Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full Crash Report

Full Crash Report

before i get into it, i would just like to say that up to 7:48, i was having one of the most enjoyable rides in ever.

I was on Rt. 20 West, right near the Raytheon plant. There was a large green van driving rather slowly, about 5 cars behind it, then me.
    Right after the light for Raytheon, a couple of cars in front of me, and i, got in the left lane to get by the van. we were going somewhere between 30 and 40 by my guess, and accellerating.
    I glanced to my right as I passed the van, turned back, and the woman in front of me was braking, hard. i got on the brakes too hard myself, heard squealing brakes, and the next thing i know, i'm pavement surfing. slid and rolled for what felt like a *really* long time. actually slid over the double-yellow into the oncoming lane, but God is with me, and i didn't die. yay.
    jumped up, wrenched the bike upright with the help of another motorist, and got the bike off the road.
    the next 5 minutes are kind of a blur as many people asked me if i was okay, someone called the cops, more people, and all of a sudden i was alone in the parking lot, looking at my poor bike.
    2 cops, an ambulance and a firetruck arrived in about 5 minutes.
    took my statement, the woman in the car in front of me came back and gave *her* statement, and a tow-truck came.

further analysis of the crash:
    1) the lady in front of me was braking for a person in front of her turning left from 20W onto a side street.
    2) i didn't see that car, as it was just *over* the rise.
    3) i shouldn't be looking at cars i'm passing.
    4) too hard on both brakes. there are two skid marks, so i locked up front *and* rear. stupid.
    5) even though i'd been riding for around half an hour, i think cold tires & cold road were a factor.
    6) yay, gear. i had on JR jacket & pants, & gloves w/ little plastic sliders on the heel of the palm. jacket is abraded heaviest on left elbow, a few minor scrapes, & some holes where my keys were in the pocket. pants (got them monday!) have major abrasion on left knee, some other minor wear. glove sliders are severely scraped, 2 of 'em missing on right hand. jacket & pants are pretty much fully wearable, i'll probably replace gloves. Helmet never touched the ground. one of the EMTs said "well, he was wearing the right gear for it!"
    7) bike damage: both left turn signals gone. shift lever broken. front brakes 'shussing.' fairing HEAVILY scraped on left, minorly on right, the whole thing kinda popped apart, but still attached. left pegs scraped up, but still usable. clutch lever ground down, not sure if it's bent. left bar-end snapped off. minor scrape on left tail.

i think that's about it...
    -t

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Full Crash Report

wow. glad to hear you are ok after that.

yay for Joe Rocket.

i think i am going to start wearing those pants i got.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Lifer

Full Crash Report

Wow glad to hear you got your pants!

Your bike damage sounds really similar to what I got last year. I had a dented tank instead of a destroyed fairing though. I locked up both brakes and fell on the left side too. Good luck getting it fixed. If it's on a loan and your insurance+loan mandate it being 100% fixed by a dealer/shop with an insurance approval it's going to be expensive. I don't have a fairing, and my front brakes didn't get damaged, but I did have a dented tank and a broken tach, which you probably don't. The insurance adjusters estimate was about $2600. (I'm kind of paranoid my rates are going to get jacked for it.)

Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon, glad to hear you're OK.

Ben

[Edited on 4/24/02 by benSV]

Full Crash Report

Sorry about the bike. But bottom line is that YOU are okay, most likely due to the fact that you did have that gear on ya. It's all a tough lesson to swallow, but a lesson none the less. Hopefully, more than one of us here will also pick up a few pointers from your mishap. Again, tho...it's good to hear you're not really (physically) hurt...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Full Crash Report

Glad to hear you are OK buddy!
    It sucks when shit like that happens, I've been there....Well, plastic and aluminum can be replaced...I always preach that there are 2 types of motorcycle riders, those that have crashed, and those that are about to. I kinda keep that in the back of my head whenever I go out. Still good to hear you are OK

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Full Crash Report

sorry to hear bout your get off, that sucks, like everone else has already said, at least your ok.

I'm glad I don't commute or ride in traffic.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Full Crash Report

As has been said... glad you made it to ride another day...

I too ride with Joe Rocket jacket and paints... were yours stitch or leather?? maybe a stupid question at a time like this... but I have the stitch suit and wonder how it would hold up...

The bike will be fixed before ya know it... again... glad that you're ok man....

Full Crash Report

thanks for your support, guys, it means a lot.

and a huge thanks to sean for the trailer back home... we just took it off. guess i'll call around to see what kind o' damage to my wallet this is gonna be.

Josh- you staying upright tonight'll make me feel better. this ain't a 'misery loves company' time.
    as for insurance, well, the good news is that i don't have a loan... i think i'll see what the estimate is before i decide whether or not make a claim.

my jacket & pants are cordura, gloves are leather. the only reason i think i'm gonna replace the gloves is that a couple of my plastic 'rivets' came off. otherwise they're still good. i don't even wanna think of the road rash i'd have after a 30' slide.
    -t

Full Crash Report

T-Man, you DON'T wanna think of the road rash you'd have it you weren't wearing your gear. I was wearing FULL LEATHERS when I crashed, and I STILL got road rash underneath 'em (although I was going a bit faster and my crash was juuuust a bit more violent). I can't say enough how important good gear is to have in a situation like this. I won't preach about it, but I'm not shy about pointing out it's virtues either.....

Full Crash Report

stone-dawg, you be preachin' to tha mo'fuckin' choir.

a guy on an SV board posted the pics of his legs after his get-off wearing DOCKERS.
    nearly lost my lunch, man... shit shoulda been on rotten.com
    -t

Full Crash Report

If you decide to wrench it yourself... let us know... I'm not a master mechanic... but I do have my uses... (Leaving myself open with that one... so I'll throw in a now to be safe...)

Full Crash Report

stone-dawg, you be preachin' to tha mo'fuckin' choir.
    I told you BITCH, I'm not preaching!!!

Full Crash Report

that sucks man, its great to hear that your ok, and that your gear did what it was supposed to!

1995 VW golf sport
    Need to learn to ride and a bike- suzuki gs500e or sv650?

Full Crash Report

I wish I had photos of what my body looked like after my crash, even though I was wearing a full set of Vanson leathers, Teknic boots, Shoei helmet, and Olympia gloves. Never mind the friction rashes I got. After a few days, practically the whole right side of my body was black, blue and purple. It was fuckin' fucked!!!

Full Crash Report

i dunno, man... sounds like you're preachin' to me....

maybe i did something to my shoulder after all... feels like it's stiffening up a little.
    -t

Bikeless Prick

Full Crash Report

Hey T.... just a suggestion... if you have insurance... don't be bashfull about using it. I mean... it's NOT your fault that some asshole drove over your bike and dragged it around the parking lot... not bothering to leave a sorry note. I mean, imagine your pain and suffering, coming out and seeing your bike left like that. Nevermind that your cat got a hold of your leathers and tore all to shit too... both in the same day!

But seriously... if you have a home insurance policy, or you live at home with your folks... your leather gear IS covered under that policy. Nevermind if the fookers try and tell ya it ain't. So, I wouldn't hesitate to file a claim. In all honesty, I'm sure if the LEO's were there, it's going to get reported to the state and show up under your MVR anyway... might as well get 'er fixed up, if your premiums are gonna go up, there gonna go up regardless.

Just my not-so-fucking humble opinion!

Hey, good to see yer ok, but I'm absolutely sure yer gonna be a bit sore for a few days. Like most others, I speak from experience.

Rich

Full Crash Report

sorry to hear what happened.
    Glad to hear you walked away!
    So, was the chick in the van at least hot?? lol!!

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

Full Crash Report

Hey, T...go get yourself checked out by your physician. Maybe even go see an orthopedic too, for your shoulder. Injuries WILL resurface later on in life, even though you may think it's no big deal. I speak from experience.

Full Crash Report

Sorry to hear about your accident, but like everyone else, glad to hear you're OK. Don't woory you'll be back out there soon

'04 600RR

Full Crash Report

Good assessment of the crash and what went wrong, I get to read stories like yours everyday.. NO matter how many time you will hear it, glad your ok and you had your gear on... It always happens so fast..

Full Crash Report

OK one more time, I'm glad to see that your ok. Sucks about the bike! hopefully it will be fixed in no time

Kimberly
    2008 Ford F350 crew cab Super Duty 6.4L diesel
    1998 Superhawk 996
    ZX-Stewie's Other half

www.hornblasters.com
    www.cartier-farms.com

Full Crash Report

Dude sorry to hear about your get off but glad you're ok. As far as fixing things up and replacing things.. when ya look for gloves take a GOOD look at the HELD gloves that Motomarket carries.. I LOVE them.. some people think they may be expensive but I did ALOT of research and read ALOT of crash tests (racers mostly) and Held was constantly the BEST.. and I figure it's only about $14.00 a finger and for me it's worth it! Now as far as your bike parts go.. check out the back of Road Racing World and other publications like that and call a bunch of the places that advertise genuine factory parts.. I did that for my FZR1000 when it was uhhh hit by a trailer and I saved BIG money... several hundred at least in plastics for the EXACT same parts my dealer would have gotten me. And let us know if ya need help wrenching....

99 R1 with BRR front among other things
    01 WR426

Full Crash Report

hey man wrenching is always a goood time... even better with beer.

I wanna give everyone a heads up... be careful out there!!! for the next coupla days at least.

I was riding up 495 tonight on my way up to epping, and in the fast lane, traffic came to a stop, so i stopped, with enough time to put my feet down. All the sudden i heard some squeeling and turned around to see a pickup truck with the wheels locked coming up behind me REAL fast, starting to turn a little sideways... ... fortunately he stopped in time, with about 3 feet to spare. It was pretty scary to be caught in a position that helpless.

Anyways, this kind of bad shit has a habit of coming in three's, and by my count thats two close calls today. (unfortunately the other one came with damage and was probably a lot scarier) anyways, just keep an extra eye out so the third event is not someone from here or someone that any of us knows otherwise.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Full Crash Report

glad to hear it, josh.
    again... thanks everyone for your good wishes. maybe i'll host a 'fix taylor's bike' party at my crib in the near future... bring your tools, bring your knowledge, cuz i got squat of either.
    i'll bring the beer and munchies.

in other news, 25 hours after the fact, i'm feeling a little more beat up than i did yesterday, but i still say a tender spot on my hip and a stiff shoulder is a small, small price to pay for pavement surfing at 40mph.
    i've decided i'm luckier than i have any right to be.

yinz guyz are the best.
    -t

Lifer

Full Crash Report

Yah man... that's exactly what happened to me when I low sided. Sore hip and shoulder. (Although it was my right shoulder)

You know what sucks? I had U2 tickets for that night that I had my accident. I was banged up enough that I gave the tickets to my sister. They were like front row.

Hey everyone... leave a little extra following distance and keep your attention forward. Especially if you're around the bloodthirsty Boston driverrs. "Must... kill... bikers... My... Audi... cannot... be... passed..."

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast