.
    Shit will blow off my trailer and gourd you on your bike, traveling 1/4mile behind me.

    BUT THE SAME SPEED LIMITS APPLY TO ME AS YOUR incredibly sophisticated, state of the art, race track ready sport bike.

    So don't drive that BMW S1000RR 10mph over, it's dangerous and scares me up in my cab, 14feet off the ground.

    C'mon, one speed limit for all the infinite variations of vehicles, performance, driver skill, experience, presence of actual brain activity and a pulse?

    And they come marching up to you, like they just caught public enemy #1, GO EAT A DOUGHNUT!

    RANT, rant, almost over.....aghhhh
    And that's why those silly yellow 'caution' speed signs are suggesting such low speeds. Hell, a 35mph 'warning' ramp means 50+ for many people, but obviously you and your weight will not like 35, and maybe not anything close. That's why it's a limit, a maximum, not a fixed speed. It is interesting that even some of the more safety oriented people I know consider the speed limit the speed requirement, no faster but no slower either.

    As for conditions like rain, snow, fog, we already have laws that cover that. Wreckless-driving type laws, which should still be applicable.
    I get stuck behind people that go 20 in a 35 and 15 in a 30 all the time.(always on the way to work) Let me tell you it creates more of a dengerous situation then going 40 in a 35 or 35 in a 30. That is the only time I seem to see people get pissed off, tailgate, or pass on a double yellow. There is such a thing as too slow. I am all up for the sign to be the requirement.

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My last ride in Vermont
    By LuckyLuc in forum Rides & Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-09, 09:18 PM
  2. Vermont - Foliage season - Be Careful
    By SSearchVT in forum General Bike Related
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-04-07, 02:05 PM
  3. Vermont 3 day ride
    By richw in forum Rides & Events
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-31-07, 11:39 AM
  4. Vermont Ride
    By ahtune69 in forum Rides & Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-06, 06:43 PM
  5. Vermont Ride
    By SickR1Rider in forum Rides & Events
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-07-05, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •