Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Caswell Coating Ducati Plastic Tanks

Caswell Coating Ducati Plastic Tanks

Has anyone given this a shot?

My 1098's tank has been airing out since December and I want to coat it before summer so I don't have to leave it empty between rides to avoid ethanol swelling (advised by my dealership). I understand 99% of the success is in the prep, but are there words of advice out there? I want to avoid the "woulda/coulda/shoulda's"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Caswell Coating Ducati Plastic Tanks

I have a couple plastic aprilia tanks I will be doing this too as well. So far I've only ever used it on metal tanks. My one bit of advice is to ignore what they say about only mixing half the kit for a motorcycle tank. I did that last time I did a metal tank and while I did eventually get full coverage it was a bitch. The stuff is just thick and when you only use half of it, it's difficult to get it to evenly coat everything. Mix the whole thing up, pour it all in there and after you've got a good coating, drain out the excess. It sucks to be so wasteful but it's better than having uncoated areas.

Thanks!

On my Duc tank the fuel pump mounts to the bottom of the tank. If I seal off the flange area area I won't have coverage where the fuel will always be sitting. Any suggestions? Can I "paint" a thin coating there?

How about prepping the inside of the tank? Will rattling around 2 dozen drywall screws give the Caswell enough bite?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I was gonna send my ktm tank out to get this done. I had already put it away for the winter when I was researching it. At realized at that time that maybe I shouldnt have stored it with a full tank.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I did the Guzzi tank this tank this winter. Couple advices for you's.
    1. As stated, use the whole thing, get more than you think, use it all. This stuff doesn't coat well to complex shaped tank, my tank is 5.6 gal, I used the 10 gal kit, could have used more.
    2. I shook drywall screws in the tank, did pretty much nothing to the texture of the tank. I could see doing this in a rusty metal tank to get rid of the flaky stuff, but in the plastic tanks, I just didn't see the benefit. Can't hurt to do it though.
    3. I used masking tape over the holes, the goo is so thick that it won't go through (but see next point)
    4. Thin it out a little bit. This stuff is thick and doesn't like to move quickly. I'd thin it however they recommend to give you longer working time and get full coating.
    5. get a cheap bucket (or large coffee can, that's what I used) that you can throw away. By the time you dump it in and move the tank around to coat it, the stuff will have hardened in the mixing can. And even though I didn't treat my bucket with drywall nails, it won't come out.

Good luck

Thinner comes in the kit or Home Depot?

No you have to get the thinner separate. I can't remember what they recommend, paint thinner or mineral spirits or something. Obviously want to use the right stuff. Optimum temp seems to be around 70. Much cooler and it is thick, much warmer it sets up quickly. But if you thin it, should be better.

Awesome - thanks!!

Anybody want to plan a Caswell day? I don't have the space to do this in my condo without ending up fumigating the place. I can't imagine drinking beer and doing this would cause any problems.

I would imagine you would need to etch the inside of that tank at least a bit for the best adhesion. Nick you can do that in my garage if you want. You do have to clean up after yourself though............

This makes me glad I can't afford new bikes. Vintage steel baby!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

The metal Ducati tanks on my 2000 M900 and 1999 900SSie had their own share of problems. Hinges tack welded at the rear seam area would tear the tack welds or weaken the seam and they would leak...on to the rear header. Some brazing and interior resealing was prerequisite.

The latest issue with Ducati leaving people hanging with swelling tanks has pretty much soured me on the brand. Instead of the option to upgrade to an aluminum tank (which they already make), the class action settlement stuck us with a finite end date for warranty replacement and a new tank that is exactly as faulty as the one it replaced. Epic fail.

Agreed on the epic fail. My 98 Monster tank lasted 50K miles with no issues. I think they did cheap out on the tanks in 2000 though.

Paul_E_D

Should I be doing this on my 848 tank? Never had any problems, crossing my fingers.......

Friend: man riding this really hurts my balls

Me: Well you're not supposed to sit on your balls!

Quote Originally Posted by jbmass View Post
    Should I be doing this on my 848 tank? Never had any problems, crossing my fingers.......
    I would. My original 1098 tank swelled slowly, with no perceptible change until I compared it to the replacement. My buddy's 848EVO didn't fare so well with dimples and interference with other parts. Eric Colbath told me a story about a guy with a 2 week old replacement Monster tank who ran into his shop saying his bike was smoking. Eric hit it with the fire extinguisher and found the tank warped at the fuel pump flange.

I guess the replacement period is over so if your tank warps you're SOL. It's off to eBay, or ETI-Fuel cell. Cha-ching!

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by NPDCPA
    The metal Ducati tanks on my 2000 M900 and 1999 900SSie had their own share of problems. Hinges tack welded at the rear seam area would tear the tack welds or weaken the seam and they would leak...on to the rear header. Some brazing and interior resealing was prerequisite.

The latest issue with Ducati leaving people hanging with swelling tanks has pretty much soured me on the brand. Instead of the option to upgrade to an aluminum tank (which they already make), the class action settlement stuck us with a finite end date for warranty replacement and a new tank that is exactly as faulty as the one it replaced. Epic fail.
    Seems to be a trend with the Italian brands! Same thing with my Aprilia, just toss the same faulty part at it.
    Can't wait to get back on a Yamaha!

Yamaha

My Multistrada tank swelled within 1 year after purchasing. Replaced under warranty at Seacoast. The new tank arrived and sent out for coating before install. they say they have no returns after this coating.

I had heard the euro tanks are a propylene based tank. The regulations in the states require the tanks to be made of Nylon. Nylon is really susceptible to moisture absorption when ethanol is introduced. I don't know how true all of this is, but it makes you wonder why we have to use a plastic that can't handle our ethanol fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by Falko View Post
    I had heard the euro tanks are a propylene based tank. The regulations in the states require the tanks to be made of Nylon. Nylon is really susceptible to moisture absorption when ethanol is introduced. I don't know how true all of this is, but it makes you wonder why we have to use a plastic that can't handle our ethanol fuels.
    Because government.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Because government.

PhilB
    Sons of bitches!

edit, already covered before i posted

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco61 View Post
    My Multistrada tank swelled within 1 year after purchasing. Replaced under warranty at Seacoast. The new tank arrived and sent out for coating before install. they say they have no returns after this coating.
    Not sure about you, but I was quoted $350 to have my new replacement tank coated before it was installed. No thanks, I'll let Aprilia pay for 1 or 2 more replacement tanks before I fork out for their defect. It's almost insulting to expect a customer to pay for this, while the unit is still under warranty

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    Not sure about you, but I was quoted $350 to have my new replacement tank coated before it was installed. No thanks, I'll let Aprilia pay for 1 or 2 more replacement tanks before I fork out for their defect. It's almost insulting to expect a customer to pay for this, while the unit is still under warranty
    Though I do agree with everything you wrote. I wanted to be done with the problem. I love the Bike and knew it had the problem before I bought it.
    I was surprised when it happened so quickly. I did not notice it actually. Jesse and Kyle at Seacoast spotted it and took action unprompted by me and mentioned the coating as a fix. Sure Ducati should pay for it but we all know they are not going to. So for a little money I can be done with it and Ride.,

Ya one of the things I'm not looking forward to on my Tuono. It's not a matter of if it's a matter of when. I'll let Aprilia pay for the new tanks till the warranty period is up then I'll have one coated. Sad that with the amount of tanks swelling that the manufactures won't come up with a remedy.

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R
    2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC

Ducati will replace it under warranty if it swells. Why not just let it grow and get a new one? They put 2 new ones on a S4Rs for me.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dove View Post
    Ducati will replace it under warranty if it swells. Why not just let it grow and get a new one? They put 2 new ones on a S4Rs for me.
    When was the last time you did that?

The class action suit closed the warranty period. The only winners of that action were (as usual) the attorneys.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast