Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

clutchless upshift

I Dance With Will

clutchless upshift

this maybe personal preference subject. Are some of you doing clutchless upshift sometimes? They say it's bad for the gear if you don't do it right and grind grind the gear. I tried doing this but the gear doesn't seem to wanna pop out. I did clutchless downshift sometimes. They say it's also bad, but I didn't hear any grinding gear. comments?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "fuckit!"

clutchless upshift

I sometimes don't use the clutch for both up and down shifting. If you cut the throttle for just a sec in the power band a quick up shift will put you in gear. I do it most of the time, I know that I'm not pullin the lever in enough to disengage the clutch most of the time, but then again being on a pig like SuperHawk(insert your smartass remarks here you fucks) it's a little forgiving

....................... PinHead's Avatar

clutchless upshift

I will often upshift without the clutch but not downshift. Allthough I might be reversing that this year if I go to GP style shifting, hmmmm is it still called upshifting eventhough you are phisically downshifting?

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

RSVMILLE661

clutchless upshift

The best way I have found to upshift with out the clutch is to place my boot under the shifter and take up any slack in the lever it self. Then as Sevensgt said blip the throttle ever so quickly and click it in it should almost do it by itself. Down shifting.. Umm you try down shifting a high compression twin with out the clutch. I promise I'll come visit you in the hospital.

I Dance With Will

clutchless upshift

when you say "cut the throttle" or "blip" do you mean snap it shut?

<Umm you try down shifting a high compression twin with out the clutch. I promise I'll come visit you in the hospital.>

even when you slowdown enough that you NEED to downshift? clutch or not?

"fuckit!"

RSVMILLE661

clutchless upshift

Throttle off for a blink of an eye

clutchless upshift

being that i drove tractor trailer for quite a few years, i pretty much can drive anything without using the clutch. it's my experience that no matter what your driving or riding, it is easier to shift the higher you are in the rpm range. don't get me wrong, i can pretty much shift my bike without the clutch at any rpm, but there's a certain point in the rpm range where it feels like an automatic.
    my technic of upshifting is also to apply a little pressure to the shift lever and then roll off, click up and roll on. i don't see any harm being done to the tranny using this method. nly problem is, that i have a hard time riding a bike with an electric shifter, because of my toe always against the shifter. just ask chip...
    now downshifting is a dif. story. in a car or a truck you can match the rpms by putting it in nuetral between gears and blipping the throttle. this makes a nice smooth shift. that's not possible with a bike. well, atleast i can't find neutral btween gears. so i personally don't think it's such a good idea.

hey pinhead,
    be careful switching to gp shift pattern. i switched mine last summer before i went to myrtle beach. i rode about a month without a problem. well, it was kinda a problem having to concetrate so much on shifting. but anyway, i was starting to get comfortable and then...1st gear......11,500rpm, shift......2nd, 11,500rpm, shift.........3rd, 11,500, shift.....fuckkkk , that's 2nd again.....pull in the clutch asshole
    i don't think it's supposed to rev to 14-15000rpms.......oops
    just be careful. i might have hurt my motor, valves are a little noisy now. oh well... did someone say 1140 kit?

peace

guy on the vintage Yamaha Rice-rocket1's Avatar

clutchless upshift

Originally posted by Kham
    when you say "cut the throttle" or "blip" do you mean snap it shut?

<Umm you try down shifting a high compression twin with out the clutch. I promise I'll come visit you in the hospital.>

even when you slowdown enough that you NEED to downshift? clutch or not?
    As RSVMILLE661 and GMS1000 said, when you take up all the slack in the shifter with your boot, just till it feels that you would have to force it to go any further "cut the throttle" to unload the gears. When this happens the pressure from your boot will pop the bike into the next gear.

I usually do not power shift from first to second (not as smooth on the tranny) but from second up its fine.

Clutchless down shifting, I don't do it. Have down it by accident and it has a tendency to upset the bike....

Hope this helps....

Last edited by Rice-rocket1; 01-05-03 at 07:08 PM.
    My ride's

95 FZR 1000
    19xx DOUBLE "D"
    (sold) 02 CBR600 F4i (track bike)
    06 Chevy Supercharged Cobalt SS

I Dance With Will

clutchless upshift

Originally posted by Rice-rocket1

Clutchless down shifting, I don't do it. Have down it by accident and it has a tendency to upset the bike....

Hope this helps....
    the quote reply didn't work last time so here it is again. what I meant when downshift was when the rpm is low enough to change gear, either clutchless or clutch. I don't see or feel any danger in this other than the gearbox.

"fuckit!"

clutchless upshift

I never downshift without the clutch. I alsways upshift without it except sometimes first to second when going slow. RC 51s seem to be even smoother without it as long as you do the split second off throttle thing like everyone said. Its realy no more than a partial flick of the wrist. Mine also pops in without much pressure all on its own as other people have pointed out.

** Beware of cool down laps, injury may result**

clutchless upshift

As I know it: "Cut throttle" = drop back to idle. "Blip" = quick goose and release of throttle.

Blip is prefered method of downshifting: Engage clutch, blip throttle, shift down, disengage quickly and smoothly while RPM's from the blip match selected gear. This prevents upsetting of rear wheel and damaging engine while maintaining right gear for control and acceleration.
    Listen to the guy blip his motor while downshifting around the corner here (not a bike, but good example and sound clip is awesome)

If you're gonna try clutchless downshifting, better get a slipper clutch. Although expensive it's cheaper than new bike and hospital bills.

Clutchless upshifting as stated in earlier posts, the main idea is to do it when there's no load on the engine.
    -Jack

'02 Duc MS4
    "Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter-Accusations"

I Dance With Will

downshift only

I think you'all still misunderstood me about downshifting because you'al keep saying it's dangerous or is it really?

OK, nevermind the clutchless downshift. You're slowing down because of the traffic or whatever and your rpm is dropping dropping dropping and you need to change from 5 to 4 and to 3 for example. Normal way is to disengage clutch, downshift, then release clutch. Since the throttle is roll off anyway because of slowing down or braking, what I accidentally did before was blip once again and just downshift, maybe little engine breaking here. Sure you're upsetting the rear but not so much to throw you off or anything. I dont feel like anything is stressing, or maybe. Maybe this still clear, but

"fuckit!"

Banned

clutchless upshift

I don't use the clutch at all when I'm racing. I just bang it up and down the box as needed. I need a slipper clutch, that would be awesome. I bent a shift dog on my race bike last year in one race and just kept banging it up and down the box and eventually ended up with just 3rd gear. Finished the race though.

Degs

clutchless upshift

I pretty much NEVER use my clutch when upshifting... I have a Techtronics electric shifter... downshifting on the other hand I pretty much do use the clutch most of the time even though my shifter works on both the up and downshift.

nope thats y my trany still works good thou

had bikes that i dint use clutch kept bending shift dogs its up 2 you if your racing then dont use your clutch & its more smooth shifting i think

clutchless upshift

Originally posted by RSVMILLE661
    Down shifting.. Umm you try down shifting a high compression twin with out the clutch. I promise I'll come visit you in the hospital.

I downshift sometimes not all the time, just a little jerky depending on what rpm's are at

Forgot to add....... only when slowing down at low speeds

Last edited by SEVENSGT; 01-06-03 at 01:56 PM.

RSVMILLE661

clutchless upshift

I was thinking more race applications for this discussion. Only because most of my riding is done on the track. Slipper clutch or not, trying to drop a gear with out the clutch coming into turn 1 will ruin your day.

Banned

clutchless upshift

It will on a twin, but I just lock up the rear on the 4 cylinder.

degs

Banned

clutchless upshift

You know, I got to thinking and I MUST be using the clutch to downshift into turn 1. I just don't realise I'm doing it...I think.

RSVMILLE661

clutchless upshift

I dont notice that I am doing it really. I am paying more attention to my braking and matching revs than the actual clutch engagement. Ultimately I am watching where the hell I am going versus anything else.

....................... PinHead's Avatar

clutchless upshift

Clutch is kinda key when shifting durring wheelies...I love that!!!

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce