Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Comfortable Motorcycle seat for street riding

Re: Comfortable Motorcycle seat for street riding

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    It totally depends on what you intend to do with your bike. Right tool for the job, and all that.
    Clayton and I are talking V-Stroms anyway... not exactly strangers to the term 'gross'.
    Those pictures were on sport bikes, and I am sticking around here because the seat on my 6r is shit. But I don't need a touring seat. I did fine on my 95 without one. I just need something better than what I have. But vomitting every time I look at my bike isn't worth it to me.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DaveZX6r; 09-01-13 at 03:40 PM.
    "You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

Originally Posted by JalopySiR
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!! This time I was laughing at you. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Ya why not! Pm me contact info ill give him a call this week.
    Sheppo could you shoot it to me two please I'm up in Merrimack a lot visiting friends, and the new seat is first on the list for the 09.

"You don’t need to tell me the horror story about your uncle’s buddy who wiped out his chopper while drag racing at some hooligan rally. That just makes me wish I were talking to your uncle’s buddy instead of you. He sounds pretty cool."

I'll throw my two pennies on the pile. My friend replaced the foam in my SV seat with foam from an airplane seat and reused the cover. It's way better than stock. Not lazy boy sofa comfy like Clayton's seat, but it's easy to ride 400 miles in a day and I can still monkey around when the pace calls for it.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Lifer

Based on what I have read, the shape is more than half the battle. Materials are the easy part. Unfortunately I have no knowledge on what makes a comfortable shaped seat, nor the interest in gaining that knowledge. Hiring a pro, especially one that has done dozens (maybe hundreds) of my model appeals to me.

I wonder if there is someone out there with a good rep for building good sport-bike seats?

My SV seat is good enough that I'm not squirming until 200 or so miles in a day. That was just restuffed with gel/foam.

It still has me yearning for my RDL after a few hours or less every time though.

I rode to PA the long way. Left at 10am or so, got there around 7. Only stop for any length was for lunch. My ears hurt from my earplugs, my shoulders hurt even though I'm in a nearly completely neutral upright riding position, knees were sore from sitting in that position so long, etc.

Got off the bike, turned to my Dad who was also on his first real ride with his own custom RDL, "The only part of me that I can't tell has ridden all day is my ass." He looked at me a bit bewildered and said it was the same with him. Then stared at amazement at the seat. It really is that good, and if it isn't, they will make it right at no extra cost.

Does look a bit goofy on a sport bike....

To put things in perspective, my Corbin's on the Vmax and ZRX are both off the bikes and for sale. And I used to think they were comfortable.

Last edited by TheIglu; 08-26-13 at 06:19 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I don't have a card on me. I'll get Matts info when I get home. He does have a Faceyspace page and does set up at MCN.

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

After I got my coworker into riding, he got an 05 SV and a Corbin seat to go with it. He still cannot ride more than 45 min at a time before having to get off to wake his ass back up. I sat on it myself and it is still hard as a rock.

I got my seat re-foamed here in town at an upholsterer. It took them two visits to get it right, but in the end I only paid $40 for it (charged the first time only, second time was free because "they didn't get it right" according to them) and I can ride around 6-8 hours without my butt falling asleep. My back starts hurting long before my butt does. My coworker sat on my bike and immediately groaned with envy that his $200 seat was a brick compared to mine. Oh and it looks stock too. I love it.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

i had a sargent seat on my 05 fireblade, but it was ok...not worth the money.

but a friend of mine has a factory yamaha gel seat on his FZ8 and that shit is the balls

FWIW, Kenn's Speed Triple gel seat is much firmer than my re-foamed SV seat.

I picked up a slightly-used Corbin for my FZ6 about 2 weeks ago. I went on a 700 mile trip 2-up this weekend. The jury is still out on whether its better than the stock seat. Both our butts were hurting after a while. Corbins are firm, meant to be more supportive than the stock seat. Supposedly they need ~2000 miles to "break in" before they get comfortable, so I dunno if mine is just not broken in yet or what.
    A few of my riding buddies have Sargents on their VFR's and STriples and love them.

Matt from MDM custom upholstery is schedule to be at Motorcycle Night in Lowell tomorrow night. Come to MCN and talk to him in person. He'll have his mobile rig and could even do it there while you wait. He's done that before at MCN.

remember even with the best saddle, you can still get swamp ass if your not wearing the right underwear

I personally haven't had a problem with the SV seat or V-strom seat, SV ergonomics are slightly better for me (short inseam legs with tall torso) than the V-strom, and I haven't had a problem riding 1200-1600 continuous miles on either stock seat, only getting off for gas

I've kinda considered a Russell, it's not at the top of my priority list and I'm afraid I may be even more susceptible to falling asleep on a LD ride

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    Matt from MDM custom upholstery is schedule to be at Motorcycle Night in Lowell tomorrow night. Come to MCN and talk to him in person. He'll have his mobile rig and could even do it there while you wait. He's done that before at MCN.
    tomorrow i cant due to work but maybe in 2 weeks?

Lifer

Randy, your DL1k saddle is supposedly better than the cut down 650 one Clayton and I have. (Well, he had.) Better for short SOBs like me, but worse for everyone comfort wise. I still get tempted to bid on a 2nd hand 1k seat on fleabay or something and try that out. Then I am reminded it is not what I really want and settling.

Although I'm shocked. I thought you had one of these. I thought it was mod 1 or 2 for you. ... Shows what I know.

It really does help to get rid of any seams you might be sitting on.

Lifer

There are no seams. The seat is covered with a single bit of vinyl. The issue with my seat is it is excessively sculpted out in the middle/front. This lets shorter riders get their feet down. But makes it so you are sitting in a playground swing set sideways... after a couple hours that gets old in certain spots. Spots I'd rather not describe.

Almost all of the aftermarket seats raise the saddle to ground height.

Shape is the problem with my saddle. Shops like Russell know this and know it well. I am sure cruisers have entirely different problems. I have no idea what the problem with sport seats are. I always assumed they were too hard and too flat.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    tomorrow i cant due to work but maybe in 2 weeks?
    I think this is his last appearance this year. I can check tomorrow night. I am sure you can arrange to meet him there in 2 weeks if he s available

There are no seams. .
    seams in your underwear

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'm not sure what Randy uses but I've heard great things about http://www.ldcomfort.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppo View Post
    I think this is his last appearance this year. I can check tomorrow night. I am sure you can arrange to meet him there in 2 weeks if he s available
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    I'm not sure what Randy uses but I've heard great things about http://www.ldcomfort.com
    that's exactly what I use

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    After I got my coworker into riding, he got an 05 SV and a Corbin seat to go with it. He still cannot ride more than 45 min at a time before having to get off to wake his ass back up. I sat on it myself and it is still hard as a rock.

I got my seat re-foamed here in town at an upholsterer. It took them two visits to get it right, but in the end I only paid $40 for it (charged the first time only, second time was free because "they didn't get it right" according to them) and I can ride around 6-8 hours without my butt falling asleep. My back starts hurting long before my butt does. My coworker sat on my bike and immediately groaned with envy that his $200 seat was a brick compared to mine. Oh and it looks stock too. I love it.
    Location? I road 2 hrs to get my suspension set up. I have zero problem doing the same for a quality seat.

I may have to check out that underwear two. Without getting too graphic how is it for supporting the little guys? I have a bunch of under armor and other athletic briefs that are great for that but the seams suck after awhile.

Last edited by DaveZX6r; 09-01-13 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZX6r View Post

I may have to check out that underwear two. Without getting too graphic how is it for supporting the little guys? I have a bunch of under armor and other athletic briefs that are great for that but the seams suck after awhile.
    think bicycle shorts without the gel pad

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Randy, your DL1k saddle is supposedly better than the cut down 650 one Clayton and I have. (Well, he had.) Better for short SOBs like me, but worse for everyone comfort wise. I still get tempted to bid on a 2nd hand 1k seat on fleabay or something and try that out. Then I am reminded it is not what I really want and settling.

Although I'm shocked. I thought you had one of these. I thought it was mod 1 or 2 for you. ... Shows what I know.
    I got a 1k seat right before Deal's last year and I was damn glad I did. What a difference from the asshole stock 650 seat.

Plus, then you'll have a spare seat when you eventually send yours out to Russell to get made.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

You should have had the 650 saddle recovered and sold the 1k to me. Knowing you, you got it for a helluva price.

Early DL1000 seats (ie '02-03) are different, aren't they?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast