Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Convince me not to get an mt03

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Re: Convince me not to get an mt03

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    ... I did think of Enfield's but only briefly. I didn't realize a dealer was that close to me however. I'm gonna go check them out. Thanks.
    Well, check 'em out to see if they appeal. It looks like there is good inventory now. The dealer in Boxborough (Alpha Cars) is showing some markdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2124020448675/
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6020203194171/

These are slightly used z650. Given they are getting minor updates for 2023 you maybe able to deal on 2022 models
    ^^ These would pass for new for sure [thumbsup]

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by OneCheekRider View Post
    I went +5 in the rear on my WR250R and take it on the hwy, usually about 75mph. I'm 40 min from technical twisties and 100 miles from the boarder for extended dual sport trips. with this setup it maxes out at approx 86mph GPS. Oil analysis comes back great every time. I would imagine a stock MT03 is significantly better and aside from high speed runs, can run on the hwy no problem indefinitely.

With that said, have you checked out CSC Motorcycles? Most people are turned off to Chinese bikes and while I have no experience, they do seem fairly decent for the price: https://cscmotorcycles.com/rz3s-haylon-400/

I'm like the king of Chinese motorcycles. I love them. I built one to do the mongol rally in Europe about 5 years ago and my current dirty bike is a tough as a Honda X-pro 250. I am realistic about them. Both of those bikes needed far more work to get in a good state and both were nightmares to get parts for. Quick model updates make sure yours will be obsolete in a couple years time with no chance of getting whatever part you need at all.
    Imo those csc bikes are priced way too high. They may be great bikes but at those prices I would spend a few hundred more and get any of the big four. Think Hyosung as an example. Decent bikes but pretty much non existent now. If that bike was in the 2k range it would tempt me but at 4k it just doesn't make sense to anyone unless you can't figure out a way to get an extra 500 bucks to buy a better bike. Resale value in 2 years time will.be about zero.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    Well, check 'em out to see if they appeal. It looks like there is good inventory now. The dealer in Boxborough (Alpha Cars) is showing some markdowns.

^^ These would pass for new for sure [thumbsup]
    Damn those are some good discounts on the Enfield's. I saw a 350 last month at Lars Anderson and it looked pretty good. Guy was riding two up too so it's capable of it. Even the 650 has a few good deals.

Imo those csc bikes are priced way too high. They may be great bikes but at those prices I would spend a few hundred more and get any of the big four.
    I agree, but at least it's a no-BS transaction. Not sure about your area, but around here you can expect to add at least another grand, most times much more in admin fees or markup (unless that's changing these days?). I doubt resale would be zero, at least not the ones I've seen for sale around here but I get it. I do think they did a good job adding a 5+ gallon tank on a small CC machine for ultimate commuting or doing a quick 200+ mile ride without refueling.

Lifer

I am seriously considering the royal Enfield meteor 350 or classic 350 mainly due to price and ease of use for everyone. I feel they are akin to ujm bikes of yester year so everyone should be able to ride them. I would have to forget about highway riding with either though and that's really the only thing holding me back. The classic is probably the more practical of the two even though I think the meteor is better overall. The meteor has a retched heel toe shifter that will screw every one and it only comes with forward controls which will also be an issue for some people, myself included.
    Otd price for either is just above 4k.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

It will seat comfortably at 60 mph in 5th gear, supposedly can go faster in 4th gear. Looks very cool. Honestly, my stage 1 modified CRF250L/m does fine on the highway and can cruise all day at 65-70 comfortably. I think it is just resetting expectations.

Last edited by dankatz; 10-21-22 at 08:04 PM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Yeah, my old Chinese Mongolian rally bike was faster in 4th initially. It just didn't have the power to use 5th completely. A regear and big bore kit fixed that.
    Supposedly the 350 Enfields are electronically limited to 70 with no way to eliminate it. There is a fair amount of easy upgrades that can be done to make it hit 70 with relative ease and at a lower rpm.
    I'm sure it would be ok for a few exits on the highway but 2 hours would probably kill it. I was forever burning up pistons with the rally bike by sitting on the highway absolutely wide open for an hour at a time. it would just bounce off the rev limiter forever.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    ^^ Good idea.

Here's another idea, I think it's good -- consider a Royal Enfield 650. Yeah, I know this is NESR where 99.9999% of the time the latest gee-whiz-bang-electronic-laden bike is most desired. The RE is simple and easy DIY maintenance -- that's right! you DO NOT have to remove the cams to adjust the valves -- imagine that.

IMO, these bikes look great and sound *really* great. They have been out a few years and any bugs worked out AFAIK.

You're not far from Mark's Motorsports in Enfield CT, maybe check 'em out?

I was finally able to get to Marks when they were actually open. I waisted several trips only to find them closed or had left early. Turns out Mom's just bought them last week and I was going when the old owner had given up and just did what he wanted.
    Anyway, I got to check out the RE line up. Meteor 350 is out of the running due to stupid forward controls and an intrusive heel toe shifter. The classic 350 seems more like something I could go for. Seat is terrible but that's about it. The Scram 411 is pretty slick. Shame I can't test drive any.
    Now that Mom's has bought them the first thing they did was jack up the prices. Prep and doc fees are now a whopping 25% addition to the price of the bike. Good lord. Some bikes are MSRP but some are much, much more too. They were really pressuring me to buy now and how rare they are etc.. once I made clear I'm not buying today (100% due to the price and fees but I didn't tell them that) the manager literally just stopped mid conversation with me and turned around and walked away lol. Zero interest in me after that.
    I'm going to check out alpha next time I get around that way. Much cheaper and a better selection. Still wish I could test drive one though.

I've pretty much given up on the mt03. None are due in until at least December and that's not certain.

I've pretty much given up on the mt03. None are due in until at least December and that's not certain.
    Isn't it winter over there? What's the rush to get a bike? I'd think you could negotiate a deal to order an MT03, but I also haven't bought a new bike since '06.

Also, I believe you said you want brand new but maybe there's a like-new used one floating around that someone doesn't want to store over the winter?

Marks was operating by appointment only, I'm not sure for how long though. I stopped in for parts for my bonneville earlier this year. They were working in the place, but with the doors locked. Their garage and mechanics were outside. Showroom doors locked. Pretty irritating.

Lifer

No real rush to get a bike anymore but there are some pretty good deals going on now. Used bikes here can be more than new.

I'm not keen on ordering a bike until I see one in person which is the hard part. Nearest one to me is 200 miles away and not in the color I would want. Several of the dealers I spoke to near me said they can't order an mt03, they are just allocated one or two every now and then seemingly at random. Most don't want them, they don't sell well. If your looking for an mt03 the first words out of a dealers mouth is "have you looked at an mt07?"

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Marks was operating by appointment only, I'm not sure for how long though. I stopped in for parts for my bonneville earlier this year. They were working in the place, but with the doors locked. Their garage and mechanics were outside. Showroom doors locked. Pretty irritating.
    Yeah, the new manager said the old owner drove the place into the ground running it like that so they got it at a rock bottom price. He said the biggest hurdle they have now is getting people back in. They have a good inventory but a bad rep now. When I was there a guy was waiting outside and calling in to see if he could book an appointment for later in the day. They told him to just walk in. They get that alot.

I'm going to check out alpha next time I get around that way. Much cheaper and a better selection. Still wish I could test drive one though.
    I've heard from friends that Alpha Boxborough allows "test rides" around their property -- worth checking before you go. I've been in there a couple of times to look at the REs and Urals, have talked with the MC salesman Darrell, and another time the owner Dmitri showed me around.

PS -- note that back in the summer Alpha had bumped their prices up. Back to normal now, with discounts on some.

Last week I was ready to buy a RE 650 Interceptor but it looks like a new (used) car is gonna happen instead. Anyway, some of the RE 650s at Alpha are reduced now by $800 which more than covers the $700 freight and setup, resulting in $5900 OTD. AFAIK, they do not charge the dreaded "documentation fee." [EDIT -- wrong -- $595 doc fee ] Might be a bigger bike than you have in mind, but comparing specs on line, it looks like the 650 doesn't weigh a whole lot more than the singles.

Anyway, last week I rode a friend's RE for a couple of hours (2019 Continental GT with ca. 2K miles). Some impressions as posted to another forum --

I found it a very pleasant and easy bike to ride. I think if I owned one I'd ride it pretty briskly and basically wring out the mildly tuned, over-engineered motor. The bike felt very stable and predictable, tracked well, suspension felt firm but comfortable. The thin-ish seat was comfortable, too, and there's a "touring" seat available, thicker I assume. (Comfort is important for this octogenarian.) Clutch and shifting are so smooth and positive that I was hardly aware that I was shifting. To me, fit and finish are quite good. It's a "basic" bike by today's standards, which suits me fine. And it looks good, does not look like an angry bird of prey. Sounds great, too, very nice exhaust note with the standard cans.

And "3 year unlimited mile warranty & road side assistance with the purchase of any Twins model" per royalenfield.com

Last edited by whynot; 11-18-22 at 04:09 PM.

Lifer

Alpha is currently charging $595 for doc fee, $450 for destination fee and $245 for a set up fee. That's a lot. Still cheaper than Marks.

Alpha is currently charging $595 for doc fee, $450 for destination fee and $245 for a set up fee. That's a lot. Still cheaper than Marks.
    $595 -- Damn that's horrible for a documentation fee. My bad, did not see it buried in the fine, light grey print.

Last edited by whynot; 11-18-22 at 04:10 PM.

Mom's in Enfield (the old Enfield motorsports) has two according to cycle trader. I'm assuming their prices mirror any other location in that franchise though.

Lifer

It does. I already checked. Final Pricing can't be determined there until you sit down with them and start the paperwork. Its like a percentage of the bike cost and the prep fee varies as well.

Lifer

Good thing I didn't buy a royal Enfield last week. Marks just dropped prices by nearly 20% on the 2022 models of which they have loads of. Has me thinking about a Himalayan now since they don't have the classic in the colors I want.

Lifer

foolish me, I was lured back to Marks with the newly added discounts. Believe it or not but the bikes are actually more expensive now. They just added more to the paperwork fees which are now nearly a whopping 50% added to the price. talk about messing with the numbers. The OTD price has risen almost $300 from just last week and thats with a supposed $600 discount now.
    Im dealing with Royal Enfield of Albany now. Straight shooters. Everything is listed exactly on there site plus they dont charge document fees. They will even store it until April for free. Its close to my other house so its not even that much of a bother to drive out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12