Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Certificate of origin to title in NH

Certificate of origin to title in NH

Hey guys, I have what I think is a bit of a tricky one for ya.

I'm looking at a bike that served its life as a trackie. The seller has the cert. of origin and it's signed over from the dealership in VA to another individual in VA. This person then gave the COO to the next buyer, which is who I'm dealing with. So... I'm familiar with title stuff - not COO stuff. Do you guys foresee any issues that the bill of sale will not be from the person whose name is on the back of the COO? The DMV seemed slightly confused when I called and said it needs to be titled before transferring to anyone other than the original name on the COO. But there are a lot more lines for transfer under the first buyer.

Any ideas?!?!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by greeny; 08-06-14 at 07:22 PM.

Re: Certificate of origin to title in NH

Certificate of origin to title in NH-coo-jpeg

Here's the front, I'm trying to get a better picture of the back from the seller...

Manch sucks for that shit. Sadly, that's all I can contribute. If it hasn't been used on the street a title shouldn't matter. You should be able to pay the $25 title app fee and get your title in 2 weeks with BOS & COO...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Yup, after some more digging and PM help, I don't think I'll be able to title this under my own name in NH. Kinda crappy but whatevs.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Title it in vt.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Isn't there a place on the back for transferring the COO? Just sign it over to yourself, all the in between owners shouldn't matter if it's never been titled and hasn't been reported stolen or had any insurance claims against it etc.. Should you be able to apply for the new title with what you have already though? the bos and coo

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Title it in vt.

TIMMYDUCK

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

Title it in vt.
    you offering to help? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave603 View Post
    Isn't there a place on the back for transferring the COO? Just sign it over to yourself, all the in between owners shouldn't matter if it's never been titled and hasn't been reported stolen or had any insurance claims against it etc.. Should you be able to apply for the new title with what you have already though? the bos and coo
    that's what i though, but what i've learned is that only dealers can do this. and the big ol' space in the back for a notary signature/stamp from the first owner is missing. not worth the gamble, i'm walking away from this one.

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    but what i've learned is that only dealers can do this. and the big ol' space in the back for a notary signature/stamp from the first owner is missing. not worth the gamble, i'm walking away from this one.
    I've never tried this, but... http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/d...chase-sell.htm says

If a New Hampshire resident buys a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer, the dealership shall provide the owner with either the Certificate of Origin or the Title. The buyer must apply for a new Title in his or her name at the town/city clerk's office and register the vehicle. A $25.00 title fee will apply, along with the appropriate registration fees. A VIN verification may be required.
    Call the DMV at 603-271-2251. Amazingly every time I've needed to contact them they have been extremely helpful.

Last edited by jasnmar; 08-07-14 at 11:32 AM.

You do not NEED to register a titled vehicle. For the VIN verification they'll send a LEO out to check it out, at least that's what they did in our town. All he did was look at the BOS and verify the VIN on the info plate. Took all of about 37 seconds...

I say you just go in there and tell 'em you'd like to apply for the title. Don't point any possible conflicts to them, let them find it on their own...IF they see anything odd at all...

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I've never tried this, but... http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/d...chase-sell.htm says

Call the DMV at 603-271-2251. Amazingly every time I've needed to contact them they have been extremely helpful.

i saw that too, but i'm not buying from an out-of-state dealer. the original buyer bought it from the dealer - and their name is on the back. only dealers can transfer, and the DMV confirmed this when i called them (along with a NH dealer). it's a no go but thanks for the help! and you're right, the NH DMV has always been pretty helpful when i call. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    You do not NEED to register a titled vehicle. For the VIN verification they'll send a LEO out to check it out, at least that's what they did in our town. All he did was look at the BOS and verify the VIN on the info plate. Took all of about 37 seconds...

I say you just go in there and tell 'em you'd like to apply for the title. Don't point any possible conflicts to them, let them find it on their own...IF they see anything odd at all...
    but a VIN verification and BOS is not enough for a bike that's not 15 years or older... is it? this is what the DMV has also told me in the past.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

vin verifications can be done at inspection stations as well. bring the bike and the form.

- - - Updated - - -

you offering to help? ;-)
    you can reg anything in vt. you dont even have to live there

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

but a VIN verification and BOS is not enough for a bike that's not 15 years or older... is it?
    It is not if you plan on registering it for the road.

but a VIN verification and BOS is not enough for a bike that's not 15 years or older... is it? this is what the DMV has also told me in the past.
    I'd still walk in with the COO & BOS and tell them you just wanna title it. Don't say anything else, just hand it to them. Worst they can say is 'no can do'...

Lifer

I just talked to the NH DMV. It seems when a COO is involved the original owner must be the one to apply for a title. She said under no circumstances could I title a vehicle less than 15 years old with a COO issued to someone else.

So.. bah!

I titled a COO bike with out any issue...... 04 WR450F its now titled and reg in my name

Just had to have a form filled out and stamped at the dealer ship.... I could call and ask my bud at my town hall if it would fly as he knows and is a motorcycle junkie too

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    I titled a COO bike with out any issue...... 04 WR450F its now titled and reg in my name

Just had to have a form filled out and stamped at the dealer ship.... I could call and ask my bud at my town hall if it would fly as he knows and is a motorcycle junkie too

I have done the same thing with a couple of wr450fs bought used with a COO and bill of sale. Filled out a declaration stating I made it street legal and paid some money. No dealer involved. Walked out with plates that day and a few weeks later had a title. I still own one of these and sold the other to a friend who has it registered in Mass. This was easy in NH.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    I just talked to the NH DMV. It seems when a COO is involved the original owner must be the one to apply for a title. She said under no circumstances could I title a vehicle less than 15 years old with a COO issued to someone else.

So.. bah!
    That's a crock. I, like the others quoted below have done just that. I've done it more than once...

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by lopycam View Post
    I have done the same thing with a couple of wr450fs bought used with a COO and bill of sale. Filled out a declaration stating I made it street legal and paid some money. No dealer involved. Walked out with plates that day and a few weeks later had a title. I still own one of these and sold the other to a friend who has it registered in Mass. This was easy in NH.

Nathan

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneman View Post
    That's a crock.
    Good to know. I won't pass on that perfect machine that has a COO but no title next time.
    Although the woman on the phone was adamant that I needed a title on a machine less than 15 years old, no exceptions. I'm guessing this is a case of institutionalized confusion?!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Good to know. I won't pass on that perfect machine that has a COO but no title next time.
    Although the woman on the phone was adamant that I needed a title on a machine less than 15 years old, no exceptions. I'm guessing this is a case of institutionalized confusion?!
    You're confusing me. That's not exactly what you said...

Lifer

Guy has <15 year old machine.
    I want machine. I want machine to ride on street. Need machine to be titled.
    Machine has no title, just COO because guy bought it new but never rode it on street. (So why pay for title?!)
    NH DMV say must have title from old guy to get new title to register to ride on street. So sorry.
    I say, thanks guy, gonna pass because no title.
    Guy says whatever, I find other guy to buy my shit.
    I am sad.

I explain things poorly and confuse NESR.
    NESR says DMV full of poo and I could have got a title.
    I am even more sad.

Okay, I see. Yeah, I've titled a couple of otherwise UNtitled machines with the COO & BOS without question. There's a couple of members here that can attest to that. But I didn't say that...