Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Got myself a big comfy couch

Got myself a big comfy couch

Picked up a 2004 road king this week. Found it down in NJ, it was the best deal I could find within several hundred miles. Looked at a few under 10k at an HD dealership but their bikes weren't impressive. I figured the body shop would at least polish the paint but they looked like they got cleaned up with some quick detailer and stuck on the showroom floor. I was a bit hesitant to drive 150 miles but a used harley isn't exactly hard to find, so worst case scenario I waste a tank of gas. I get down there and the bike is pretty close to perfect for a 16 year old bike. The entire package included the painted hard bags, brand new leather wrapped hard bags, tour pack, vance and hines pipes in the package, windshield and back rest. Seller was a great guy and helped me load it onto the trailer and get it set up to make the trip home.

Not really sure what kind of plans I have, if any. It's got the stock exhaust on it which I like the sound of, but I don't think running that with a tune and upgrades will make much sense. Need to do some research into stage I and II kits. Probably will replace the cam tensioners with gear driven cams when the budget allows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got myself a big comfy couch-img_20200514_112411-jpg   Got myself a big comfy couch-img_20200514_112427-jpg  

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Got myself a big comfy couch

Nice classic. Welcome to the rolling sofa association. We have t shirts. Working on dong patches.

Love that 2 tone paint. My father had a 89 electra sport in the same paint. Always dug it.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Nice classic. Welcome to the rolling sofa association. We have t shirts. Working on dong patches.

Love that 2 tone paint. My father had a 89 electra sport in the same paint. Always dug it.
    Any word on the vests?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

I was gonna get one of those really funny shirts about my significant other falling off the back. Those are still cool right?

THAT was what was making your pants tight??!

Welcome to the dark side. You'll slowly figure out what you want to do to it once you get to riding it. You'll slowly add a couple things here, then a little something over there, then a couple things there.

Nice grab. I dig the paint, and the hardbags are the ONLY way to go.

2004 is the TC88, yes?

A friend has about the same vintage and hasn't taken his quick-release windscreen off since he put it on a few years ago. Swears by it.

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Yeah twin cam 88. I knew it was going to be a drastic chance from sport bikes but I was pretty pleased with it on the highway yesterday. Cruise control is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Yeah twin cam 88. I knew it was going to be a drastic chance from sport bikes but I was pretty pleased with it on the highway yesterday. Cruise control is awesome.
    These things are a hoot. I'm still blown away. Cruise control IS a nice touch. I'm also still in awe of my radio, Bluetooth connectivity (streaming music), navigation and all that shit. As easy to use as any cage I've seen, better than some really.

Once you get used to it, you're gonna be surprised how easy it is to ride them at a better-than-average clip too.

Lifer

My RK is great for my road rage. It is as happy at 90 as it is at 30. First bike I've ever had that rides this way. No fucks given.
    The only thing it doesn't do is dirt. Like, at all. Gravel bouncing off the chrome crap just makes your skin crawl, even if you don't like chrome.
    For this reason I need an ADV toy back in the garage next to it.

But other than that I just love my rolling couch.

One of these days I'd like to link up with a "spirited" ride. I am pretty confident the RK does well enough for it. At least at the pace I am comfortable doing on public roads.

My RK is great for my road rage. It is as happy at 90 as it is at 30. First bike I've ever had that rides this way. No fucks given.
    The only thing it doesn't do is dirt. Like, at all. Gravel bouncing off the chrome crap just makes your skin crawl, even if you don't like chrome.
    For this reason I need an ADV toy back in the garage next to it.

But other than that I just love my rolling couch.

One of these days I'd like to link up with a "spirited" ride. I am pretty confident the RK does well enough for it. At least at the pace I am comfortable doing on public roads.
    Yup, that about sums up my Street Glide too. 30, 50, 90? Doesn't seem to give a fuck where on the dial you are. It just pulls & goes & pulls.

Dirt roads are unavoidable for me. Besides living on one, a handful of friends live on them as well. And sometimes it's just quicker & easier to use them to get places around here.

I didn't really think of spirited rides when I bought it. In fact, my plan for the future was the exact opposite. Besides my physical limitations, I wanted something I wouldn't be tempted notch up. Man, was I wrong. Not like I'm winning any holeshots, but I don't think I'll get over how easy it is to ride at reasonable (to me) speeds above what's posted. Still haven't really scraped anything, but that was never really my intention.

I read some stuff about bagger wobble. I have a 15 mile highway ride and didn't experience that the other day.

The first few items I want sorted are the progressive touring link and then figure out a plan for front and rear suspension. The cam chain tensioners will also need to be addressed. Looking at gear driven cams but I have some research to do on the end of things.

I suspect after a while I'll miss sport riding but packing two meals and two changes of clothes for work and having it not in a backpack was sweet.

Lifer

Yes. I love the luggage too. Part of why I held out for a '14. The bags are stupid usable. Flip lid open, drop shit in, slam lid, go. Up there with the tupperwear on the gold wing.

I haven't tried this yet. But I used to be able to fit a 1-gal paint cans in the little tea-cup bags I had on the v-strom for a while. Pretty sure I could fit enough to paint a room or two in this barge.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I read some stuff about bagger wobble. I have a 15 mile highway ride and didn't experience that the other day.

The first few items I want sorted are the progressive touring link and then figure out a plan for front and rear suspension. The cam chain tensioners will also need to be addressed. Looking at gear driven cams but I have some research to do on the end of things.

I suspect after a while I'll miss sport riding but packing two meals and two changes of clothes for work and having it not in a backpack was sweet.
    One of the reasons I got rid of the Low Rider and went with the Street Glide. Saddlebags in my opinion look silly on the Low Rider, thus it was a backpack for me. Hated it.

As for "the bagger wobble" - I think that pertains more to the batwing on Street Glides and Ultras. However, in over 1200 miles so far this year I've yet to experience that. I took it up to 110 this weekend to actually see if I could feel it. It was only literally for a few minutes, but I didn't feel it. Although from what I've read, the batwing was redesigned just about my year (2017), maybe a year or two before.

But without that on yours, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Lifer

What is this wobble?! Head-shake?
    I have yet to experience that at all. I have an aftermarket bat-wing on for most of my riding.

The "bagger wobble"was for the most part sorted out with the updated frame in 2009 and further so with the Rushmore in 2016. I honestly never experienced it with my '04 Roadglide or '07 Electra, only thing that ever gave me wobble/headshake was a worn and unbalanced front tire. I could throw the cruise on at 75mph let go of the bars and streer with body weight alone if I really wanted to, mine were always very solid and tracked well.

TTD’s latest email this afternoon says there’s still a bunch of space available at the non-sportbike track day next Monday 5/25...