Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

CBR600RR end of life?

CBR600RR end of life?

I know they haven't updated it in ages and I really liked my 2009. Not sure if this includes US as well.

Honda CBR600RR is no more | MCN

A snippet from the article:

Honda will kill off the CBR600RR at the end of this year the current bike isn’t able to meet imminent Euro4 noise and emissions standards, which come into force on January 1, 2017. After that date a limited number of bikes can be sold in the UK and Europe under ‘derogation’ rules. After that, a model which has been a staple of the British biking diet for the past 30 years will be killed off.

There’s still no official word from Honda about the future of the CBR600RR but MCN’s Japanese sources have confirmed there’s not going to be a European replacement for the ultra-focussed CBR600RR, while the existing model could continue to be sold in markets unaffected by Euro4 legislation.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2013 ZX6R-636

Re: CBR600RR end of life?

Hasn't it been end of life since like 2011 or whenever they added ABS to it?

If true, that's sad. The CBR600 series has always been a great bike. Not always the fastest in the category, but close enough, while being versatile, high-quality, and well-nigh indestructible. It's the one I would choose in the segment.

That said, the model has been due for an update for a while. Unless the 600 class is a very poor seller in the EU, I would expect there to be a next generation of CBR600 at some point, and for that to be compliant with EU (over)regulation. Honda's model revision schedule might be such that the next CBR600 is a couple years off yet, so maybe it won't be sold there temporarily, but I'd be *very* surprised if Honda is giving up on competing in the 600 sportbike segment.

PhilB

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Not surprised. How many current gen examples of these have you seen on the road? Not many at all. Ugly as fuck IMO.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Reports are that the 600 class is across the board a poor seller in Europe.

I think the 1000 is getting an update. Maybe Honda thinks they are BMW and only need a liter bike. I liked the 600RR. Softer than my 636 but a well built stable and comfortable bike.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I've read a few articles about this. Apparently, Honda makes each regional market pay a portion of the development costs for new models. They can't sell the CBR600RR because it isn't Euro4 compliant. Other markets have no reason to support the development of a Euro4 compliant bike with the sales of 600's in decline. So, it's done in Europe. Remains to be seen what they do in other markets. One article also said that if Triumph wasn't so far down the development path in 2008, they would have shitcanned the Daytona 675. Apparently, 600's cost as much to develop as 1000's and the margins on the big bikes are better.

There was mention of the 675 becoming an 800-something in the article as well...

Quote Originally Posted by reks95 View Post
    600's cost as much to develop as 1000's and the margins on the big bikes are better
    I've heard this explanation for why there's no BMW S600RR with all the electronic goodies.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Reports are that the 600 class is across the board a poor seller in Europe.
    Maybe the supersports, but man there sure are a lotta nekkid bikes like FZ6's and CB600's runnin around errrywhere.

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Maybe the supersports, but man there sure are a lotta nekkid bikes like FZ6's and CB600's runnin around errrywhere.
    Right, hence the CB650, etc. The RR and it's ilk are dead however.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

CCS/LRRS #83

Maybe like KTM they thought the bike was too fast for the streets (when KTM killed the RC8R, and then built a faster 1290 super duke).

2013 ZX6R-636

Of course it's all speculation.

But I think that as long as there are 600 supersport racing classes, they will build bikes to fit that (600cc 4-cyl, 675cc 3-cyl, 750cc 2-cyl).
    Note that the 750cc supersport bikes all got discontinued (only the GSXR750 remaining) once the top superbike class went from 750cc to 1000cc, and everyone built 1000cc superbikes (or 1200cc 2-cyl).

Development costs are an issue, but if you have bikes for both classes, some of those costs can be shared.

BMW didn't go with a smaller supersport because their development was all about the fancy electronics, and a less expensive smaller bike would have to omit those to stay at all price-competitive. OTOH, note that Triumph *only* developed the smaller bike, and didn't make a 1000cc class (1100cc for 3-cyl) sportbike.

An 1100 Daytona would be cool. I wouldn't be surprised if an 800 Daytona appears; there is already an 800cc version of that engine in their lineup. MV Agusta similarly built a 675 triple, but didn't go racing with it, and has since moved to an 800cc version.

The racing rivalry between the Japanese companies remains strong, and Honda will need a CBR600 to compete with the R6/GSXR600/ZX6/whatever bikes. I'd love to see 675s from Triumph and MV Agusta and a Panigale 750 added to the mix. Alternatively, maybe the racing classes could bump up to 700cc 4-cyl, 800cc 3-cyl, 900cc 2-cyl, and pull in some new models.

I bet there is a new CBR600 in the pipeline somewhere, and it will be EU-compliant. They just don't want to spend the money to make the current version EU-compliant if it will be superceded soon.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 07-01-16 at 12:40 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

MV took their 675's racing in World SuperSport. I think there are a couple Daytona's on the grid, too.
    MV has a ton of bikes, but it looks like they were too ambitious and the lineup must shrink to avoid bankruptcy.
    I don't think it's clear what's going to get discontinued.

There are a couple Triumphs racing MotoAmerica, but they haven't had much success.