Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Convince me not to get an mt03

Lifer

Convince me not to get an mt03

I'm looking to get a spare bike for my NY house so I have something to lend out\ride when I am up there. This will be bike Numero 8 for me and it will taking some effort to get the wife to see the logic in it. Most likely I will need to sell the nsr to justify it to her but that's another game I will play.
    Anyway, I need something smaller cc so anyone can borrow it and something brandy new so the wife will stop calling me Mr. Sanford. I'm trying to stay under 6k.
    I really wanted to get a svartpilen 401 but no dealers nearby and no inventory kinda killed that plus the 2 gallon gas tank is a problem anyway. Almost the same situation for a ktm 390.
    The mt03 interests me the most out of the bikes I've looked at other than the 401. My only real concern about it is using it on the highway. Reviews say it's revving really high just keeping up with traffic. I do trips from time to time that involve 2 hours on the highway each direction and I don't want to kill the little bike.

I also considered a turbo hayabusa already but that seems a touch excessive. Maybe a normal Hayabusa is more appropriate.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Convince me not to get an mt03

If you are doing regular 2 hour highway trips, this (or any other small bike) does not sound like the right tool.

I think $6k is an adequate budget to get a good used bike for that. Here’s a nice Multistrada SDS for a soft $4k in SC.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1222...ibextid=92tYVz

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Be a man.

Buy a 1200xe

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

It has to be a new bike unfortunately. The wife is really clamping down on it.
    I wouldn't say regular two hours trips. Maybe once a month or less. Still trips none the less. All masspike between the houses.

I did a ton of 2 hour highway commuting on my old EX500 and never felt like it was struggling with traffic. I think the CB500F and the Z400 are both closer in hp to the EX500 (45-50ish) but still plenty un-intimidating for anyone.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    It has to be a new bike unfortunately. The wife is really clamping down on it.
    I wouldn't say regular two hours trips. Maybe once a month or less. Still trips none the less. All masspike between the houses.
    There’s a hell of a lot of good roads between the Catskills and Worcester. Maybe buy it and don’t take the highway?

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    There’s a hell of a lot of good roads between the Catskills and Worcester. Maybe buy it and don’t take the highway?
    The highway trips would mostly be a time saving thing. That's why they wouldn't be too often.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    I did a ton of 2 hour highway commuting on my old EX500 and never felt like it was struggling with traffic. I think the CB500F and the Z400 are both closer in hp to the EX500 (45-50ish) but still plenty un-intimidating for anyone.
    I loved my ex500. Most perfect basic bike I think. If they sold them new I would be all over it. None of the current 500 bikes really strike me as all that great.
    The z400 is on my list though. I think it would be a good choice. I keep thinking about that sharp mt03 though. Oddly I ruled out the r3 almost instantly even though they are nearly the same bikes.

busa trike

Convince me not to get an mt03-image_2022-10-14_213005086-png

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PurplePackage; 10-14-22 at 08:30 PM.

Lifer

That picture did not match the image in my head.

nah, just do it

I figure with your riding background and budget you can definitely afford, and know how to do it "right" so you've already made up your mind. The MT03 will be as close you can get to being a modern naked EX500, minus 10hp, plus fuel injection. it will be relatively maintenance free, cheap to run, and relatively unbothered to sit for a winter

Last edited by breakdirt916; 10-14-22 at 09:31 PM.
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Lifer

I admit my mind is made up if it wasn't for the highway thing. No one seems to regear them for lower rpms. Other than that I think it fits my needs nicely. Bringing up the winter sleep is a good point too. Not much to worry about with it.

Other than the teal wheels I see on the new one, it is a great looking bike. For $4,800, ya can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    We had a 2016 Honda CB500F ABS and it would easily cruise with any highway traffic and got amazing mpg. We added a small windshield.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

IMO, you won't kill the Yam running at highway speeds. Just judging from my experience on the Ninja 250, which will cruise all day at 65 mph. But hills, headwinds, trying to pass, trucks etc, forget about it. And that's just on MA Rt 2 near me, fairly flat. The Pike west is pretty hilly, long hills, I can't picture it serving you well. It looks like a great bike, though, and I'd do what Garandaman says, take the scenic route.

(As to the Z400, I can't get past the funky protruding head pipes, better to get the Ninja 400 if you go Kawasaki.)

Last edited by whynot; 10-17-22 at 08:11 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Spent all day trying to track down any mt03s within a couple hundred miles of me and no luck. I was told it's not a demand issue not really a supply issue either. Most dealers simply don't want these little bikes so they only get them when Yamaha makes them. One sales said they are tied to r1 sales so 8f the dealership.wants x amount of r1s they have to x amount of mt03s. They are so cheap they sell I guess.
    I got a couple warnings about the 2022 and up models that I'm trying to verify. I can find a few references online but nothing solid.
    Areas of concern with the 2022 that if anyone knows anything about I would appreciate it.
    Unable to regear the bike. Check engine light stays on if you do. Oddly the z400 suffers from this but not the ninja 400.
    Unable to ever use a tune device on the bike. Something with the abs module is supposed to prevent being able to install a pc6 9n it.
    The prior models had an issue with excessively long throw on the throttle that many people solved with an r6 tube. Easy peasy. Supposedly Yamaha has prevented this from being able to be install on 2022 models but making the throttle and switch gear all one unit that can't be serviced the usual way. A few dealers mentioned the start button is now a momentary slide switch that is incorporated into the run\stop switch and is prone to failure by user error. Rather than push the start button you hold down the run switch to start the bike and it's easy to press too hard and break the switch.

Lifer

Hmmm....consider that the z650 are not selling well and can be purchased close to that price. They are great little bikes whose only fault is competition from the mt-07, triumph trident, etc...

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Hmmm....consider that the z650 are not selling well and can be purchased close to that price. They are great little bikes whose only fault is competition from the mt-07, triumph trident, etc...
    ^^ Good idea.

Here's another idea, I think it's good -- consider a Royal Enfield 650. Yeah, I know this is NESR where 99.9999% of the time the latest gee-whiz-bang-electronic-laden bike is most desired. The RE is simple and easy DIY maintenance -- that's right! you DO NOT have to remove the cams to adjust the valves -- imagine that.

IMO, these bikes look great and sound *really* great. They have been out a few years and any bugs worked out AFAIK.

You're not far from Mark's Motorsports in Enfield CT, maybe check 'em out?

Last edited by whynot; 10-18-22 at 07:47 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Where are z650s being sold for cheap? I haven't really given them a thought.
    I did think of Enfield's but only briefly. I didn't realize a dealer was that close to me however. I'm gonna go check them out. Thanks.

are these dogs compared to an mt03?

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/manc...539887323.html

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/sport/cb300r

saw a couple RE himalayans on CL but doesn't sound like you are looking for that style of bike and also obviously not new

Last edited by Point37; 10-18-22 at 11:37 AM.
    bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Lifer

I had a Himalayan in Vietnam briefly. I swapped it for an xr150 and was grateful. I don't really understand what was good about the Himalayan, the xr150 was better in every single situation we put them in.

The cbr300 is well underpowered compared to the mt03 and significantly more money. Probably a much better beginner bike and I'm sure it's more reliable.

Don't get an MT03.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Don't get an MT03.
    That sounds convincing.

I went +5 in the rear on my WR250R and take it on the hwy, usually about 75mph. I'm 40 min from technical twisties and 100 miles from the boarder for extended dual sport trips. with this setup it maxes out at approx 86mph GPS. Oil analysis comes back great every time. I would imagine a stock MT03 is significantly better and aside from high speed runs, can run on the hwy no problem indefinitely.

With that said, have you checked out CSC Motorcycles? Most people are turned off to Chinese bikes and while I have no experience, they do seem fairly decent for the price: https://cscmotorcycles.com/rz3s-haylon-400/

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Where are z650s being sold for cheap? I haven't really given them a thought.
    I did think of Enfield's but only briefly. I didn't realize a dealer was that close to me however. I'm gonna go check them out. Thanks.
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2124020448675/
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6020203194171/

These are slightly used z650. Given they are getting minor updates for 2023 you maybe able to deal on 2022 models

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast