Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Congressman charged with manslaughter!

In bikers death... Holy shit, never thought they would charge him!!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/....ap/index.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

holly shit

GOOD....Fry the basterd....75 through a fukkn stopsign. and it's not his first time being in trouble for speeding. You gotta be seriously fucking up to get a ticket as a congressman.

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

"charged" is one thing... convicted is a whole 'nother thing altogether...

still: glad to see that he didn't just walk away w/ a nod and a wink

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

"charged" is one thing... convicted is a whole 'nother thing altogether...
    Exactly.

Moving at 70-75MPH in a 55 MPH zone, we have all done that before. No idea why he ran the stop sign, maybe he was very tired. I am surprised they charged him with a Felony. Inadvertently running a stop-sign = 10-year prison sentence?

I don't care for Congressmen, they make big $$$ to speak bullshit, and some of them are corrupt. But, in this case, a felony is a bit harsh.

In a related case:

A motorcyclist was killed at the end of my street last year in a similar type incident. The driver of the car was charged with motor-vehicular homicide I believe.

14" Biceps. So what if I am weak...

Vehicular homicide in many states only applies when there are drugs or alcohol involved which is why he wasn't charged with that specifically. Also something to consider as to why this is a felony charge is that it was 75 in a 50 I believe (not to say that I haven't done that either, hell I've done greater than 160 in a 50 *cough*) BUT he says he was "avoiding someone stopped in his lane" presumably someone stopped at the stop sign, so presumably he was passing someone stopped at a stop sign, going 75 in a 50, and he killed someone. That in my book is manslaugher 2 (unintentional killing), and he deserves to serve some time for it. If I ran a stop sign, while passing someone legitimately stopped at it, and as a result someone died, I do believe I would feel that *I* deserved to serve some time for it.

Cheers,
    Chris

*edit* the article does say it was a 55 mph zone, so its "at least 71 mph in a 55"

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Originally posted by hohum
    *edit* the article does say it was a 55 mph zone, so its "at least 71 mph in a 55"

Holy shit, a stop sign in a 55 zone??? What the fuck are these people thinking? I mean shit at least post a 35 with in 500' of the sign.... Who ever made the decision to make it a 55 coming to a stop should also fry....

Chris we all have gone over the alotted speed, but only once did I run a stop, and it was unintentional, over a week-end a stop sign was put up on my old street from friday when I went to visit family, to tuesday when I went to pick up my dog BTW I lived on that street for 24 yrs