Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cornering ABS

Cornering ABS

Just had Cornering ABS retrofitted to my bike. It was a simple software update and the price was not outrageous. Never had ABS and I've never lost traction or had an o-shit moment from braking but thought it'd be worth it if/when the time comes.

Braking normally about 50% in the corner actually feels different before/after the updating. the bike tend to want to keep the original trajectory. Its interesting actually, but maybe its the placebo effect.

Not enthused enough to test it outright. Has anyone had experience with it where they think it saved their ass?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

Re: Cornering ABS

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftTone View Post
    Just had Cornering ABS retrofitted to my bike. It was a simple software update and the price was not outrageous. Never had ABS and I've never lost traction or had an o-shit moment from braking but thought it'd be worth it if/when the time comes.

Braking normally about 50% in the corner actually feels different before/after the updating. the bike tend to want to keep the original trajectory. Its interesting actually, but maybe its the placebo effect.

Not enthused enough to test it outright. Has anyone had experience with it where they think it saved their ass?
    Ask Ken Condon about his experience with it at a Ducati launch for moto journalists... He found the limits and crashed the crap out of one.

Seems like it works wonderfully until you really push the front, on gravel.

Crashing Sucks: Ask Me How I Know | Riding in the Zone

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

I picked up a new Xdiavel S last month, wow the electronic tech is amazing. Launch, traction control and cornering ABS.I cant say that I have pushed it far enough in a corner to experience the cornering ABS but the brakes on this bike are simply amazing. Throw it into a right hand corner and you can feel the 153HP of exhaust bouncing off the pavement vibrating the bike. Going between the Hyper and XDiavel is extreme to say the least.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cornering ABS-20180902_151114-jpg   Cornering ABS-20180909_092235-jpg   Cornering ABS-20180909_092324-jpg  

Last edited by CMG241; 10-07-18 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    Seems like it works wonderfully until you really push the front, on gravel.

Crashing Sucks: Ask Me How I Know | Riding in the Zone
    The article pretty clearly states the crash had nothing to do with cornering ABS, and everything to do with going way too hot into a corner with limited grip. No amount of electronic rider aids is going to save the front from a lateral slide.

I've had my 1290SA for 2 years. I can't say that I'm an extremely aggressive rider compared to you track guys, but I've pushed the bike pretty hard for the street (my side boxes are beveled from a few trips to NC) and decently offroad; I've had the rear tire slide out on me several times only to regain composure due to traction control intervention on the street, kicked the ass end out drifting through dirt corners in "offroad mode" with throttle pinned, grabbed a fistful of brake mid corner a few times on the street without dumping the front, locked up the rear several times offroad trying to make a corner while going a bit too hot. The electronic safety stuff is incredible in what it can do...but you have to be smart enough to know that it's not going to prevent you from riding off the edge of your tire, or exceeding your front tire traction.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 10-08-18 at 03:23 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Consider this from an old bastard. I am from the 'who needs all that BS' camp.

Then I spent a few weeks with Aprilia's finest. Wow! Never intrusive, never shuts down the party, you end up with the ultimate electronic wing man. Got your back at all times.

I did not have the fortitude to test the cornering ABS but I am sure it works a treat.

The thing I took away from that magical time was these systems rely on mechanical grip. If you lose grip for too long at speed, you're gonna wreck. Hal can't help you if your tires don't have any purchase on the tarmac.

Just had Cornering ABS retrofitted to my bike
    Was this the S1000 or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    The article pretty clearly states the crash had nothing to do with cornering ABS, and everything to do with going way too hot into a corner with limited grip. No amount of electronic rider aids is going to save the front from a lateral slide.
    That’s such bullshit... it’s almost 2019, I should be able to buy a crash-proof motorcycle by now!

Last edited by MattR302; 10-16-18 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Was this the S1000 or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes it was on my 2016 BMW S1000R. Certain model years had all the sensors already and all it needed was a software "unlock" code. I thought for <$500 it was a great safety feature to have!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I do agree that the fundamentals of riding is still an important base to become a good rider. New technology such as this should never be relied on to prevent from crashing. It is scary the future generations of riders may never build on this skillset.

I went camping last weekend and it rained on and off. I was curious as to how ABS felt on a bike so on the dirt/gravel road to the campsite going about 30mph I slammed on the front brake while upright just to try it out. I was expecting to feel the uniform pulsing at the lever just like in a car, but what I felt was the front lever "releasing" and applying pressure only when necessary to regain traction. Very interesting!

Of course this doesn't say much about how it would behave in the corner, but based on that experience I feel like the system is quiet smart!

Yes it was on my 2016 BMW S1000R. Certain model years had all the sensors already and all it needed was a software "unlock" code. I thought for <$500 it was a great safety feature to have!
    As 160hp roadsters go, it's doing a pretty good impression of a responsible person's motorcycle.

-Jared

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    As 160hp roadsters go, it's doing a pretty good impression of a responsible person's motorcycle.
    This bike is very well behaved when you just want to putt putt around compared to my Ducati. Its so smooth that when I first got it I would be cruising around town 35mph in 6th gear, and it still had enough power at 2000rpm to move through town and feel like I'm lugging it. Of course now that I'm used to the bike and can feel what gear it is, I use 3rd or 4th.

Definitely a different beast than the Ducati. It surely does lack character though

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

It surely does lack character though
    Glad to see someone else thinks this way about vehicles. There are some vehicles out there that are so good at what they do they almost become bland/boring and due to that I'm not sure I would wan to own. Some BMW motorcycles definitely fall into that category

Definitely a different beast than the Ducati. It surely does lack character though
    When I've looked at replacing my Hyperstrada with an S1000R, it never really made sense to kick the Hyper out of the garage. Cruise control would be nice, and 160hp would be a real hoot, but the Hyper is a very special bike. Even if I found aftermarket solutions for luggage and effective wind management, I know I'd miss the motor. Cornering ABS just continues to chip away at that calculus.

Has anyone bothered with the project of turning the S1000R into a 190+hp party, or is the consensus among us adults that 160hp is as much party as a gentleman needs?

Edited to add: Looking forward to the 790 Duke. Cornering ABS and an up/down QS at under $10k and under 400lbs. F- yes.

Last edited by feralchimp; 10-18-18 at 10:41 AM.
    -Jared

If I could easily remove ABS from my hyper I would. The newer "cornering ABS" systems are supposedly less intrusive, but not even on the radar of my wishlist.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    If I could easily remove ABS from my hyper I would. The newer "cornering ABS" systems are supposedly less intrusive, but not even on the radar of my wishlist.
    ABS is a plus for any bike I expect to ride in the rain, which is any street bike.
    This is maybe just a personal choice thing, but is probably also a difference between the top 20% of rider ability and the top 0.5%.

-Jared

I don't know. I think it's a hoot on the track. Cook it too hot on the front straight and let it save your ass as the rear end lifts up. Am I building the proper skills? Probably not. But I'm out there having fun and not crashing for once...until it doesn't save me that one time.