Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Use Caution when changing oil filter!

Use Caution when changing oil filter!

FB friends have already seen this post, but I'm hoping to prevent anyone the potentially dangerous situation... especially since it almost happened to me yesterday!

WARNING: Use caution when changing OIL FILTER! (Make sure you only have ONE gasket!)

So with this warm weather I have finally been able to get the bikes de-winterized and ready for the season. While doing my usual oil and filter change, I almost made the potentially fatal error that we are always warning people about!

If you have a spin on type oil filter, make absolutely certain that the rubber gasket comes off with the old filter. They sometimes stick to the motor (which is what mine did this time.) Then when you spin on the new filter (that comes with it's own gasket - you end up with 2 gaskets. When this happens, you will not notice anything upon normal startup to set the oil level. Under hard acceleration, however, you will spit oil everywhere!

The fix is simple. When you remove the old filter, physically pull the old gasket out of the old filter before going any further. (many people just discard it without actually looking at it closely).

If you look at this link, you'll see a photo of an oil filter and the black O Ring I'm talking about.

Bike Preparation

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Hypertarded

Re: Use Caution when changing oil filter!

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    WARNING: Use caution when changing OIL FILTER! (Make sure you only have ONE gasket!)

They sometimes stick to the motor (which is what mine did this time.) Then when you spin on the new filter (that comes with it's own gasket - you end up with 2 gaskets. When this happens, you will not notice anything upon normal startup to set the oil level. Under hard acceleration, however, you will spit oil everywhere!

The fix is simple. When you remove the old filter, physically pull the old gasket out of the old filter before going any further. (many people just discard it without actually looking at it closely).
    actually had 1st hand experience with this on a car, oil change & shop left the old gasket for the "double", everything seemed fine while running in the lot. I made it 6 miles from the shop and the engine STOPPED. Long court battle ensued.

Also in addition to pulling the old gasket, wipe down the mounting surface on the engine with a clean rag as a triple check.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I think everyone who works on their own vehicles has done this at least once

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Never done this, but I did an oil change in the dark last year and somehow managed to thread the new filter on only 90% of the way before starting the bike. That was a fun mess to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Never done this, but I did an oil change in the dark last year and somehow managed to thread the new filter on only 90% of the way before starting the bike. That was a fun mess to clean up.
    How does that happen? You couldn't see that it didn't feel tight?

Yamaha

It mystifies me to this day. It was late, using a new brand of filter (K&N I think), resistance picked up significantly about 75% of the way in. I thought that was the gasket making contact, gave it another full turn, couldnt see the gap in the dark.

Lifer

On my Aprilia, it's almost impossible to not get some drips of oil on the lower part of the exhaust when draining. It has a cartridge filter, with a cover and o-ring seal. I fire it up for a test ride after an oil change, and at the first stop light smell a hint of burning oil. I think, that's okay because I know there was a small amount on the muffler. Stupid me. I apparently slightly nicked the o-ring, so it leaked as the oil pressure came up. At the next stop light, I still smell it and roll backwards to look for drips. And that's what I found. Won't make that mistake twice. I should be treating pre-ride like pre-flight. If it doesn't work perfect, might fall out of the sky.

Quite a few years ago, I apparently didn't seat an oil fill cap correctly on my car. It came off mid-highway. But it took a little while until enough oil came out and made enough smoke to see a cloud in my rear-view. Still cringe thinking about the mess that made.

nedirtriders.com

I remember someone (who I wont name) did this once when I was flagging a track day at NHMS. He slicked the whole front straight T1, T1a, and part of T2. Took forever to clean up too.

LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

There's a possibility I may have left the drain plug out and proceeded to dump 6 qts of Redline in before I realized it. There's a possibility the neighborhood kids learned a few new swear words after too.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

I once managed to thumb the starter with no oil filter installed at all. Shot oil all over the back of the front tire and 3/4 of the way across the shop floor.
    Who's the best? I am!

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    There's a possibility I may have left the drain plug out and proceeded to dump 6 qts of Redline in before I realized it. There's a possibility the neighborhood kids learned a few new swear words after too.
    i mean i have done 1/2 qt... but 6? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    i mean i have done 1/2 qt... but 6? LOL
    Lowered car. Dumped it all in before realizing it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    It mystifies me to this day. It was late, using a new brand of filter (K&N I think), resistance picked up significantly about 75% of the way in. I thought that was the gasket making contact, gave it another full turn, couldnt see the gap in the dark.
    You should have sex with the lights on....just to be sure