Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

55 Help

55 Help

Please be citizens

Write or email your congressman and senators

Oppose The National Speed Limit

You and your hobby will suffer if instituted

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Re: 55 Help

55 is plenty fast for the roads I ride,

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    55 is plenty fast for the roads I ride,

Boston --> San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by richw View Post
    Please be citizens

Write or email your congressman and senators

Oppose The National Speed Limit

You and your hobby will suffer if instituted
    You blame the tree huggers for high gas prices, but oppose an effort to reduce demand?

I don't want to see 55mph again, but the reasons for implementing it are probably more valid than me saying I want to be able to drive fast.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
    You blame the tree huggers for high gas prices, but oppose an effort to reduce demand?

I don't want to see 55mph again, but the reasons for implementing it are probably more valid than me saying I want to be able to drive fast.
    :iws: i tend to ride at the same rate of speed no matter where i am anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post

If you honestly think any sort of legislation like that has anything to do with anything EXCEPT an increase in revenue, you're out of your mind. Theres a million things they could do to reduce gas prices and oil consumption, but lowering a speed limit on the highway is the most miniscule out of anything

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Bring back the 85MPH speedometer!!!

This will slow people down!

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    if your car had an OBC you'd see the diff between 55mph and 65mph, its pretty big. I'm no fan of driving slower but I do 24k a year and the expense is changing my mind - even with a mini cooper.
    You also get places a good deal quicker, lowering time spent using any gas at all.

Not that I want to go and get actual numbers and do comparing, but I imagine the tests they use to say going 55 mph saves much more gas than going 65 mph are based on time spent going at that speed, and not distance.

- TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Origin View Post
    You also get places a good deal quicker, lowering time spent using any gas at all.

I imagine the tests they use to say going 55 mph saves much more gas than going 65 mph are based on time spent going at that speed, and not distance.
    I'd imagine not. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that you use more gas going farther, than going closer. If they did it based on length of time in transit the whole thing wouldn't make much sense.

Its pretty straightforward. Travel 100 miles in the car at 55mph and then travel the same 100 miles in the same car at 65mph. You will use less gas in the 55mph trip.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

I get 22mpg on a trip averaging 50-55mph, compared to 19.5mpg averaging 72-75mph. 10% difference is a big deal in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    I'd imagine not. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that you use more gas going farther, than going closer. If they did it based on length of time in transit the whole thing wouldn't make much sense.

Its pretty straightforward. Travel 100 miles in the car at 55mph and then travel the same 100 miles in the same car at 65mph. You will use less gas in the 55mph trip.
    Like i said..i dont want to try doing any kind of math at the moment..but if you travel 100 miles at 55 miles an hour as opposed to 65 mph, there is a significant time difference. So if car A is going 55, and B is going 65. Car A is going to be using gas at 55 mph for whatever amount of time longer, wether its 15 or 20 minutes or whatever.

I haven't looked into it, and am not saying that it uses up more or less gas.

All i was really saying is i doubt the figures that have been expressed by people doing tests have probably been spun in a way that sounds much more beneficial to their argument.

Just an opinion though...i could be completely wrong

I agree with pittenger though...there are far more ways to go about trying to consume less gas and create less pollution. Higher gas prices is much more of a financial power trip than a save the world movement.

This post is too long..goodbye

- TJ

Like i said..i dont want to try doing any kind of math at the moment..but if you travel 100 miles at 55 miles an hour as opposed to 65 mph, there is a significant time difference. So if car A is going 55, and B is going 65. Car A is going to be using gas at 55 mph for whatever amount of time longer, wether its 15 or 20 minutes or whatever.

I haven't looked into it, and am not saying that it uses up more or less gas.

All i was really saying is i doubt the figures that have been expressed by people doing tests have probably been spun in a way that sounds much more beneficial to their argument.

I agree with pittenger though...there are far more ways to go about trying to consume less gas and create less pollution. Higher gas prices is much more of a financial power trip than a save the world movement.

This post is too long..goodbye
    I see what you are trying to get at but MPG is a rate (miles per gallon of fuel used). So if you do the test and are getting 20 mpg by driving 55 (yawn) and 18mpg by driving 65mph (both over a span of 100 miles), then the answer is:

by driving 100 miles at a rate of 55mph you used 5 gallons of fuel
    by driving 100 miles at a rate of 65mph you used 5.55 gallons of fuel

Still, not every vehicle has 55mph at its mileage "hot spot", my truck likes 60ish better than 55 for good highway mileage.

I
    Math is not based on opinions.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Think about it like this.

If your car averages 20 mpg at 55 and 18 mpg at 65 then if you drive at 55 you will get farther on one full tank of gas then if you drive 65, even if it takes longer.....The whole point of the argument (and I don't think anyone disputes the fact that it is valid), is that going faster and arriving sooner STILL uses more gas....

The only question is if the government should get involved and try and force you to follow that rule by lowering the speed limit.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    I get 22mpg on a trip averaging 50-55mph, compared to 19.5mpg averaging 72-75mph. 10% difference is a big deal in the long run.

Ok for arguments sake for the others here let's use your real world #'s.

If this vehicle (whatever it is) is driven at 55 mph it burns 2.5 gallons of gas. Let's use a 55 mile trip as an example. It takes 1 hour to do the trip at 55, so your fuel flow rate is 2.5 gallons per hour.

Now, if this same car goes 75mph, it will make the same 55 mile trip in .73 hours, or just less than 45 minutes. Since the fuel mileage is only 19.5 at 75mph we have a higher burn rate. If we calculate it, it would be 3.8 gallons per hour. Since the trip is .73 hours long we actually used 2.77 gallons, or roughly .27 gallons more.

So 55 mph = 2.5 gallons used
    75 mph = 2.77 gallons used

Savings in time is 15 minutes
    Extra expense in gas is about 80 cents at $4/gallon

How much is your TIME worth?

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by ninjette_ridr55 View Post

If this vehicle (whatever it is) is driven at 55 mph it burns 2.5 gallons of gas. Let's use a 55 mile trip as an example. It takes 1 hour to do the trip at 55, so your fuel flow rate is 2.5 gallons per hour.

Now, if this same car goes 75mph, it will make the same 55 mile trip in .73 hours, or just less than 45 minutes. Since the fuel mileage is only 19.5 at 75mph we have a higher burn rate. If we calculate it, it would be 3.8 gallons per hour. Since the trip is .73 hours long we actually used 2.77 gallons, or roughly .27 gallons more.

Actually, its a diesel, so its more like $1.30 extra fuel expense.
    $4.85/gal

I will only accept your arguement if you pay a mechanic to service your bike

RandyO
    IBA#9560

A mechanic has not touched my bike

my E30 on the other hand

Not really an argument anyway, as everyone will put a different value on what they consider their time is worth.

Merely pointing out there is more to it than simply speed.

Haven't even mentioned torque curves and gear ratios. They totally skew everything. The one size fits all 55 mph speed limit really has no realistic place in any argument about true efficiency. Political grand standing at it's worst.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

judging by some of the incompetents I have seen working in dealerships calling themselves mechanics doesn't help your argument either

eat me

Crash test dummy

Having ridden with Rich last season I can attest to the fact that the posted speed limit does not alter his actual speed, so his plea for help is in vane. That being said I was right there with him, so I guess I cannot plea either.

A mechanic has not touched my bike

my E30 on the other hand

I have never touched my bike, 100% professionally maintained

my E30 on the other hand

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    if your car had an OBC you'd see the diff between 55mph and 65mph, its pretty big. I'm no fan of driving slower but I do 24k a year and the expense is changing my mind - even with a mini cooper.
    i double that a year. still driving 75 @ 18mpg

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    If you honestly think any sort of legislation like that has anything to do with anything EXCEPT an increase in revenue, you're out of your mind. Theres a million things they could do to reduce gas prices and oil consumption, but lowering a speed limit on the highway is the most miniscule out of anything

Thanks for the info.

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

My Time is worth more than a little bit of gas expense. Consider the extra cost of the tickets most people will get. The feeding frenzey last time we had the double nickel as law cost everyone alot of money and in Ma more for insurance. Lets be honest most people who sport ride hit over 55 a good portion of the time they do ride on or off the highway.

OK Primer

1st speed limits only passed constitutional muster because the claim that exceeding the speed limit posed a danger for other citizens. SO its not really constitutional...of course no comment from ACLU and their rune America agenda

2nd The purpose of the PUBLIC HIGHWAYS is the rapid efficient movement of people and goods from place to place. This absolutely perverts this great purpose.

3rd This increases real travel times by about 15%. Whats more important your time or 10% gas increase. 3a More car time means less productivity so higher chance of real recession

4th Increasing travel time by 15% puts 15% more vehicles on the road at anytime. The last time it was tried there were no reductions of accidents because of this.

5th Though irreversible the pre 70's National 55,, state speed limits used to be 50 in most of Southern New England and 55 else where. Not posted you went 55. But in the politician warped logic if Interstate 95 is 55 then a 2 lane road should be less

6th Cars are significantly more aerodynamic then the 70's and as such the savings numbers now would be less for most cars.

7th PSSSSTT If you want to be in the right lane doing 55 or 60 . Be my f'n guest sometimes, even I do it in the Van, if not in a hurry.

etc.

Lastly you dumb sheep the Marxists and the tree huggers want you to stay home. Anything that keeps you from running around they like.

Also the LEO"S went nuts and wrote more tickets then ever before and since.

JUST take the time to email your congressman and senators

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast