Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

F*CK Massachusetts

F*CK Massachusetts

Anyone who recently went to insure their bikes this season knows why. Like the state doesnt take enough money from us now there tacking more money onto our motorcycle insurance. I just got a quote for my 2005 gsxr 1000 and it was 2200 dollars.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

F*CK Massachusetts

What step are you? 27?????

Bruce

F*CK Massachusetts

I am step 18 carrying full insurance, the way the state is doing it now adds on money for not riding for 3 years

F*CK Massachusetts

We'll see how my fully insured Rex fairs this year. My first year as a step 9!!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

F*CK Massachusetts

Do you have lots of experience riding and just took a layoff or are you in your first 3 years of riding?

F*CK Massachusetts

I do have a friend in NH where we could probably scam something but them you get into that whole possible denial of insurance because of false garaging. I dont think I want to deal with that

Lifer

F*CK Massachusetts

Originally posted by TheIglu
    We'll see how my fully insured Rex fairs this year. My first year as a step 9!!
    Clayton you freaking suck!!!! Step 9 goddam I'm jealous!

Littering and........

F*CK Massachusetts

My Dad registers and insures his cars and bikes in Vermont because its cheaper (he lives in NY).

All you need is a P.O. Box, VT DMV is a breeze, no salvage inspections, no required insurance (its against the law not to have it, but they dont check it when you register), etc. if you get a P.O. Box at a Mailboxes, etc., they'll forward all of your mail right to your house.

F*CK Massachusetts

A friend at an insurance company spoke with someone he works with regarding this issue. What he told me was that the state is considering anyone with less than 6 years of having their motorcycle endorsment an inexperienced rider, and for those individuals they will get hit with the rise in premiums. So when it is time to renew in 2005 that is when you are supposed to see the increase. And he said it doesn't really matter what step you are, you will still see some type of increase.

Lifer

F*CK Massachusetts

It'll be interesting to see if I get bumped up. I won't be renewing till early in 2006, and I hit 6 years next June.

So at worst I may pay for a few months at the higher rate and then hopefully I can get it adjusted down.

The problem is adjusting anything down in MA requires taking out a new policy. I learned all about this last year as my step dropped 3 points in 2004. My insurance guy jumped through some hoops to get my rate to go down.

F*CK Massachusetts

I wonder if it's six years total time or six years in MA. I've had my motorcycle license for 12 years, but I've only lived in MA for 5...I'll find out soon since I renew in June...nothing like promoting the sport... MA

Clyde
    03 sv650s

F*CK Massachusetts

Now this is what I found, and now I want to go find the breakdown of my insurance and see if I can figure this shit out.

"All Liability 12.0%

Compulsory Liability 12.0%

Physical Damage 13.8%

We also wanted to remind you of the changes in the rating of motorcycle policies. The following changes have been made to AIB Manual Rule 44. Motorcycles, Motorscooters, Mopeds and Similar Motor Vehicles:

Experienced or inexperienced operator classifications apply to coverage parts 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8.The experienced operator classification is applied when all operators of the motorcycle have been licensed to operate a motorcycle for at least six years.The inexperienced operator class is applied when any operator of the motorcycle has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for less than six years, or holds a motorcycle permit. When an inexperienced operator classification is applied to a motorcycle, the rates for parts 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 8 must be multiplied by a factor of 1.50. The Safe Driver Insurance Plan step assigned to an operator on a private passenger automobile insurance policy, if available, shall be applied to the motorcycle policy in accordance with Safe Driver Insurance Plan administrative procedures.

If there is more than one motorcycle on a policy, any inexperienced operators shall be assigned to the motorcycle with the highest sum of premium for Parts 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 before application of any available credit, surcharge, or discount. Any motorcycles remaining after assignment of all inexperienced operators shall be assigned an experienced operator classification. If an inexperienced operator is the only listed operator on the policy all motorcycles shall be assigned an inexperienced operator classification."

Lifer

F*CK Massachusetts

I feel your pain if your rates went up... maybe they should have grandfathered everyone who had a license before 2005 in.

However I agree with the basics of the rule change. I think this is a better way for them to assign rates than based on your choice of bike.

F*CK Massachusetts

The problem I see with the law is that say I was 34 years old, got my MC license at the age of 17. Once I got that license I didn't touch a bike up until I finally decide that at 34 I want to get a bike. Now here I am after not riding for about 17 years I am going to go out and buy a new bike and get great insurance rates over someone who has had his license for 4-5 years and was always out on their bike whenever they had a chance and always working on improving their riding.

I don't know I just think it's a flawed idea. I know it's tough for them because they just have to go by what the average expectations of someone is that has had their license for less than 6 years and that those people are usually younger. But then it pretty much just generalizes everyone and says that no matter how well you can ride it's not as well as someone that has had a license for 6 years. And on top of that this person that has had his license for 17 years but has not ridden once since the day he received his license, he has plenty of experience, enough that we will give him a discount.

Lifer

F*CK Massachusetts

I totally agree with you...

There is no way they could track the mileage very easily though. They don't understand bikes that well anyway.

It's totally different then cars anyway as almost everyone drives there car a lot, not many people get a license & car and then drive it 1000 miles a year. I don't think the lawmakers and insurance people understand that someone who rides 500 miles a year is not necessarily very safe. What they understand is that a guy who rides that little probably hasn't crashed cause he hasn't been riding, so he didn't cost them any money.

I think you're probably a pretty rare case, most people with that long of a layoff probably let their MC license lapse or lose it when they move to another state. So hopefully this catches all the guys who are 50 something who had a 250cc bike in the 1960s or 1970s and are now somehow qualified to pilot a 1500-2000cc 800lb cruiser around after a 30 year layoff and no formal training, as they seem to be the new demographic killing themselves on bikes.

They're getting way more strict with licensing lots of places it seems. My brother just became an Ohio resident, and they refused to carry over his MA motorcycle license and are making him either retake MSF or take the state test to prove that he is actually a decent rider. That kind of thing should be good in the long run for safety.

F*CK Massachusetts

Originally posted by benVFR
    Clayton you freaking suck!!!! Step 9 goddam I'm jealous!
    Hey, I'm fully insured for 400-something a year on my "slow, vintage type motorcycle".

Still glad you got that fairing to protect you from the elements (excluding insurance premiums of course)?

It pays having a 'retro' bike!

I have been stopped on the bike for speeding once when I was 16. I was doing 60 in a 45. He let me go for 55 in a 45. Got one more ticket for passing on a double yellow in my car in NH (which was bull, but I was still technically at fault). I was 18 at the time. Since then, nothing. No speeding, nothing.

Don't worry, I was paying twice as much with my MUCH slower Ducati a couple years back.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

F*CK Massachusetts

However I agree with the basics of the rule change. I think this is a better way for them to assign rates than based on your choice of bike.
    Except there not doing it that way, you still get screwed for having a larger bike and then they screw you more for riding less than 6 years.

If they had one or the other it wouldnt be so bad but both sucks. And everyone with a license before the law should be grandfathered in this is bullshit.

VOTE ME FOR GOVERNOR AND I WILL CHANGE THESE LAWS.

Lifer

F*CK Massachusetts

eh... larger bikes get crashed more often anyway.

Don't like it, get a smaller bike or ride without insurance, establish a fake residence, or do some other nefarious activity to get out of the insurance fees.

As far as I can tell nothing affects my insurance more then the town I select to live in... when I buy a house this will be a factor in selecting a town.

My insurance for my VFR is about $1000 where I live right now. I know for a fact if I moved out where Clayton is it would drop to $500-600. The SV was just as expensive as the VFR for me. That's for full coverage of course.

Sounds like

a major disappointment!

And to think the type they are targeting was just $400 last year........

I'd like to see the Commonwealth break down the costs to justify this.

Insurance in MA IS regulated by the Commonwealth and aside for "no-fault" that seems like a good thing.

-Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

and ONE step further

To apply this scale to "beginners" which BEnVFR says is fair, and probably is, should ALSO apply to first time cage licensees...........

An even application of the "rule".
    That's IMHO.

Kids, newbies and beginners: Across the entire scale. Cars, trucks, bikes, 18yo in whore houses......etc.

-Suf Daddy

Suf Daddy.

F*CK Massachusetts

eh... larger bikes get crashed more often anyway.

Don't like it, get a smaller bike or ride without insurance, establish a fake residence, or do some other nefarious activity to get out of the insurance fees.

As far as I can tell nothing affects my insurance more then the town I select to live in... when I buy a house this will be a factor in selecting a town.

My insurance for my VFR is about $1000 where I live right now. I know for a fact if I moved out where Clayton is it would drop to $500-600. The SV was just as expensive as the VFR for me. That's for full coverage of course.
    Yeah, the town matters most. Almost more than what step you are.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

F*CK Massachusetts

I'm 21, with a clearn record, on my father's policy with a 1989 Ninja. I got my motorcycle endorsement in Summer of 2003.

How will that fare? Up until now, it's been ~$200/year.

Re: Sounds like

Originally posted by Suf Daddy
    a major disappointment!

And to think the type they are targeting was just $400 last year........

I'd like to see the Commonwealth break down the costs to justify this.

Insurance in MA IS regulated by the Commonwealth and aside for "no-fault" that seems like a good thing.

-Suf Daddy
    the insurance industry is generally the largest and most powerful lobby in state legislatures, your regulations are nothing but legalized price fixing by the insurance industry.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

F*CK Massachusetts

Good stuff.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

F*CK Massachusetts

way to much to read here but I agree with the first 2 words - I hate MA

Bras cause cancer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast