Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Considering Buying Used Honda Superhawk

This afternoon I took a different running loop, and happened upon a 1998 Honda SuperHawk for sale. It has about 15,000 miles on it, and appears to be in decent shape. The For Sale sign said the guy was asking $4500 or best offer.

This appears to me to be a pretty decent deal. For quite some time now I've been lusting after that throaty V-Twin bark, and it looks like this bike would make a great upgrade from my current ride, a 1992 Yamaha TDM850.

However, I'm wondering what one of these bikes is actually like in a long-term relationship.

I've noticed a few other NESR members ride this model. Are the ergo's comfortable enough for a full day of riding? I enjoy taking an occasional 400-500 mile blast up thru Route 100 in Vermont, as well as riding into work on a daily (weather permitting) basis. Will my 4o-something year-old wrists, elbows, and back be screaming for mercy after an hour or two?

Also, are there any particular problem areas common to these bikes that I should keep an eye out for? I'm planning on heading back there tomorrow to take a closer look at the bike, and would appreciate any input on what I should look for (other than the obvious, such as chain/sprockets, brake pads, worn rotors, leaky seals, etc).

Thanks!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Alright, I think I can help you out here. I'll try to address all of your questions in order. Let's see...

1: Ergos. Well, I find the bike pretty comfortable. The bars have enough rise but I don't particularly care for the angle they come back at. Most people don't complain of this...so it could just be me. I don't notice it as much as I used to. Another thing is that there are more vibrations transmitted through the bars than with some other bikes. Doesn't really bother me too much, but other guys I know put gel grips on and like them. Heli bars are somewhat popular as well. The stock seat is a bit hard, the Sargent seat is a nice upgrade. Just a couple of weeks ago I logged a 445 mile day up in VT and wasn't too sore at the end of the day.

2: Problems. I suggest you go to the VTR Registry (do a google search I'm at work right now and don't have the address handy). Also, go to Greg Nemish's VTR site (another google search I'm afraid). Not too many problems and many people have put quite a few miles on these bikes. To me, the soft front suspension and spongy brakes needed fixing right from the showroom floor. Race Tech springs, gold valves as well as a SS braided front brake line and better pads are a requisite as far as I'm concerned. These mods are quite popular so you might want to look into that.

Overall, it's a great bike. I love the torque that this bike offers. After riding 600s for years I love not having to shift constantly and rev the pee pee out of my bike all the time to keep it in the sweet spot. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

There was a recall on the 98's. If I remember, it was something about replacing the rubber intake boots with sturdier ones...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I can't believe I forgot to mention this. The biggest problem/PITA is definitely the fuel range. You'll be on a first name basis with every gas station attendant around. Figure on fill ups every 125 miles or so.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

Originally posted by 02SuperHawkRdr
    IFigure on fill ups every 125 miles or so.
    Heh, on a good day! I had the fuel light go on in as little as 75 miles when I had mine. The furthest I pushed my luck was 130 miles. 100 miles seemed to be the norm for me...

But this isn't uncommon for a big V-twin. My TL-R is looking for fuel every 125 miles or so too. But I've also had the fuel light on that lighting up in as little as 50 miles!

Not for not - and keeping in mind I have a knack at getting deals - in the heart of summer 2000, I bought a '98 Superhawk with 5000 miles, Two Brothers cans, Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen, and a Scotts steering damper for $5000...

Start bidding LOW, they don't have a strong private resale demand...

Not much protection from the elements either, due to the compactness of the upper 'fairing'. On highway blasts (sometimes necessary for work), I felt like I was constantly fighting with the thing to keep it in my lane. Always felt like I was getting tossed around on it...

Also, under hard cornering, I found it felt.....er....um.....WIERD. Kinda felt like it....hmmmm.....'wallowed' through the corners. Didn't inspire much confidence from where I was sitting...

I found the ergos to be decent enough. Good enough anway for 300 mile 2-up trips with the Mrs...

Oil changes and the such were a snap thanks to the lack of lowers. And typical Honda build quality are a coupla other good points that come to mind...

RSVMILLE661

Also, under hard cornering, I found it felt.....er....um.....WIERD. Kinda felt like it....hmmmm.....'wallowed' through the corners. Didn't inspire much confidence from where I was sitting...
    I totally agree. I had a 99 superchicken. 2 bros full system and factory stage2 with K&N.

It was an ok bike but the chassis was very un-nerving and didn't inspire much confidence. The best thing that helped was putting michelin pilots on it.

The gas mileage was horrific avg. 100 miles / tank if I didn't really get into the throttle.

Due to the carb set up and pipes it did spit twin foot long blue flames out of each can on down shifts. Used to really impress people at night.

...pee pee...
    You said 'pee pee'...

Did you guys ever do anything about the terrible OEM suspension? The fork springs felt like they could have been taken out of a ballpoint pen. Race Tech treatment to the front end, springs and 'gold' valves (maybe $250) does wonders. Some also complain about the stiff rear shock, but I find that it is fine for me (I weigh 198lb without gear on...a little more than the weight that most bikes are set up for).

Yes 125 miles may have been on a good day. I usually try to hit a gas station as soon as I see 100 miles approaching. The low fuel warning does seem to come on a bit prematurely though. The reserve IIRC is .7 gallons which should only equate to 20+ miles. I've definitely done more than that. The mileage is especially hard to deal with after routinely getting over 50mpg in my YZF600R, which combined with its 5 gal tank sometimes netted me 270 miles between fillups.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

Did you guys ever do anything about the terrible OEM suspension? The fork springs felt like they could have been taken out of a ballpoint pen. Race Tech treatment to the front end, springs and 'gold' valves (maybe $250) does wonders. Some also complain about the stiff rear shock, but I find that it is fine for me (I weigh 198lb without gear on...a little more than the weight that most bikes are set up for).
    It has more to do with the 'flex' frame than the suspension...

Yes 125 miles may have been on a good day. I usually try to hit a gas station as soon as I see 100 miles approaching.
    That's about when I'd start looking...

I'm aware of the 'tuned-flex' frame. The OEM spring rate is something like .58kg/mm. My front fork actually bottomed out quite a bit (no compression adjustment on the forks either). That was scary. Also brake dive was downright horrible. I now have .85kg/mm springs (still supposedly softer than the .9 that racetech recommended for me...but this is a streetbike not a racebike) and the difference is huge.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

Thanks for the useful info. The crappy gas mileage is definitely an eye-opener, as I was hoping to do some sport touring with it, and don't like the idea of gassing up every 1.5 hours.

Then again, with the somewhat cramped ergos I might welcome the frequent gas stops.

I went back tonight and did a thorough inspection of the bike (nobody was around). It has Michelin Pilot Sports, which are supposedly "new". Although the back tire is in good shape, the front has some weird cupping going on, and it appears that some center sections have severe wearing (or maybe this is how the tire comes new? ... doubtful).

Furthermore, it looked like the bike had taken a very minor low-side on the left. Small scratches on the upper fairing, the clutch lever was bent similar to every used dirt bike I see, and the circular engine cover was scratched.

Worst of all, the left Leo Vinci carbon fiber slip-on seemed to have what I can only describe as a "crush-line", right where the mounting bracket goes around the can. The carbon fiber appeared to be cracked and pushed in, creating an opening about 2" long by about 1/16" wide, running around the circumference of the shell.

I'm not sure if this means there's an exhaust leak, as I couldn't start the bike. Hopefuly it's just a cosmetic thing, but it does look funky.

Anyhow... I think I'll give the guy a call, and seeing how bad he's looking to get rid of it. I figure that if I could snag it for less than $4K I'd be doing OK.

It's a buyer's market so you should be able to negotiate a pretty good price. FYI: you could probably get a new one for WAY less than MSRP and get 6.9% financing for 60 mos. Just my $.02.

Jason LaCroix
    '02 Honda VTR1000F
    IBA #19722

It's a buyer's market so you should be able to negotiate a pretty good price. FYI: you could probably get a new one for WAY less than MSRP and get 6.9% financing for 60 mos. Just my $.02.
    Not to mention there's a TON of leftovers out there sitting in stealership's basements. If that's the route, poke around for some webistes. www.naults.com comes to mind...

If you make an offer on the used one you checked out, LOWBALL him bigtime. Point out the damages and what'd cost to replace/repair it. Explain to him that you're well aware of those costs too. I'd toss $3000 at him. He'd be lucky to get that towards a trade in the condition you're describing...