Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Chain and Sprockets?

Question Chain and Sprockets?

Well, today I took a look at my sprockets and the rear is missing about 6 teeth. So I was wondering peoples opinions on what to go with when buying new sprockets and a new chain. I have been looking into RK sports and AFAM stuff, as well as Vortex. Also, is anyone running a steel rear sprocket rather than an alloy? What are the benifits of going with all steel, or should I stay with alloy? Thanks

Oh yeah I have a CBR900RR and am thinking of a 530 set-up. Is a 520 or 525 any better or worse? From what I understand the 530 is the stronger of them!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ride or Die!
    I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at Death.

Chain and Sprockets?

I've run AFAM and Sprocket Specialties and like them both.. right now I'm running SS because I like the look of the lightened sprocket and I also have one of their hardened alum alloy sprockets (hardening process gives it a gold color). I can't compare the wear between them yet because I've just started running them this year. As far as size goes.. if you are just running on the street go with the 530 for the strength (which relates to the life of the chain).. the 520 is nice if you're racing and are looking to shave as much weight as you can but for the street just leave your cell phone and pager home and don't eat a big breakfast that day... LOL. As far as chains most of the sprocket companies will have package deals with chains they sell.. I like the DID chains myself.. I had an RK chain stretch on me real bad on my other bike but it was probably just a fluke because I know plenty of peeps that like RK's.. all personal preference.. but like tires.. on a litre bike especially buy a GOOD chain....

Chip

Chain and Sprockets?

Yip, there's a lot that'll argue that going with the smaller chain is the only way to go. Not this kid though. I'll most likely always run steel sprockets with the 530 chain that the bike came from the manufacturer with, although I'm gonna jump up a coupla teeth on the rear when the time comes...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Chain and Sprockets?

If you're looking for an investment that will last you approximately 15K miles, OEM sprockets and a DID 530 chain is the way to go. And yes, you CAN get a pimp-ready DID 530 in gold. I will never go with an RK chain again, that much I know. As far as conversion goes, less unpsrung weight and less drag are the advantages. Having a setup last not so long, maybe require shims on the countershaft, and maybe having an alingment issue with the chain buffer are the disadvantages.

Now it's about time to discuss the rivet/clip type master link.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Chain and Sprockets?

hey JC, lets start a bike speed/repair shop.

you got most of the tools now?!?! and i am sick of dealing with the corporate world.
    Working on bikes all day and getting paid for it... now we're talking.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Chain and Sprockets?

well forum nazi... i am serious.

i got a couple of racing friends back home.. .(mostly straight line kinda guys) but we have been talking about creating a race company to do custom computer/control systems and custom machining heads and all that shit for bikes, and maybe cars too... and north eastern mass/ southern NH seems like a good place to base it outta... two big tracks just north of us and lots of rich yuppies to give us their money.

hmmmm.... is definitely the thought in my mind.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Chain and Sprockets?

need a circuit designer for that shiz-nit?

i'm not half bad at perl, if the need be... although ben could probably walk me in coding kung-fu.

-t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Talking wheelie

Well, heres the deal guys. Today I ordered an RK acceleration kit. Going to run me about $180, for the chain and both sprockets. The stock set-up on my CBR900 is 530, 16 and 43. The new set-up is going to be 520, 15 and 43. Not so bad I guess. I just hope I can get so descent miles out of the new RK's!
    So thanks for the suggestions.

Ride or Die!

Chain and Sprockets?

we shall see what comes of it. i am still contemplating the reality of being able to make it work and IF it would really be profitable. Problem is, we need a way to make a name for the group, to prove to anyone that we really knows enuff about motors to convince them to spend their moeny with us. Ideas included creating the worlds fastest Hardley. (Come on, if we got one to cross the 1/4 line in like 6 seconds.... you know we could make anything else on earth fast)
    Another idea was maybe making that F4i even better (what do ya say Degsy... would a little more bang for the buck be interesting, or is suspension and handling the key for your races?) maybe a new fuel control system and sensors to balance shit out. but the R&D would take time, equipment and lots of capital. a few stumbling blocks eh?!

just some thoughts, the big one of course though is that i KNOW i would enjoy that a lot more than this torturous job in the sea of cubicles. i am not Dilbert material and am going stir crazy in this office.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

got them

The new chain and sprockets are in and on the bike. I ended up with a 530 set-up with the 15 tooth countershaft sprocket and the 43 rear sprocket. The bike rides great with a new clutch and the new chain and sprockets. Thanks for everyones input.

Ride or Die!

Chain and Sprockets?

glad to hear it man, sorry to have bastardized your thread so bad.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Chain and Sprockets?

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    sorry to have bastardized your thread so bad.
    no you're not... i mean, really. you're not.
    -t

ps. glad everything worked out well, speedy.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Chain and Sprockets?

yes i am, really i am.

Speedy asked for some real suggestions, some were offered, i went off on a tangent as usual, but luckily there were enuff suggestions to cover the matter at hand because he has his gear together now. i felt kinda bad cause he even took the time to say thanks! and not say just fuck off.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR