Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Continental TKC-80

Continental TKC-80

Conti just released this tire in a 120/70 and 180/55 - 17. Multistrada riders have been waiting for this. (Sure wish they had this last year when I did the TransLab!)

So, who has run these on their 1200's or other adventure bikes? What kind of mileage do you get. The only reason I'd consider these now is if they get better mileage than what I'm getting on the variety of Sport Tour tires I've tried...about 5k.

I suspect the mileage on these would be about the same or less...?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Re: Continental TKC-80

I've ran TKCs on my V-Strom, figure 4000-6000 miles on the back, 7500-10k up front. that said, I personally prefer Metzler Karoo Ts /Karoo II, not the Karoo MCE, they only last 1000-1500 miles

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Dave,

After last years trip I left mine on for another 1000 miles on the rear before I needed to replace the rear. The front was fine. Randys numbers above are pretty accurate.

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

Thanks guys! The two I most hoped to hear from!

It doesn't look like they'd be any better than the Sport Tours I've tested so far unless I plan to do some regular off road/dirt. BTW - so far, the Dunlop Road Smarts have been best...about 6500 miles on the rear. Running the new Michelin Pilot Road 3s now. We'll see!!! Also, I have always about 2x possible life on the fronts but have always replaced in pairs. No more! gonna see if I can run 2 rears to 1 front...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Dave have you tried the Pirelli Angel ST's? From what I have heard they are in the same category as the Pilot Road 3's. My friend is running them on his K1200s and said they are the best tire in terms of wear he has used yet.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Yep....they're fine...but still only about 5500 miles on the rear. And, really, I've never tried a sport tour tire that didn't provide enough performance for my type of street riding. (Conservative...) So, really, its about trying to up the mileage for me!!!

Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Yep....they're fine...but still only about 5500 miles on the rear. And, really, I've never tried a sport tour tire that didn't provide enough performance for my type of street riding. (Conservative...) So, really, its about trying to up the mileage for me!!!
    Good to know. What kind of pressures do you run?

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Some people get a lot less mileage on the TKC 80 rears.

I'm about to take a trip with Conti Road Attack 2's, but don't expect the rear to last more than 5-6,000 miles. The V-Strom isn't powerful enough to rip them up but I'm heavy and have aluminum bags and junk all the time so the rear takes a beating.

WBW review

Last edited by Garandman; 04-22-12 at 08:07 AM.

Lifer

Never used'em, but I hear really good things about them. I hear they handle semi-agressive road use just fine. Not what I would expect given the blocky pattern.

I also hear they can be a little loud on the highway. That's a deal breaker for me with my 98% street riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    And, really, I've never tried a sport tour tire that didn't provide enough performance for my type of street riding. (Conservative...)
    Interesting.. Given this I should expect the Road 3's I'm about to lever on will last me nearly forever!

I am about to pass 11k on the factory Trailwings on my wee little 650. Given that's a 650 with my relatively mild riding. Both front and rear are completely done. The front shows uneven wear and the rear is squared off badly. Given I commute on the bike a lot, that isn't surprising.

Way better than the way my old Bandit used to chew through rears.

Last edited by nhbubba; 04-22-12 at 10:23 AM.

No one has the sport bike-sized TKCs yet because they just came out, but the 150/70-17 used on the back of the R1200GS, V-Strom, Tiger 800, and assorted other ADV bikes will typically return around 5000 miles. The 110/80-19 front will do a little better. No idea how the 120/180 TKCs would do; I wouldn't be surprised if Conti used a slightly softer rubber compound for stickier on-road performance, yielding shorter tread life.

FWIW -- if you do run TKCs on the Multi, be ready for some initially funky road feel. They turn in very easily and tend to generate a kind of tippy feeling.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Im interested to see how these handle sporty road riding. They might be the ideal tire to turn my SXV550 into a "dual sport" while retaining the stock tire sizes. it will never be a KTM off road, but might give me a little more confidence on gravel roads.

YMMV, but I didn't get anywhere near 5k out of the last TKC-80 rear I put on my 1150GS. I think it's closer to 3k and definitely more than 50% done; I am running tubes, which is certainly a factor, but I've gotten much, much better tread life out of both the Anakee and the Tourance (neither of which will work as well as a true sport-touring tire on tarmac, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    YMMV, but I didn't get anywhere near 5k out of the last TKC-80 rear I put on my 1150GS. I think it's closer to 3k and definitely more than 50% done; I am running tubes, which is certainly a factor, but I've gotten much, much better tread life out of both the Anakee and the Tourance (neither of which will work as well as a true sport-touring tire on tarmac, of course).
    The TKC certainly won't get anywhere near Anakee or Tourance life, but it's also much knobbier.

FWIW, when I say about 5000 miles, I mean that at that point it's down to being almost bald. You're right, by 3000 miles it's more than half spent, and fairly useless on dirt.

I used a 140/80-18 TKC-80 on my XR650L the first time I rode the Trans-Lab, and it was done by the end of the trip, about 3500 miles. As in, starting to wear the carcass in between the middle knobs. But the 150's not THAT bad.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021