Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Craigslist Scam - CycleVIN

Craigslist Scam - CycleVIN

Just wanted to warn you guys that there's a pretty decent scam going around craigslist for bike sellers.

I was emailed by a guy who sounded like a good buyer until he said he wouldn't come look at the bike until I purchased a VIN report from VIN Search - CycleVin for $25. He claimed that he would reimburse me when he purchased it. Luckily I have a google machine and saw a couple of mentions of this out there so I added a couple more. It's through craigslist so I can't know what his email address is but the name was displayed as Franklin Maggard.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Crimedog; 06-13-16 at 09:22 AM.

Re: Craigslist Scam

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    Just wanted to warn you guys that there's a pretty decent scam going around craigslist for bike sellers.

I was emailed by a guy who sounded like a good buyer until he said he wouldn't come look at the bike until I purchased a VIN report from VIN Search - CycleVin for $25. He claimed that he would reimburse me when he purchased it. Luckily I have a google machine and saw a couple of mentions of this out there so I added a couple more. It's through craigslist so I can't know what his email address is but the name was displayed as Franklin Maggard.

They won't come out in person to see it, no cash in hand its a SCAM....

Got a call about the IRS is filing a lawsuit against me..... the other day and such a scam...

Re: Craigslist Scam - CycleVIN

I got the same thing about selling my wife's fz6. I told the guy to go fuck himself that no such thing existed, and haven't heard back since

Yea... I go to the Cash in hand deal ASAP. They will bail after that or just be stupid then you string them along for a while ;

All my Craigslist ads have a bold note at the bottom "reply by email with your phone number, emails with no phone number will be ignored." Helps to weed out the serious ones, and then I call back to see if they sound sketchy.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    All my Craigslist ads have a bold note at the bottom "reply by email with your phone number, emails with no phone number will be ignored." Helps to weed out the serious ones, and then I call back to see if they sound sketchy.
    I bought my R1 and Speed Triple with all email until I went to see the bikes, and bought both.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    I bought my R1 and Speed Triple with all email until I went to see the bikes, and bought both.
    I too very much dislike phone conversations with CL goons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Right, but if people are actually serious about buying whatver, they're willing to include their number, not just a "hey is the item still available?" Also, proper English and grammar helps them get a response from me too.

Lifer

brilliant!

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

This sounds legit.

1965 cadillac convertible in storage 45 years 13k miles - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale

its been in storage 45 years one of 2000 cov made then i got it i put new tires -oil change - tuneup - new battery - new points - new voltage regulator - alternator- a new top that needs to be finished putting on photos show the floors the car up on the lift before it was painted the car sat in primer for a long time so i gave it my own paint job solid all around i have all the trim to put back on and many extra parts all the floors are solid with org paint the car drives great on the highway going 80 no problems it needs a y pipe ($150) because hes a little loud at times front drivers seat needs some work easy resto the car is a driving resto project this has 400 trans no games please call any time show contact info karl car is sold asis no returns !!!!!!! a none refundable 500 is dew at time of sell car is in lowell mass i will only take paypal payment only i can hold the car for 2 weeks after paid in full call anytime with questions show contact info no games !!!!!!!!!!! no low ballers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    driven everyday the state of nh you dont need a title so car will be sold with all the papers you need to get a title in your state
    more photos at
    Flipping antique cadillacs on facebook

Last edited by Garandman; 06-20-17 at 05:05 PM.

Also there are people that try to talk and sound interested until they want you to email them to get your email address. You can give them your phone number, vin number of the vehicle and in the end they want your email address. 2 times I delt with this. Must have been the same person. After several emails, his/her excuse for the email was he/she is so busy and needs me to email him/her the ad so he/she can keep track of multiple listings he/she is so busy to keep up with. Last one I ended the conversation with "You can stop trying to phish for my email." That ended it. I swear I was talking to a bot.

Jay
    2013 gixxer 750
    2009 Ducati M1100s
    2017 KTM exc-f 350

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    I got the same thing about selling my wife's fz6. I told the guy to go fuck himself that no such thing existed, and haven't heard back since
    I had a scammer respond to a CL ad via text, so I responded to fuck yourself, and they responded "I only fuck your family"

I was like, wow, cold. But mildly impressed!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Funny, I got the same scam again a year later. This time it was "Bear Brown" for safevehicles.us