Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Computer controlled clutches

Computer controlled clutches

Are computer controlled clutches and gear shifts the future of motorcycles and racing?

The new VFR is a dual clutch, essentially the computer controls the shifting based on the riding and matches the engine speed/revs. It is said to "lear the riding style" and the bike will shift and behave differently based on circumstances. I have a friend who rode one and said it is incredible, matching revs on multiple hard downshifts etc. It is not an automatic by any stretch.

Is this the future? Will all we have to do in a few years is throttle control and the bike will handle the shifting and traction control?

I drove the M3 with the DCT and its incredible, it is said it can shift gears many times faster than the best racers with a clutch.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Re: Computer controlled clutches

I think it is, for sure. I don't think it's going to arrive on bikes as quickly (or in the same number) as in cars, but it will.

Having driven a car with the Audi/VW DSG system in, I know I'll never be able to shift that fast or cleanly. It really is amazing driving twin clutch cars. The downshifts are especially great.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think twin clutch is going to become very common in high end cars before it does with bikes. The system wa sdeveloped by vw for the bugatti veyron. As for bikes, I think it will be a sport/touring thing at first but will take 5 years to trickle down to sportbikes. The added weight of the dual clutch and tranny will be a drawback in small sportbikes.

Last edited by Degsy; 10-12-10 at 07:52 AM.

Posting Freak

I'd love to have it on a BMW sport tourer!! For now, I've become the master of quick shifts on my tourer (when I'm flying....) Mary doesn't even know I'm shifting...but...sometimes I get tired or lazy, and things aren't so smooth!

Hmmm... Ken C rode the VFR and said it WAS essentially an automatic with all the same emasculating results for rider and motor.

Paul_E_D

Jason Pridmore said it took him a couple years practicing shifting on the street to get it down. Heard his passengers don't even notice a single shift with him. Haven't heard that about the VFR12. supposedly its good but still noticeable.

Posting Freak

When I rode "bitch" with JP on the BMW many years ago at NHIS, the only way I could tell he had shifted was to look over his shoulder at the shift indicator on the dash. My shifting hero