Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cracked my frame :(

Cracked my frame :(

So this morning I had a brain fart and made a U turn without checking my blind spot. I always check but I don't know why I didn't this time. Ended up on a cars hood and then on the ground, about 15-20 mph.

Didn't think it was a bad low side until I got home. Was taking off my busted frame slider and then saw this.

Yep thats the frame. Frame slider got tweaked enough and ended up ripping off the bung on the frame. Always heard that guys didn't run frame sliders because of this but didn't think it was too common. :wow

So my question is.....

Should I get the insurance people out here and total it? Or try to sell it as a whole to someone. My payoff is around 4800 so I don't even really know if I can get that if I were to sell it privately. I doubt the insurance would give that much either. What would you do?

I have no place or enough tools to do a complete frame swap. Rest of the bike is just fine. I dont really have time to part it out either and I doubt I could get that much money parting it out either.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tuono

Re: Cracked my frame :(

You got insurance for this type of shit. Use it.

Fight for as much as you can get.

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    You got insurance for this type of shit. Use it.

Fight for as much as you can get.

just curious but were those offset sliders?

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

How do you "fight" for more?

Danz, what do you mean by offset? The slider was not directly on top of the bolt holes if thats what your asking. Basically the slider is on the ends of two tabs. Think of a "V" shape with the slider being on the point and the top of the V are the two mounting points.

Also, I've had a few tuono owners ask about swapping their slightly scratched or shitty body panels for my good ones plus cash. Will I get less money from insurance if my bike is all scratched up etc etc? or is it negligible. I wouldn't mind helping out some guys with parts if it doesn't affect my appraisal.

Last edited by catch2otwo; 06-13-10 at 08:54 PM.
    Tuono

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

Make a claim, see how much they will give you. If you find you wont get enough walk away. If you dont pay out you shouldnt get an hike in your insurance.

Wait if you got rear ended why isnt the other driver paying for this??

Quote Originally Posted by catch2otwo View Post
    How do you "fight" for more?

Danz, what do you mean by offset? The slider was not directly on top of the bolt holes if thats what your asking. Basically the slider is on the ends of two tabs. Think of a "V" shape with the slider being on the point and the top of the V are the two mounting points.

Also, I've had a few tuono owners ask about swapping their slightly scratched or shitty body panels for my good ones plus cash. Will I get less money from insurance if my bike is all scratched up etc etc? or is it negligible. I wouldn't mind helping out some guys with parts if it doesn't affect my appraisal.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

I wasnt rear ended, I made a U turn and didn't check my blind spot and basically turned into the side of his car.

Tuono

That's totalled, retail on a frame is a little over 2k, and I think it's 12-15 hours labor. I swapped the frame on my mille, really not a bad job if you have a couple/few days to do it. I think you may be able to find a clean used frame with title for a grand or so. That said, I would just let the insurance wipe it out. What brand slider?

After my last wreck I certainly won't be using frame sliders anymore. I caught mine in the back, broke off the plastic and then caught the mounting bolt right in the middle of my spine. Lucky for me the side fairing was still mostly intact and helped distribute my weight a little more evenly.

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Go with insurance.

Go with Gap insurance on a new bike

Last edited by WordTooYoMamma; 06-14-10 at 06:44 AM.

Alright, first off Mass is different from CA, but here you can fight for the amount it just requires patience and time. Start by printing off the blue book values from Kellys (kbb.com) and Nada (nada.com), go with the highest and throw the other away. Then print out a couple different on line prices for everything not stock (exhaust, etc) as if you were buying it. You fax all this info to you insurance appraisor AFTER thye make their initial offer on totalling the bike - this gives you time to do your research and get everything in order.

Typically, they will negotiate with you, I have done this in the past and ended up with a significant amount more than the initial offer, but you have to be willing to wait it out - 2 to 3 weeks extra, and again where you are in San Fran I dont know that the regulations are the same.

SUCKS!!

But Glad your ok!

Ask the Ins what they will offer for you to buy the bike after they total it and go to town parting it out! You will make $ off of it, and can bring the frame to the scrap yard for a small amount in your pocket, Or I can dispose of it for a samll fee of the front headlight set up!

It you go this route let me know as I am very interested in a few parts.
    Clip ons, pipes, rear sets, Belly pan, front cowling assembly.

Good luck.

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

You havent told the insurance company yet? What about the car you hit? They didnt want anything fixed?

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Well I just moved out here so my car and my bike are still registered to my address in Mass. So everything is still MA including my licence. I keep thinking about it more and more about just getting it welded back up. Any comments on that?

Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
    You havent told the insurance company yet? What about the car you hit? They didnt want anything fixed?

I have not, guy who I hit said not to worry about his car, I cracked the side lens. I offered to get the cops out there for a report and such but I think he was kind of freaked out and just wanted out.

Tuono

Just JB Weld that thing back together and forget about it. If you're not comfortable with that, I'd suggest adding some duct tape as a safe measure. Those two things never let a man down.

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Glad your alright.

If it were me I'd see what the Ins would offer. If the price is right, then take it. Did you at least get the other drivers info?

Don't forget a zip tie or two......

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Common sense spoken here. toocrazy2yoo's Avatar

Coulda sworn I asked this last night, but I didn't hit post, I guess? That cracking is enough to total the bike?

High maintenance priss

As others said, that will be classified as a total loss. I say go thru insurance, get paid then buy it back and sell as a track bike (or swap to a clean frame: AF1 racing has a clean one for $950 right now). Insurance buy back on that should be under $1k. So you could have a streetable bike for $2k...makes sense to me. If you want to bring it back to MA i'll take it off your hands.

I wouldn't mess w/ swapping good stuff off your bike before talking to insurance...sounds a bit like fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    What brand slider?
    +1...I'm also very interested in knowing because I'm about to install some on my Ape. PM if you don't want to post.

Last edited by keeena; 06-14-10 at 10:12 AM.

I keep thinking about it more and more about just getting it welded back up. Any comments on that?
    IDK, never had a frame welded. I guess if the damage on the rest of the bike is not that bad you could go for it. You will destroy the re-sale of the bike, which may not matter to you if you're just going to run it for a while. A simple low-side with a gouge on the frame turned into an $8700 insurance job on my '04 mille. That was with two side panels. If you hit a deer they usually don't put points on your license.

The sliders were Woodcraft. NOW let this be said, I believe that woodcraft makes alot of solid products, I have their stand and a couple of other things and feel they are all well made. But even before the crash, I've thought of these sliders as questionable on quality. The main motor mount bolt was rusted in a couple months and the other bolts simply oxidized. Luckily they supply anti seize with them but I would think stainless bolts would be a better choice even if it upped it by a few bucks.

So for all of the people saying have insurance total it, and then buy it back. If I still owe 5300 on the bike, wouldnt I be even deeper in the hole for a salvage title bike? Id have to pay off my loan +the amount to buy the bike back all to end up with a salvage title ride? am I missing something?

Tuono

The sliders were Woodcraft. NOW let this be said, I believe that woodcraft makes alot of solid products, I have their stand and a couple of other things and feel they are all well made. But even before the crash, I've thought of these sliders as questionable on quality. The main motor mount bolt was rusted in a couple months and the other bolts simply oxidized. Luckily they supply anti seize with them but I would think stainless bolts would be a better choice even if it upped it by a few bucks.

So for all of the people saying have insurance total it, and then buy it back. If I still owe 5300 on the bike, wouldnt I be even deeper in the hole for a salvage title bike? Id have to pay off my loan +the amount to buy the bike back all to end up with a salvage title ride? am I missing something?
    To make it easy say they give you $5300 and the option to buy the bike for $1000. That $5300 pays off the bike and you pay $1000 out of pocket to keep it. Then you spend $200 or whatever to weld it up. You would owe nothing on the bike and have about $1200 into it. But it would be salvage with a welded frame. Although its not worth much now with a broken frame.

Last edited by cdseven95; 06-16-10 at 06:52 AM.

I would have that one welded up by a good welder and never mention it again. It's really no the frame, just an engine steady that was damaged.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by cdseven95 View Post
    To make it easy say they give you $5300 and the option to buy the bike for $1000. That $5300 pays off the bike and you pay $1000 out of pocket to keep it. Then you spend $200 or whatever to weld it up. You would owe nothing on the bike and have about $1200 into it. But it would be salvage with a welded frame. Although its not worth much now with a broken frame.

Understood. So if I do ^^ do I have to re-register the bike with the dmv and such?

Last edited by catch2otwo; 06-16-10 at 08:16 AM.
    Tuono

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast