Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cordura suits

Lifer

Question Cordura suits

The left arm vent zipper on my Joe Rocket suit just gave out while riding around town during my lunch break today.

This is the 5th zipper that is broken and/or ripped... guess it's time to replace it. I'm going to freeze my ass off if I ride around with that vent stuck open, and I was planning 2 weekends away on the bike this month. I know Randy broke the same zipper on his but I don't have Viking Blood or whatever it was he used as an excuse when I asked him why his vents were open when we were going through the mountains and it was 45F and raining.

So far it sounds like it's Aerostich or Motoport... I want something that is built well this time.

Any opinions? I know Stoinkythepig said you liked your 'Stich, but Randy stopped wearing his?

I want something warm for cold weather riding (got mesh for the hot weather), and if it's waterproof enough to skip raingear in all but the worst weather that is a big plus.

I will probably duct tape over the vent if I travel until I can get something else. I don't think I want to pay to repair the JR suit cause it's just made too cheaply, and I did crash in it, though at low speed.

This sucks cause it appears the good suits are not cheap.

Ben

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

seems the good stuff aint cheap

so im no fucking good then tx ben
    i knew ya dint like me

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Cordura suits

i think randy stopped wearing his 'stich cuz it shrank...

could be wrong tho.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Cordura suits

yeah either it shrank or "it" grew

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Cordura suits

Thought: cheap motorcycle safety gear? One place I'd rather not try and save money.

VANSON open house.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Cordura suits

The zippers on my tourmaster tankbag ended up coming off, and the seam on my tourmaster gloves came apart. They are good about repairs if you send the items back, but u can avoid the hassle altogether if u like.

Lifer

Cordura suits

Yah... not really interested on skimping on quality anymore.

When I bought the JR suit I didn't even have a bike, so I had no clue what the differences were between good gear and bad gear. So a $800 suit seemed like a ripoff at the time.

I don't really think there is anything wrong with the JR suit I have. If I rode 3000 miles a year it would have lasted me like 6-7 years. It's still safe IMO, it's just inconvenient with all the messed up zippers.

Ben

Cordura suits

Have you been to Vanson Ben? They have a super discount rack of stuff, it's grab bag in colors and fit, but if you get lucky...

Thanksgiving weekend is the super huge Vanson open house, don't know if you can wait that long, may be worth it in the long run.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Lifer

Cordura suits

No I haven't been to Vanson, maybe I will go check out the discount rack this weekend.

However, when I think Vanson, I think Leather. I'm more interested in Cordura. I have my Teknic leather suit. It's good when it's fairly warm out. I'd rather have cordura for nasty weather and touring.

Ben

Cordura suits

The Sale rack can be cool. Walk in the store, take a right over to the corner. Sometimes great deals.

Cordura suits

Vanson has quite a line of textiles now...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Cordura suits

Any opinions? I know Stoinkythepig said you liked your 'Stich, but Randy stopped wearing his?

Ben, I didn't stop wearing my stitch cause I didn't like it. IT "shrunk" however I have been on a weight loss program lately and I can fit back in it but not quite enuf space for extra winter layers.. However if I were to buy one again, it would be the 2 piece Roadcrafter rather than the 1 piece

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Re: Cordura suits

Originally posted by benSV
    I know Randy broke the same zipper on his but I don't have Viking Blood or whatever it was he used as an excuse when I asked him why his vents were open when we were going through the mountains and it was 45F and raining.

Ben

Honda (RC26) VFR700
    "hey Randy, do a wheelie!!"

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Cordura suits

I have over 50,000 miles on my 'stich and some of the zipper pulls have fallen off but I've fixed them with bent nails or paper clips when that happens. I intend to get new pulls from Aerostich this Winter to replace them all; I'm pretty sure they sell a kit. Don't know anyone that's regretted buying a 'stich but I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

Darrell bought a "Beemerstich" suit recently, perhaps it's worked out well.

Cordura suits

I know some of you wouldn't be seen at the dump wearing it, but...

I have a Triumph Frontiers Paddock jacket and Frontiers Pants with Sympatex linings. They have been through hell and high water (literally) and have been perfect. I got damp only ONCE, not wet, but just a little damp, and that was after riding a full day from North Hampton NH to Branchville CT in pouring (and I mean DRENCHING) rains.

For colder weather, I remove the very comfy quilted liner of the jacket and replace it with a Gerbing heated jacket liner. The similar quilted liner in the pants has been good down to about 25F. I rode in 18F temps and started to fell a little chill in the legs, nothing bad.

Those particular models have been replaced with newer, better-looking stuff of equal or better quality. The only indicator of it being Triumph-branded is a very small "T" logo. The price was well below anything worthwhile from Motoport (and I have one of their Canyon II jackets that I bought for my son.) Nowhere near the price of Aerostich, and pretty close in durability. My Frontiers stuff is over 3 years old now, and still works as new, all the zippers and everything still intact. And I have 41,000 miles on my bike, much of it wearing that gear.

Last year, they introduced a VERY nice two-piece "Aspen" suit, and a new design for the equivalent to what I have. The Triumph logos are even harder to spot on that line.

Consider looking at it Ben. Great Bay Cycles in North Hampton NH has a great selection of styles, sizes, and colors in stock. For a quick look (that won't really show the quality of it that you;d see and feel in person), go to:

Triumph gear link

hth

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Everybody to the limit!

Cordura suits

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    I have over 50,000 miles on my 'stich and some of the zipper pulls have fallen off but I've fixed them with bent nails or paper clips when that happens. I intend to get new pulls from Aerostich this Winter to replace them all; I'm pretty sure they sell a kit. Don't know anyone that's regretted buying a 'stich but I'm pretty sure you already knew that.

Darrell bought a "Beemerstich" suit recently, perhaps it's worked out well.
    I did, and it has, it's BMW's summer coverall, though the only thing I've found that makes it "summer" is the 18 inch zipper vents on either of the arms. Neither of which I ever felt necessary to open more than 2 inches, but then, coming from my set of black leathers my definition of hot may be a bit skewed.

As for construction, it's cordura outside (they call it "polyamid" which is I believe the name for the cordura fiber minus duponts trademark) with a mesh lining. It's got an inside zipper for what BMW calls a venturi lining, which supposedly makes the suit a bit warmer and completely waterproof. I dunno since I didn't buy that piece, I've only been caught in a drizzle but the suit handled that allright.

I don't expect to have problems with the zippers because they look to be made out of some sort of coated aluminum. I suppose the downside is there's some risk of scratching here. The zipper teeth themselves look to be nylon, and they're large enough I don't anticipate them ever having a problem. All in all I couldn't be happier with it, been meaning to borrow my neighbor's 'stich for a ride though so I might compare it directly to aero's product.

Cordura suits

Hopefully somone hasn't already mentioned it, but I have had a lot of luck at Brockton Cycle Center with 'sale' items. I got a fieldsheer jacket last summer for like 1/2 off and am going to buy cordura pants to match in the next couple of weeks before my advanced riders course. Here is the URL.

http://www.brocktoncycle.com/

OMG

OMG
    Halifax, MA
    1999 Suzuki Bandit 600s
    D&D Exhaust

Cordura suits

Originally posted by twrayinma
    i think randy stopped wearing his 'stich cuz it shrank...

could be wrong tho.

RIGHT YOU ARE!!!!!!

Cordura suits

As mentioned, I went today and picked up a new pair of cordura pants (with butt armour) and a zipper that matches my Fieldsheer jacket.. I am flipping through the rack, everything is like $150-$250 and I get to the end.. there is a pair of pants hangin there, it's says "Size = Short and Fat" (sware to god) and Price = $49. They are in the back of my car right now, so when it snows on Sunday, I will be OK at my ERC.

OMG
    Halifax, MA
    1999 Suzuki Bandit 600s
    D&D Exhaust