Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Clutch spring...lessen clutch pull

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Clutch spring...lessen clutch pull

So I've had this wr 250f for 4 years ?
    A 2010. Love it but.....
    The pull on the clutch lever sucks. It really wearsmy hand out and I cant actuate it like my xr650r which is butter smooth and soft
    Any ideas on to lessen the tension on it ? I already put ASV lever and it lessens the angle but it still very grippy
    This is a pita as my hand gets tires and well turn into sloppy clutch use while riding. New clutch plates. Etc were placed and no improvement.
    I've heard of removing a clutch spring or two but any ideas before I do that( would suspect that could cause the bike to slip out of gear )
    Ps my left hand is plenty of strong to actuate. (Wink wink )

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    hmmmm......

Re: Clutch spring...lessen clutch pull

going for the mechanical advantage over less/lighter springs seems to be the best bet here.
    I found this on TT pretty quickly:

"The other thing to do, is to install the clutch actuator arm from a 2010-2013 YZ250F. Note that your clutch may be more apt to drag with this different arm. If you are an aggressive rider, you are probably less likely to have a dragging clutch.

The clutch actuator arm from a yz400f and I believe 426f is also longer then your stock. I put one in from a yz400f to make the pull easier. It helped, but the biggest difference I noticed was it was easier to modulate the clutch."

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lube/replace the cable, verify the routing doesn't have it taking any sharp bends, etc. The clutch pull on my 92 250 was murderous, turned out to be all in the cable.

Lifer

My WR has always had a disappointingly heavy clutch pull. Far as I know, they're the original factory springs too. I never understood why Yamaha would have shipped it like that. I decided to accept it.

A fresh cable helps, and a new lever/perch can make a surprising difference. But even with everything brand new, the pull is still pretty heavy. Just much smoother.

Before every ride, I give a quick spray of SC1 or chain lube at the actuator and the perch pivot. Although that can mean you have to pull the lever out and clean the pivot a little more often.

nedirtriders.com

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

ordering the new actuator arm now.
    Already threw on a new cable with lube.... and made sure there were no kinks, I only wish it was that easy.
    if this doesnt work... maybe diff clutch springs

hmmmm......

i've never tried one but could also give the Moose Easy Pull Clutch System a try. $42

Beta 200RR

Banned

removing a clutch spring or two wouldn't make it slip out of gear, but it may allow the clutch to slip at full throttle/high rpm. Make sure the springs that are in there aren't stronger than stock (some barnett kits come with stiffer springs).