Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

This cop doesn't seem too happy with this motorcyclist

Re: This cop doesn't seem too happy with this motorcyclist

true, but in court an assumed fact by nature of a visual cue, can be used by both parties.

I am not saying the rider should not be fined and charged for the speeding and reckless endangerment offenses. He was obviously riding like an asshat.

I just don't agree that they should go after him for the posting of the video. If they are so hard about this charge then they should have confiscated the camera at the traffic stop, which apparently was within their rights.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I like cats.......but I can't eat a whole one by myself.

That's it, I'm moving to Maryland. First this clown waving his gun at a traffic stop, then the recent incident with the college students, where three cops just randomly beat the crap out of a kid, then made up formal BS charges that he kicked their horse. Unfortunately for them, the entire thing was videotaped.

The feds just need to take over policing duties in Maryland.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Posting Freak

Here is the deal, this shit happened in Maryland...So that goes to show us all that not every state is like MA, because we know if a MA state trooper did that he would most likely be in hot water but on the other hand the sportbike rider would also be in some shit too and we know that sportbike riders have been targeted by law enforcement for as far as I remember. So we should all take this incident as a valueable lesson and don't let history repeat it self.

all this could of been avoided had he just ran from them.... probably would have gotten away with it too. if he got caught, eluding police is aparently a lesseer charge than recording police... so

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
    Some people are saying another forum it was because of the audio because it is illegal to record someone without there permission.
    Bingo…that's why you see signs informing you of this now when you go into most fast food places. It's a HUGE fine and very illegal to do so without first notifying you and obtaining your consent. By entry into these places, you acknowledge this and thereby give your consent.

Ironically enough, there are some loopholes in the Maryland laws…
    http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/maryland.html

Last edited by ssg; 04-14-10 at 09:58 PM.
    My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    So if i'm walking down the street recording the public and I record a cop talking with my camera, I could be arrested?

Oh, that's good. I wish I had that type of higher citizenship.
    Actually if you record me talking and I get pissed and can prove you've done it, yes. It's a crime.

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states/massachusetts.html

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

High maintenance priss

Quote Originally Posted by drowe531 View Post
    Some people are saying another forum it was because of the audio because it is illegal to record someone without there permission.
    Yep; nothing specific to police officers. I was confused enough that I looked it up. I guess its an implied interpretation of old wiretapping laws. In 12 states (including MA) it is illegal to record audio without the other parties permission, even if the recording is in public and obvious (e.g. camcorder in plain view). Amazing.

Does this mean that it's a crime for a news crew to film outside in Maryland with the microphone on? That's essentially what this guy did, he was wearing a camera on his head.

Joe
    04 Thruxton (Street)
    01 SV650 (Track)
    75 CB400F (Future Vintage Racer)
    68 BSA Royal Star (Garage Floor Lubricator)

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by joeswamp View Post
    Does this mean that it's a crime for a news crew to film outside in Maryland with the microphone on? That's essentially what this guy did, he was wearing a camera on his head.
    This is one of those crimes where it's only a crime if you get caught. Most media outlets just blur the faces of those who they didn't obtain permission from if it cuts in on their scene or something. Then you can never sue or attempt to criminalize them because it wasn't really you.

But really, watch the news sometime and tell me how many people they get audio of without them being aware they are being filmed.

Technically if this kid had a sticker on his bike that said "all subjects within 15 feet are subject to audio recording" he'd be in the clear. This is clearly just the state pulling out the book because he posted it on YT and never asked anyone's permission.

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by keeena View Post
    Yep; nothing specific to police officers. I was confused enough that I looked it up. I guess its an implied interpretation of old wiretapping laws. In 12 states (including MA) it is illegal to record audio without the other parties permission, even if the recording is in public and obvious (e.g. camcorder in plain view). Amazing.
    NH Also.

Anyone setting up a group buy for stickers stating ""all subjects within 15 feet are subject to audio recording"?

I am thinking for the swingarm...

One of our members/LEO was talking about it being illegal in MA to video tape police now. I just remembered it and wanted some more info on it. Anyone know about this?

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by obsolete View Post
    One of our members/LEO was talking about it being illegal in MA to video tape police now. I just remembered it and wanted some more info on it. Anyone know about this?
    it's based on the same anti-wiretapping statutes mentioned previously in this thread. there's no special law that covers police officers specifically, however there is case law (prior court rulings guide interpretation of law and set a legal precedent in MA courts) to show that prosecutors can in some cases successfully use the illegal surveillance statute to pursue charges against non-consent video/audio recording of police on the street.

Last edited by drop; 04-16-10 at 01:21 PM.
    - Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

I Dance With Will

well this is fucked up.

i once film local cop taking a leak by dumpster. dont think i heard the pee sound though. he looks just like bigshel. seriously.

Last edited by Kham; 04-16-10 at 01:42 PM.
    "fuckit!"

Quote Originally Posted by ssg View Post
    Technically if this kid had a sticker on his bike that said "all subjects within 15 feet are subject to audio recording" he'd be in the clear. This is clearly just the state pulling out the book because he posted it on YT and never asked anyone's permission.
    the cop asked him if the cam was running, kid said no. for some reason you cant see or hear that portion of the vid anymore

Beta 200RR

Quote Originally Posted by Danz19899 View Post
    Only thing i dont like is that he came out with the gun alone, a badge would have been nice.

Bike theft is a big problem and if that bike had been stolen the person riding it may have had a much different reaction.

Honestly those cops were smart, if you throw the lights on its far to easy for a 1k to just downshift and take off.
    I watched it over and over (a few times) , if you look on his right front belt, when he is holstering his weapon, You CAN see a badge clearly there. Hard to see on the video, but if you're the guy on the bike, I'm sure it was shiny and easy to see.

Btw, a few years back I flew by a State Trooper in traffic, who chased after me, when I stopped, I took my helmet off, shut the bike off, and got off the bike, before he even told me too- kinda defuses things right off the bat. He clocked me at 130mph. No Gun Was Drawn. Just sayin' there is protocol to follow when you fuck up big, and get bagged for it. The dude was getting ready to take off on the bike(with the backing up). if he had his helmet off, and was off the bike, that wouldn't have happened. IMO

Only leave for tomorrow that which you are willing to die having left undone... ~chinese fortune cookie~

2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE Silver
    2005 Suzuki SV1000S Red

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    it's based on the same anti-wiretapping statutes mentioned previously in this thread. there's no special law that covers police officers specifically, however there is case law (prior court rulings guide interpretation of law and set a legal precedent in MA courts) to show that prosecutors can in some cases successfully use the illegal surveillance statute to pursue charges against non-consent video/audio recording of police on the street.
    Do you know the case? I'd like to read about it. I would like to see how it is deemed ok to use that statue to persue charges against people if they record police but not civilians.

How would that work with security cameras that face public areas?

Not sure I'm too happy about that use of the law.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by DailyCommuter View Post
    Btw, a few years back I flew by a State Trooper in traffic, who chased after me, when I stopped, I took my helmet off, shut the bike off, and got off the bike, before he even told me too- IMO
    you could start stripping too that might further diffuse... unless they're same sex then you're fuck

i wouldn't do anything else other than just stop unless being told.

Last edited by Kham; 04-19-10 at 08:32 AM.
    "fuckit!"

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Cop was a douche. No badge, he's pulling over a bike, the rider has NO chance of drawing down on him, and it's a Douche' police department, State or Local. Cops are NOT supposed to act like this. That's why most of the population thinks cops are morons. First thing up, pull the weapon. Weenies. Grrrls. I call B/S. That dood that pulled his gun out is like the grrly-grrly that accidently fired her weapon in another video I saw. THIS cop thought he was Baretta, Rockford, Serpico and Kojack and Superman all rolled up into one. And, the piece he has was too big for him to handle. He was barely able to draw it he's such a puss. My Mama could beat him in a gunfight, and she ain't with us no more. If he ever got into a gunfight, he'd piss his pants, fumble the weapon and cry like a woman. I got no sympathy or support for this asswipe or his fellow cops. Most cops don't act like this, but this one did. Wuss.

Douche.

"Budeep a bubba"

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    Cops are NOT supposed to act like this.

Just Registered

Quote Originally Posted by toocrazy2yoo View Post
    Cop was a douche. No badge, he's pulling over a bike, the rider has NO chance of drawing down on him, and it's a Douche' police department, State or Local. Cops are NOT supposed to act like this. That's why most of the population thinks cops are morons. First thing up, pull the weapon. Weenies. Grrrls. I call B/S. That dood that pulled his gun out is like the grrly-grrly that accidently fired her weapon in another video I saw. THIS cop thought he was Baretta, Rockford, Serpico and Kojack and Superman all rolled up into one. And, the piece he has was too big for him to handle. He was barely able to draw it he's such a puss. My Mama could beat him in a gunfight, and she ain't with us no more. If he ever got into a gunfight, he'd piss his pants, fumble the weapon and cry like a woman. I got no sympathy or support for this asswipe or his fellow cops. Most cops don't act like this, but this one did. Wuss.

Douche.
    so how long were you a cop for?

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

All cops are cock suckers.

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Posting Freak

WOW.....
    Quote Originally Posted by beet View Post
    All cops are cock suckers.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567