Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Caswell Coating Ducati Plastic Tanks

Re: Caswell Coating Ducati Plastic Tanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    I read a couple of threads over on the AF1 forum. It's interesting how different the issue is with different tanks. Some say that the older tanks don't have nearly the same issues as newer tanks. I can only hope that the three that I have, will have minimal issues. I might be rotating the good black tanks that I have on a regular basis. Bummer, because taking the tank off and taking the fuel pump out was a real PITA.
    I realize you're used to a non fuel injected bike but really, getting that tank off shouldn't have been that difficult. IIRC on the 2nd gens it's two bolts up front, two bolts on the seat, one on the tank hinge, and the two lines. The return line is self sealing so if you disconnect it from the FPR it won't pour fuel out of the tank. I bought an extra mating connector and a length of hose that I could then plug into the tank side of the return line to use as a drain before undoing the supply line from the throttle bodies. You can make another hose with the other half of the quick connector and plug it into the FPR then use the fuel pump to help the process along. Unplug the relay and jumper the two pins on the harness to get the pump running continuously.

Alternatively, you can have a quick connect supply line made up, get a couple extra fuel pumps (available relatively cheap on the forum or ebay), and have both lines self seal, then just swap the entire assembly and deal with draining at your convenience.

Really though, it's very unlikely that you're going to experience massive swelling over the course of a single season. If you have three tanks, leave two completely open and in a warm place with decent airflow. During your winter refresh, swap the one on the bike for one of those. That way any swelling that occurs during the season should work itself out over the course of the following season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Also, I use Plubmers food safe grease on connectors like that. Makes them operate easier, and helps keep the ethanol from swelling o-rings.

Anyone know of any local places that do the caswell coating?

Local to where?? I had Robbie Nigl do mine. Let me know if you need his contact info.

Local to Central MA I would say. I have no problem attempting myself but if I do it I guess there is no warranty.

He's just north of Concord. Its worth doing for the peace of mind

This issue is one of the reasons I traded my 848 Corse for the 1198 Corse.....The aluminum tank!!! It's a beautiful tank, sexy welds on it...way better than the expanding composite tanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    This issue is one of the reasons I traded my 848 Corse for the 1198 Corse.....The aluminum tank!!! It's a beautiful tank, sexy welds on it...way better than the expanding composite tanks
    I thought about putting one of those on my bike, but at $2,100 in raw aluminum it wasn't an option. Ducati should have offered an additional fee upgrade to the aluminum tank. If I remember correctly, at the time the metal tank retailed for less than the OEM tank.

Thanks for recommendation NPDCPA. It is a shame the consumer has to deal with problems like this. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Worc9R View Post
    Thanks for recommendation NPDCPA. It is a shame the consumer has to deal with problems like this. Very frustrating.
    It is very frustrating as an owner of a bike with an expanding tank problem. My second replacement fuel tank on my Aprilia is starting to look like the one that was replaced last fall. I have a feeling I'll have to put on my boxing gloves to get this one replaced again...and the one that will be replaced just before the warranty ends will likely involve more than gloves.
    Really turned off by Italian brands and the lack of effort to at least resolve the actual issue, rather than put a band aid on it

Yamaha

I will have a very hard time buying another Ducati. I thought Aprilia was an option but it looks like it isn't. There is no reason anyone should have to deal with this on an exclusive bike. Replacing a faulty unit with the exact same tank is a ridiculous slap in the face. I'm all done with the "Ducatisti" bullshit. Harley would never have done this to their fanbase.

And while I'm bitching about Ducati; win some races, bitches.

I think it's mainly a north American issue due to the shit in our gasoline making the tanks expand. I've vaguely followed a thread on the Ducati forums....

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, it's only happening to the 848/1098/1198 series bikes. The new bikes are unaffected I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I think it's mainly a north American issue due to the shit in our gasoline making the tanks expand. I've vaguely followed a thread on the Ducati forums....

- - - Updated - - -

Besides, it's only happening to the 848/1098/1198 series bikes. The new bikes are unaffected I believe.
    But what portion US bikes represent Ducati and Aprilia's market share? I don't know for certain, but I am betting its substantial. With that being the case, wouldn't it make sense to make sure their equipment is suitable for long-term use here?

And I think the Paniugly series now have metal tanks.

the US is definitely NOT a major market area for aprilia. They may want to be bigger here but their big customer base in elsewhere in the world. Can't speak for ducati. regardless, there is no "fault" in the tanks. The parts are not bad or made improperly, they simply don't get along well with the stupid shit our gov't puts in our fuel. The rest of the world doesn't have the problem. Could Aprilia and Ducati have avoided the issue and used metal tanks? sure, but then the bikes would be a bit heavier (with the extra weight as high as it could possibly be on the chassis) and a bit slower as a result. Doesn't matter for a street bike but RSV4's and 1098's, etc aren't exactly built to be comfy cruiser rides. Yes it's a pain in the ass, and yes it's annoying but at least some of you guys have warranties and can get replacements. I'm posting all of this while sitting on 3 spare tanks for my two milles that I had to go find and buy on my own, letting them dry and shrink so I can coat them and be done with it. It's the hand you've been dealt, if you want to swear the brand off because of it that's your choice to make, I'll deal with some relatively minor headaches in the interest of riding a bike that isn't going to blend into the sea of ZXYZCBGSXR1000RRRRR's

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Having a fuel tank leak at the fuel pump flange (placed strategically over the rear header) is more than a relatively minor inconvenience. Having to buy 2 or 3 tanks so one can shrink while the other is in service is more than a relatively minor headache. Not being able to rely on the bike as a long-term ownership item because the warranty on the replacement tank ran out is more than a relatively minor headache.

I'm not disappointed in Ducati for their oversight, I'm disappointed in their lack of support for the problem. No doubt they left everyone hanging, but like I mentioned, they had options with the metal tanks which were already in the DP parts catalog. As for that option, heavier and high on the chassis? Nope! The DP promo material claims the aluminum tank: "10% more fuel capacity, 28% (2.9lbs) lighter"

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    the US is definitely NOT a major market area for aprilia. They may want to be bigger here but their big customer base in elsewhere in the world. Can't speak for ducati. regardless, there is no "fault" in the tanks. The parts are not bad or made improperly, they simply don't get along well with the stupid shit our gov't puts in our fuel. The rest of the world doesn't have the problem. Could Aprilia and Ducati have avoided the issue and used metal tanks? sure, but then the bikes would be a bit heavier (with the extra weight as high as it could possibly be on the chassis) and a bit slower as a result. Doesn't matter for a street bike but RSV4's and 1098's, etc aren't exactly built to be comfy cruiser rides. Yes it's a pain in the ass, and yes it's annoying but at least some of you guys have warranties and can get replacements. I'm posting all of this while sitting on 3 spare tanks for my two milles that I had to go find and buy on my own, letting them dry and shrink so I can coat them and be done with it. It's the hand you've been dealt, if you want to swear the brand off because of it that's your choice to make, I'll deal with some relatively minor headaches in the interest of riding a bike that isn't going to blend into the sea of ZXYZCBGSXR1000RRRRR's
    If ducati and aprilia can't build a fuel tank compatible with the fuels sold in the US market, they shouldn't be selling bikes in the US market!
    I can understand maybe a year or 2 of issues after the government added the shit to our fuels, but how long has it been now? There's no excuse not to have corrected the problem.
    Keep cycling your tanks so they expand and shrink over and over again...then when it splits open and spills fuel and catches fire, we can say I told you so.

I always wondered why the resale of aprilia's was so shitty...and why you could always find a 2-3 year old new aprilia still in the crate at most dealers...after owning 2 of them, I know the reason!
    I do blame myself though and not Aprilia. They built a POS, and they knew it, I didn't! It's my fault for not spending an hour researching the bike prior to purchase. Had I spent that hour researching, I'd still be happily enjoying trouble free miles on the 09 R1

Yamaha

Sigh, ok well you guys go ahead and continue to hate. I'll happily ride my "pos" around for another 40k miles and let you know how it goes from there.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Sigh, ok well you guys go ahead and continue to hate. I'll happily ride my "pos" around for another 40k miles and let you know how it goes from there.
    To each their own - enjoy the ride. I prefer not to take it up the ass for the privilege of riding a Ducati.

BTW, I have been BIG into Ducati (owning no other brands and for a time, having multiple Ducs in my garage) beginning in 2001 and lived with minor inconveniences ever since. 7,000 mile valve intervals and rubber belts that need to be changed every two years are minor inconveniences. A parts supply line that shuts down in the summer is a minor inconvenience. Overpriced OEM parts is a minor inconvenience. Recalls are a minor inconvenience. Ducati Performance ECUs that stall the bike at idle are a minor inconvenience. Flywheel nuts that loosen (but are covered under a good faith warranty (thanks BCM!!)) are a minor inconvenience.

Tanks that expand with the accompanying dealership recommendation to keep them empty at all times is not a minor inconvenience. Capisce? I don't think you do.

I never said they made a POS bike, but there are quirks you can live with to ride a "premium" brand, but things you definitely should not have to suffer because you're buying a premium brand. At the core of it, customer service is very important. No customer service means no repeat customers. Like I said, Harley would NEVER leave their people hanging like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA View Post
    To each their own - enjoy the ride. I prefer not to take it up the ass for the privilege of riding a Ducati.

BTW, I have been BIG into Ducati (owning no other brands and for a time, having multiple Ducs in my garage) beginning in 2001 and lived with minor inconveniences ever since. 7,000 mile valve intervals and rubber belts that need to be changed every two years are minor inconveniences. A parts supply line that shuts down in the summer is a minor inconvenience. Overpriced OEM parts is a minor inconvenience. Recalls are a minor inconvenience. Ducati Performance ECUs that stall the bike at idle are a minor inconvenience. Flywheel nuts that loosen (but are covered under a good faith warranty (thanks BCM!!)) are a minor inconvenience.

Tanks that expand with the accompanying dealership recommendation to keep them empty at all times is not a minor inconvenience. Capisce? I don't think you do.

I never said they made a POS bike, but there are quirks you can live with to ride a "premium" brand, but things you definitely should not have to suffer because you're buying a premium brand. At the core of it, customer service is very important. No customer service means no repeat customers. Like I said, Harley would NEVER leave their people hanging like that.
    How about them Red Sox ?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'd like to add that my Guzzi has the potential tank issue as well, and I've coated it so hopefully it doesn't fail. Piaggio is absolutely horrible when it comes to the tank issue. Granted MG is the bastard of their line up, they only sell like 6-700 units a year in the US so they could give a shit about market share with them. But they will never grow their business with their shit poor customer service, on all their brands. I've heard and have no way to confirm that the US tanks are a different material, ABS vs Polypro, than the Euro counterparts. The .gov mandated the different plastic for the tanks for safety reasons, no idea what that would be. But the ABS tanks will be affected more than poly tanks. So, it sounds conspiracy theory-esque, not sure to believe it or not. All I know is that even though it is a .gov induced problem with ethanol, the manufacturers should be standing behind the product or at minimum adjusting practices to prevent in the future. But they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    How about them Red Sox ?
    I'm putting the Caswelled tank back on my bike on Saturday. When are we riding!?!?

I'm putting the Caswelled tank back on my bike on Saturday. When are we riding!?!?
    I'm changing tires in garage on Saturday 1 Tuono and the Multi. Swing by if your running in your swollen tank.
    Sunday we could get something local in I think. That's tentative without checking in with "She who must be obeyed"

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    All I know is that even though it is a .gov induced problem with ethanol, the manufacturers should be standing behind the product or at minimum adjusting practices to prevent in the future. But they aren't.
    The "But they aren't" part is where I have an issue with Aprilia anyways. Wish I could say it was isolated to just the fuel tank, but it is not the case with my bike....or all other RVS4's for that matter.
    I could list the items if I felt like typing, but instead i'll just deal with all those minor inconvenience of my future problems/failures/bike pushing skills

Yamaha

What would be useful to know is if the percent ethenol in the fuel makes the issue worse. By that I mean do the majority of owners having tank swelling issues use 10% ethenol fuel or a higher blend. In Mass we're stuck with 10%. While I've noticed the tank swelling as others have said it did return to "normal" once drained over the winter. I suspect the higher alchol content makes it worse similar to those who run high octane additves.

You're right I don't understand. I don't understand how a tank that expands and spills fuel with the potential of causing a fire (but more likely, just create a mess) is any worse than a belt that has a history of failing and causing catastrophic engine damage at speed. Ok, I guess fire is scarier to think about late at night in your garage but I'd rather take that chance than be hauling down a straight when my engine seizes at 100+. Maybe that's just me.

Last edited by soofle616; 05-23-14 at 01:23 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast