Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comfort getting the bike leaned over

Comfort getting the bike leaned over

So I have 2 bikes. My older bike is a Ninja 500 and I have an FZ6. I actually had given the Ninja 500 to my wife, but had to ride it yesterday to drop it off for some service.

I noticed that I felt significantly more comfortable flicking the bike over on exits and the such then I do on my FZ6. What am I missing? Wrong tires on the FZ? Just general comfort? Ride setup?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Comfort getting the bike leaned over

Costs less to replace if you bin it...

That is true...but I am 100% sure that hasn't crossed my mind...since both of them were reasonably low priced...

Lifer

Tire pressure.

nedirtriders.com

Quote Originally Posted by aldend123 View Post
    Tire pressure.
    care to elaborate? is her tire pressure low and mine is high? vice versa?

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

different geometry, frame materials, suspension adjustments, bad oil in suspension, incorrectly adjusted suspension. there are a ton of different factors that would make them handle differently from each other

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    different geometry, frame materials, suspension adjustments, bad oil in suspension, incorrectly adjusted suspension. there are a ton of different factors that would make them handle differently from each other
    Other then the lean, I generallly dislike riding her bike at high speeds. I feel literally blown around on that bike on the highway, to the point where I move in the lane from it/the bike seems to jiggle.

I have owned both, the tire profile, suspension, ergonomics,rake/trail numbers ,center of gravity. They are pretty much different.
    FZ6 has a higher Center of Gravity compared to the EX500 and thus turns in slower.
    Oh and ergonomics, take a look here http://cycle-ergo.com/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Karate.Snoopy View Post
    I have owned both, the tire profile, suspension, ergonomics,rake/trail numbers ,center of gravity. They are pretty much different.
    FZ6 has a higher Center of Gravity compared to the EX500 and thus turns in slower.
    Oh and ergonomics, take a look here http://cycle-ergo.com/
    wow...that site is awesome...remind me to look at that when I go to buy a new bike....

Yeah just go ahead add a bunch of motorcycles, one neat trick to see the transitions/comparison overlay is to slowly scroll up and down ;-)

What motorcycles do you suggest with a stance similar to the 500? I'm short(5'8), so I can't flat foot the FZ6, and can with the 500....

As a refinement to what others have contributed, does the EX feel as though it holds a line better once turned in? I know some bikes I've ridden it feels like you could take a nap once leaned over, others required constant bar pressure to keep cornering, and others yet (my track SV) are very sensitive to any bar input and feel "twitchy" if you aren't light with the grips. Along the lines of ergos, maybe you're more comfortable leaning a bike with an upright riding position? Check the tire profiles, is one more round and the other more triangle or pointy?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

If there is a God, Clayton will post here

I will admit these tires are stock on the FZ(but with only like 5k miles) and the bike is now 6 years old. Was planning on changing them out pre-season next year. I'm betting that will change stuff for me as well. The ninja is on nearly new rubber...

Do some track days and learn what it really means to lean the bike over..

Once you learn how to really ride the bike, you won't even consider hitting good lean angles on the street. You have to carry too much speed to settle the bike into the corner.

You will also find out what it feels like to corner well, and what your feeling now will be irrelevant. I used to be the same way about my bike. After several track days I stopped thinking about it cause no matter what I was riding or how it handled, it just didn't feel right unless I was at track speed.

Lifer

I find my fat, slow street bike way easier to 'flip' into a corner than my sporty new track toy. I think another difference is the handlebars. My street bike has really wide bars that give you GREAT leverage. The track toy has clip ons that are very close to the steering head. I get waaaay more leverage on the street bike. This leverage lets me use less force from the arms to flip the bike.

They tell you to setup your body before the corner, then initiate the turn with a sharp, intentional counter steer at tip in. I find this much easier when I have more leverage on the bars. You move your arms/hands more, but the movement is easier.

My bikes also have different size (diameter AND width) front tires. I am sure that effects things substantially too.

there's a reason the EX was the goto club racer for 20 years and the FZR was not. You just found it.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    there's a reason the EX was the goto club racer for 20 years and the FZR was not. You just found it.
    Er, what'choo talking 'bout Willis?

The EX was never a goto racer for handling. It was a goto because there was already a glut of them 20 years ago and they were cheap then too.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

How old and worn are the tires? Old, worn (or both) tires are just awful to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by stoinkythepig View Post
    How old and worn are the tires? Old, worn (or both) tires are just awful to ride.
    Not that worn...as I said bike only has 4k on them...But they are 6 years old....

As I said, new tires next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Er, what'choo talking 'bout Willis?

The EX was never a goto racer for handling. It was a goto because there was already a glut of them 20 years ago and they were cheap then too.
    You are wrong. They can easily be made to handle waaaayy better than the noodly frame and geometry would suggest. I used to smoke loads of expert racers on my EX. cheap and plentiful BECAUSE they were successful for a reason.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by lord1234 View Post
    I will admit these tires are stock on the FZ(but with only like 5k miles) and the bike is now 6 years old. Was planning on changing them out pre-season next year. I'm betting that will change stuff for me as well. The ninja is on nearly new rubber...
    i wish my tires lasted 5k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    You are wrong. They can easily be made to handle waaaayy better than the noodly frame and geometry would suggest. I used to smoke loads of expert racers on my EX. cheap and plentiful BECAUSE they were successful for a reason.
    That's more a commentary on your skill than the platform. I've seen the slow-mo footage and resulting frame and suspension mods as part of the effort of one racer to try and wrestle that flexy-flier into a faster machine...

Some bikes are "neutral" handlers that require only a single countersteering input and it will carve the corner with relative ease (as long as the rider doesn't interfere), while other bikes require effort to keep it on line.
    Different bikes can handle and feel different, but cornering technique is more or less the same. Usually, a rider who has solid cornering skills can get on any type of machines and adapt quickly. Sometimes a certain bike can just be a bad match, but as long as tires and other components are in order, then it's more a matter of the rider's ability or willingness to adapt.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    Some bikes are "neutral" handlers that require only a single countersteering input and it will carve the corner with relative ease (as long as the rider doesn't interfere), while other bikes require effort to keep it on line.
    Different bikes can handle and feel different, but cornering technique is more or less the same. Usually, a rider who has solid cornering skills can get on any type of machines and adapt quickly. Sometimes a certain bike can just be a bad match, but as long as tires and other components are in order, then it's more a matter of the rider's ability or willingness to adapt.
    Stop it Ken you make me blush! Lmfao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast