Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Clutch question?

Clutch question?

My YZ 426 clutch has been a bit grabby the past few times i rode it. When you let the clutch out for the first time after just about every time you start it, it grabs very suddenly?
    I finally took it apart tonight to try and figure what needed to be replaced. The clutch plates all look fine, 2 of the steel plates that were close to the center were discolored, almost a blue color? Also the basket (the inner part) has some very small ridges in it? I also noticed on the basket the posts that the clutch springs ride on have groves as well? Any ideas what should be replaced? I was going to just order a clutch kit, steel/fiber plates and new springs.
    Thanks for any help

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yamaha

Clutch question?

replace all of the components..don't forget new bolts too, they like to bend....

Clutch question?

Even the basket?

Yamaha

Clutch question?

Not positive about a wet clutch, but with my TZ I did not replace any steel plates unless:

- they were below the minimum thickness

- they did not slide on/off the basket freely (which usually meant the steel plate was slightly warped)

In the first year, I wasted a lot of time scuffing up plates to remove the bluing, and never found any difference in performance.

As for the "notching", that's when the free sliding trick comes in again.

If the basket is notched enough that you can't freely slide a good steel plate on it, then it needs to be filed or replaced. Keep in mind that filing can lead to a sloppy clutch if too much needs removing.

Tony

Banned

Clutch question?

Originally posted by 35racer
    Keep in mind that filing can lead to a sloppy clutch if too much needs removing.

Tony

Huh?? Ooooh, sloppy CLUTCH! For a minute there...nevermind.

D

Clutch question?

I think it's the inner basket and the plates are getting hung up on the notches. All the clutch fibre and steel plates are well within spec according to my service manual, and some discoloration of the steel plates is considdered normal. I'm going to file the basket for now and put the old clutch back in. Maybe i'll just buy a full kit and have it as a backup at the track

Originally posted by 35racer
    Not positive about a wet clutch, but with my TZ I did not replace any steel plates unless:

- they were below the minimum thickness

- they did not slide on/off the basket freely (which usually meant the steel plate was slightly warped)

In the first year, I wasted a lot of time scuffing up plates to remove the bluing, and never found any difference in performance.

As for the "notching", that's when the free sliding trick comes in again.

If the basket is notched enough that you can't freely slide a good steel plate on it, then it needs to be filed or replaced. Keep in mind that filing can lead to a sloppy clutch if too much needs removing.

Tony

Yamaha

Clutch question?

Originally posted by R7
    I think it's the inner basket and the plates are getting hung up on the notches.
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accessor...10blcl-500.jpg

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Clutch question?

I used to dig up the outside basket, notches from the tabs..
    Fragment clutch plates, and screw up the hub, as well as bend the bolts.
    Filing can help, but if you are racing like I was, you can't afford to have it go shit on ya during a race..
    Replace the bushing while you are at it too....