Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Full Crash Report

Full Crash Report

wasn't sure whether to put this into Rides & Events or Bike Maintanence, so i'll just tack it on here.

i'm starting to look for the parts that i *know* i'm gonna need... when i get 'em all, would anyone be interested in a 'fix taylor's bike' party?
    the concept's been okayed by the wife, and beer and munchies are cheaper than a mechanic's hourly rate.

-t

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Bikeless Prick

Full Crash Report

beer and munchies are cheaper than a mechanic's hourly rate.
    Beer = Sam Adams Utopias MMII?
    Munchies = Salmon pate, escargot, filet mignon (medium rare)?

I'm in!!!!!

Rich

Full Crash Report

beer = whatever works for the greatest amount of people. be warned, though, i'm a beer snob... so, unfortunately, it'll probably have to be *good* beer.

munchies... well, that's undecided. katie is a hell of a baker, so we might get lucky. otherwise, prolly chips, pretzels & pizza.

-t

Full Crash Report

I'm in.
    just let me know when so i can keep some time clear on the calendar.

Beer = good. thats all you need to know.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Full Crash Report

i'm hoping Saturday, May 11...

but that's *totally* soft. it depends if i can round up the parts by then, which i'm not at all sure i can do. not to mention when people are free.
    -t

Full Crash Report

I should be around on the 11th to lend a hand... or to watch people that know more than I do lend a hand... Whatever works...

Lifer

Full Crash Report

That's the weekend of the "NESR getaway" so you might have trouble finding people.

I wasn't going on the getaway, but I'm gone that weekend anyway.

I would like to help though.

Ben

Full Crash Report

Sorry to hear about the crash. I knew I'd have a way of remembering your name, Taylor Ray, unfortunately, this isn't the way I would have opted for.

Like Rich said, file an insurance claim if the damage is substantial. You can add the cost of clothing repair or replacement (jacket, pants, gloves, etc.) to the claim as 'property damage'. It will be covered without the need for filing a homeowners claim, which would entail another deductible. It wouldn't hurt to visit a doctor if you are hurting, although you'd probably know if you broke anything by now. Even if you did, in many cases they don't do anything (ribs, collarbone [unless it's misaligned], separated shoulder, etc.) Health insurance will cover the cost of the visit and treatment (drugs, physical therapy, if any). $2K threshold on tort cases in MA as far as injuries go, so no recovery there. Hopefully you have collision coverage if the damage is a lot, otherwise buy parts on the cheap. I don't recall your bike so not too sure if it is a shiny mint baby or ummm, a not so shiny one. You can count me in (may 11th is fine) for the repair day. I can rewire your electrics and will bring the necessary tools, crimpers, cutters, and quick connectors).

Crash assessment, while somewhat irrelevant after the fact, will at least help with your confidence to ride. It sounds like you know what you did wrong. Eyes forward, Mr. Ray, not gazing at the hottie with low cut blouse in the vehicle you are passing , and the faster you go, the less you should rely on the rear brake, most likely if you used the rear that's what locked up. Another way to say this is, stay off the fuckin' rear brake. They don't need adjusting, your leg is heavier than your hand and in a panic, especially if you are used to using the rear a lot, you'll overapply it. Was gonna make that comment the other day on a different thread, karma told me someone was going to crash, fuckin' weird, but had a feeling. Decided not to be so controversial, then this happens. grrrr.

did you make this comment before or after the crash?

posted on 4/23/02 at 04:23 PM

quote:Oh and the rear brake... not really a big deal but you need to adjust to it. The SV locks up the rear easily if you're not paying attention...

i can attest!
    the only other gotcha i can think of is the strong engine braking in 3rd & lower. i wasn't expecting it at first, but it's getting hard to imagine riding without it now.

-t

Anyway, water under the bridge. Most importantly, you weren't hurt badly and were very smart choosing to wear good gear.

Chuck
    '02 Duc 998S Bostrom
    "and if oneeee more person asks me if I'm hot in my leathers when it's 90 degrees out, I'm gonna screeeeamm!!"

Full Crash Report

heh.
    no... "i can attest" was in response to what happened on the group ride... ben told me i locked the rear a little when the biyatch backed out in front of me.

i'm pretty sure i locked both yesterday, tho... there were two skidmarks on the road. one fat and long, one skinny & short.
    *shrug*
    she *used* to be shiny & mint...
    i think i might do this in two steps. one day for diagnosis, and a second for repairs.

-t

Lifer

Full Crash Report

Chuck,

I didn't mean the brake needed to be adjusted, I just meant the rider might need to adjust to the strength of the brake.

I think I am starting to agree with the "no back brake" people though. Not necessarily on my SV but from riding my bicycle. The rear on that thing is *totally* frigging useless. Probably cause my head is right over the front wheel, and I had a real scary rear lockup a while ago when a car pulled out on me on a steep hill.

Taylor,
    The lockup I mentioned wasn't a "little" one. It was a 20ft dark black mark on the pavement. It scared the crap out of me seeing you do it. I didn't really say a whole lot to you cause I didn't want to piss you off. The last time I mentioned to someone that they made a mistake they really told me off.

I still go do practice panic breaking a lot, about a month ago I had my rear totally lock up at like 60mph when I was practicing, it is really something to be super aware of.

BTW, I had two different skid marks when I crashed too, I'm not sure I necessarily believe I locked both wheels anymore though. In my case the tires were not scrubbed in yet though.

Ben

[Edited on 4/25/02 by benSV]

Full Crash Report

ben... well... uh... shite!
    note to self: lighten right foot.

i guess i described it as "little" because i didn't notice it at all, if that makes sense. back end didn't feel squirrely or anything.
    thanks for letting me know, dude.
    -t

Full Crash Report

I won't be around the weekend of the 10th, T. But if ya make it a weekend shortly thereafter, I may be able to give ya a hand too. I'll just need a coupla weeks notice to make it happen on my end...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12