Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread

Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread

Made my first YouTube video!
    Click Here for Video

Bike is my 1998 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk, originally purchased for $250. I hope to continue building this into a track bike, right now I still need to find the oil leak(s) and patch the hole in the exhaust to keep the volume down for tracks other than loudon. I want to build a custom seat and custom fairing as well, but i'm not sure if that would be good video content.

What do you guys think? What should I do next on the bike? What are some random, entertaining things I can do with such a cheap, ratty bike? What are some things I did horribly wrong in this video?

The cost breakdown:

bike: $260
    rectifier: $15
    shift lever bolt: $13
    Stator: $69
    stator gasket: $8.50
    Master Cylinder Rebuild Kit: $18
    mirrors: $13
    Fork seals: $10
    clip-ons: $25
    throttle tube: $12
    Shift lever: $18
    brake lever: $15
    grips: $15
    Dunlop Q3 takeoffs: $70
    fork springs: $25
    manual cct set: $39
    linkage: $20
    swingarm: $30
    Lowering link: -$30 (sold)

Total Price so far: $669

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by tucktuvak; 07-10-19 at 02:55 PM. Reason: updated link
    YouTube: The Motorcycle Room 2015 R1 - 2009 KX250f

Re: Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread

A few at TTD have used them as a track bike. Not so sure about racing due to limited aftermarket upgrades (suspension, slipper clutch, etc.), weight and the side mount radiators (likely to take a beating when going down). It's more of the sport tour than a supersport. Still, it had a fun motor. After suspension and some fresh Q3s I'd say new front pads. Maybe front braded lines. After that I'd hold off on putting more $$ into it and just enjoy a couple track days. If you plan on the racing route it'll be better to go with something setup already. I imagine you'll exceed the capability of a SH in short order.

Have fun.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by 02redhawk View Post
    A few at TTD have used them as a track bike. Not so sure about racing due to limited aftermarket upgrades (suspension, slipper clutch, etc.), weight and the side mount radiators (likely to take a beating when going down). It's more of the sport tour than a supersport. Still, it had a fun motor. After suspension and some fresh Q3s I'd say new front pads. Maybe front braded lines. After that I'd hold off on putting more $$ into it and just enjoy a couple track days. If you plan on the racing route it'll be better to go with something setup already. I imagine you'll exceed the capability of a SH in short order.

Have fun.
    Thanks! I already have galfer lines on it, it had them when i bought it so I warranteed them for a new set, which is why they're not on the list. I have a remote reservoir cbr600 f4i shock that can be made to fit and is apparently a big upgrade from the stock shock, just haven't gotten around to fitting it yet...

Regarding "exceeding the capability of a SH" that's something I've read a fair amount about on the SH forums. What exactly is meant by that? I've actually never ridden a 600 supersport or an sv so I don't know what I'm missing out on , but I understand bikes have come a long way in the last 20 years.

I don't see the vidya.

How much of a toilet is it to have been $250? Need pics. Sounds like a fun project

Too many bikes to list
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Click here for video

Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-img_20180412_161604-jpg

It's the roughest motorcycle I have ever seen. Pretty much everything non-essential had been removed, plastics, fenders, turn signals, etc. Only stuff left was rear subframe, seat, wheels, tires, brakes, motor, chain, gauge cluster, rear brakelight (ziptied) and aftermarket LED lightbar. Brake lever was broken, clip-ons bent, dented tank, shifter was off the wrong bike and held together with zipties, clutch lever bent, seat ripped, in general super dirty, leaking fork seals, etc.

Where did you find it?

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    Where did you find it?
    Part of the story is in the video, was on facebook marketplace along with a 98 gsxr750 that was in pieces. Non-running because of a bad, shorted out stator, dead battery, along with all the other issues I stated. Guy had both listed for $1200 and I offered him $100 for the VTR. Made a deal at $250 and took it away!

How bad was the GSXR?

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    How bad was the GSXR?
    The engine was out and it was in his bulkhead style basement surrounded by 40's and natty ice. When he took me down there I couldn't even understand how the bike even got there! In general I like to buy motorcycles that are together so I don't lose the parts, but I guess that probably would have made a better track bike than the superhawk.

Watching the vidya now. Love it.

I'm encouraged to update the silly blog in my signature tonight

Too many bikes to list
    Mosdt likely drunkd

Nice!

I'm totally judging for the Crocs.

And that strand of hair in my face would drive me nuts.

Drills look fun though! Totally sucks you had to reassemble everything when he needed the ladder back.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Wow I thought I was the only superhawk guy on here. There was a guy who raced the VTR with a honda racing kit off an RC51 which included a front radiator & he filled the frame rails with weld to stiffen it. He had a braced swingarm etc.

I put CBR front ends on my 2 superhawks. (600 & 1000). They add adjustability and stiffness.

I have a gold valve kit for the hawk if you want to buy it. Its a huge improvement over stock handling wise.

I think you mentioned it but CBR600F4i brakes will mount right up and add power & feel.

I have vtr front ends and rims if you need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-dblvtr10-11-003-jpg  

Thanks, PM sent. I'm trying to keep the all-in budget under $1000 so I'm not sure if aftermarket front-ends are in the cards. I keep reading about that sort of frame reinforcement etc on the SH forums. I'm only a beginner rider, but I have to wonder how big of a difference those sorts of mods actually make, whether it's all in your head or what. I thought chassis flex was something the design engineers designed into the bike, but I also don't exactly understand the physics of how chassis flex/swingarm flex can effect stability, unless there's a resonance in the frame that causes instability.

Anyone else here listen to the Ken Hill Podcast? Been listening to that for awhile and now anytime I feel something strange with my bike I basically assume it's something I'm doing wrong and has nothing to do with the equipment.

Okay so I took the Superhawk to the TTD event at Palmer this Monday, after one more mod which was to "reupholster" the seat with some blue and green floormats. Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-img_20190718_161752-jpg

Thanks to everyone I met there and Tony for putting on such a great event. It was a blast, and the superhawk performed pretty well (didn't breakdown, leak fluids, or crash), especially considering I was operating on very little sleep that day. However, the "seat" was super slippery, I could have benefited from tank grips, the throttle is too slow, and the gear shift lever drags on the ground (which is pretty scary).
    Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-img_20190718_161826-jpg

As far as my suspension setup and tires, I was honestly too tired (and unskilled) to notice anything that seemed out of the ordinary. The bike felt really stable on the brakes and through the corners, only real thing i noticed was windblast/aerodynamics on the straights was really bad, so I might be looking into making a top fairing of some sort.

Looking forward to my next track day (7/26 Penguin) I'll be doing the following:
    -HRC quick turn throttle
    -tank pads??
    -some sort of front fairing/windscreen
    -machine new shift lever/buy the correct lever (current one is from a cbr600 f4i, it fits and works great except when i'm leaned over)
    -dial in my suspension settings
    -safety wire my gopro mounts so I can actually use them

Look for a video on all this stuff on my channel next week! Also a long shot, but does anyone who was there on Monday, riding in the Red group, have any video of me? Or if you were there and recognize the bike, do you have any feedback?

Video of some mods to make it more track ready

Did:
    -HRC quick turn throttle
    -gopro mounts/safety wire
    -new gear shifter
    -another track day, this time at Loudon with penguin, learned a lot, hrc throttle is an awesome upgrade

Coming soon:
    -DIY tank grips that won't ruin my leathers (hopefully)
    -building custom mounts to install the cbr600rr race fairings I just picked up
    -track day at Palmer tomorrow!
    -getting faster hopefully

DIY Tank Grips

Got some rubber skateboard griptape from dklskateboarding.com which worked really well for tank grips, easy to work with etc. Also cheap at $13 shipped.

Same plans as before, need to:
    -install the cbr600rr race fairings
    -get faster
    -possibly safety wire/prep this bike for racing

Problem is I just picked up a 2002 Aprilia RSV Mille that I imagine will be much better/faster on the track so I'm not sure what to do with the superhawk. I have another track day on Monday and I'll try to take both bikes so I can compare but that would involve renting a trailer...
    Riding them on the street the mille is much more flickable, has way better top end acceleration/aero, and more aggressive ergonomics. The superhawk is more stable and more comfortable with slightly better initial feel/bite from the brakes. Given these impressions it seems like the mille should destroy the superhawk on the track but I won't know for sure till I run some laps.

Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-img_20190923_210206-jpg

As it sits now, picked up gsxr1000 fairings from a friend for free.99, trimmed the insides a bit and they fit right up! Next up, a couple more fairing brackets to fab, patch the fairings, and then safety wire! Getting excited for round 7!

Done: Patched and painted the fairings, fabbed some fairing brackets, drilled for safety wire.

Cheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-71475376_961956417496717_2444218201131712512_n-jpgCheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-71572980_415440512494876_7536048835601104896_n-jpgCheap Honda Superhawk Build Video/Thread-71285104_505414250243783_1824287466350182400_n-jpg

Up next: Flush the radiator, oil change, wire it up, put together some sort of overflow tube catch can, and go racing!

Maaaaaan, I loved my superhawk. Wheelies for days. And I'm legit crap at wheelies.

Not much in the way of ground clearance, though.
    How did you sort out that dragging shifter? I'd put that on the "must fix" list. Unexpected downshifts mid-corner don't sound like a party I'd want to go to

I bit the bullet and bought a used shifter from a superhawk on fleabay, the cbr600 shifter wasn't really designed for the mounting point on the superhawk and so it stuck out way more. Now I just rub the footpegs at high lean...
    Every other motorcycle I have wheelies easier than the hawk

So, took the superhawk to Loudon for round 7. First of all thanks so much to everyone who helped me out with class, safety wiring, and spare parts/tools. Got my number (495) and got all set to race. It was a cold and damp morning for the class, and I crashed in the second session at turn 2. Not much damage, broke my gear shift lever and fortunately had that spare cbr600 lever in my box, so I put that on and was able to get back out and finish the class.

I was going pretty slowly/tentatively after the Friday crash because I wanted to make sure I got my license so I can do practice sessions next year and get racing without having to do it over again. So Saturday in the rookie race I was in my own wave and went pretty slow, just to make sure I would finish. Then, in novice formula 1 I started out in 5th and then got passed so i was in 6th (last). I decided to relax and just focus on my lines, braking points, etc, and by the end of the race I put in a 1:29.7 on my last lap (1:37 first lap). I also passed the guy in 5th so I didn't come in last! Not bad considering I was certainly in the wrong gear for most of the corner exits and not really pushing it, and I was on bald Q3's. Last time I was at Loudon on my superhawk for a track day my fastest lap was something like a 1:34.

Sunday went out for practice in the early morning (VERY COLD), went slow because of the cold weather but felt really good and relaxed. So for Novice Rookie 1 I was in the front of the grid, and came into turn 1 in second place! This totally messed up my focus and my plan for the race, because I actually thought I had a chance at winning. I passed Yoshi going into turn 11 on the first lap to cross the line in first (for the first lap) and then he promptly passed me on the brakes into turn 1. Then David Mink passed me shortly after that so I was in third but still running with them. I noticed I was a lot faster on the brakes going into turn 3 but was slower on the straights (big surprise, stock superhawk vs supersport built 600 and gsxr750). So I was trying to go faster and faster to catch up because they kept gapping me on the straights. This did not help me focus on my downshifting going into corners, which is currently my biggest go-fast hurdle to overcome. Sometimes I completely forget to downshift and then I'm tractoring out in way too high of a gear. Lap 4 did a 1:29.3 which is a personal best for me on any bike, and then on lap 5 I crashed again when I locked up the brakes just before turn in on 3 and hit the airfence. Big mistake, destroyed my clutch reservoir and lever so that was that for the weekend.

Definitely learned my lesson about having a plan for every race, and once I get passed I should focus on just turning laps instead of making up time on the guys ahead of me. Have a bit of work to do, but plenty of time to get the bike back together before next April! Despite the crashes I really enjoyed my first race weekend, and I know I have a lot to work on with fundamentals, race preparation, and bike tuning.

I have a lot of cool mods planned for the winter on the superhawk, and I'll try to start making videos about them. Thanks again to everyone who helped out, and looking forward to next season!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

talk to KB about the Key Bang program for the SuperHawks

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Who is KB and what is the Key Bang?

Don't forget to replace the reservoir with one from an SV.

And use the rest of the SV too.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Don't forget to replace the reservoir with one from an SV.

And use the rest of the SV too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast