Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Title stuff, VIN check?

Title stuff, VIN check?

I put money down for a bike today, the deal gets completed tomorrow. The title, though, is not in the name of the guy I'm buying it off of. He has it, I looked it over. It looks legit. He says he bought it off his buddy but ended up never registering it since he's just going to go a different route and buy a new bike. I got the vin number, I'd like to do a check but not sure where I could get it done before tomorrow evening. I found the ad in CL.

Does anything about this sound fishy? It doesn't seem all that much to me but then I'm pretty new to buying vehicles myself in general. I got a real decent deal, though it being slightly older and rashed on one fairing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just Registered

Title stuff, VIN check?

real decent deal + your not having a VIN# to check = fishy to me...

Title stuff, VIN check?

Originally posted by somestrangeguy
    real decent deal + your not having a VIN# to check = fishy to me...
    I have the VIN. I just don't know where to go about doing a check, is what I'm saying.

Title stuff, VIN check?

Be careful of the title, because possibly it has been signed by the buyer aka as the seller in this case???? making it not usable by you. He would have to apply for a new title and then wait for it in order to sell the bike to you.

VIN just call the police dept.

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Title stuff, VIN check?

Originally posted by snowborder
    VIN just call the police dept.
    Just tell them you want to know if the bike is stolen and they should run it.

Bras cause cancer.

Title stuff, VIN check?

when i did mine i called the DMV

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

Title stuff, VIN check?

What I would do:

I'd first ask to speak to his buddy, verify that it is his buddy, ask him to rattle off his info on the title, most people don't know the zip code if they are trying to falsify info (learned that when someone had a fake license at a restaurant once, nobody I knew, overheard people near us) then after you have the funds and he has written a bill of sale, go with him to the registry, see if they'll accept the title the way it is, if not he'll need to apply for a new one and wait approximately two weeks...also verify the VIN and the bike isn't stolen via pd...

Sincerely,

Kevin
    '05 Warrior
    Quincy, MA
    AIM: BostonianR6

Title stuff, VIN check?

Well, it's too late for any of that. I bought the bike and have a bill of sale as well as the title. The police dept. would not run the vin until the bike was in our posession. I don't get that because it doesn't help you know if you're buying a hot bike or not. And then if you are and you ask the police to run it they'll know and just come take it from you? Everything seems legit, I know where the guy lives, have names and addys and numbers so I don't see how I could get ass ended on this. I won't really know until I go register it at the dmv I guess, but really it just seems like his buddy sold it to him, he didn't register it and he just bypassed his ownership onto me. We'll see. Sure would be awkward walking into the dmv and having them tell me I'm in posession of a stolen bike. *books it*

There are some sketchy parts to this deal but I'm being optimistic here for once. If all goes well transferring the title and all I've got one sweet zx7 at a deal of a price. Been bombing around my neighborhood with it here and there, fast bike.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Title stuff, VIN check?

if you have the buddys info, then just have HIM sign the title over to you since he was the last registered owner.

the way it sounds now... the guy you bought it off of is gonna have to go to the DMV to get a new title in his name and then sign it over to you at which point you will go to the DMV and have them make a title in your name

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports