Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

saw a crash that scared the pants *onto* me!

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

On Saturday i went out riding with group of mixed bikes. everything from a Honda Valkirie, a BMW, my R6, SV650, F4, Harley, etc etc....

while going around a pretty sharp (65-75 degree) turn at a slow speed i heard grinding metal and someone yell directlly behide me. a qucik look back confirmed a rider me went down. i dunno how fast he was going. he hit wet leaves and wet sand and low sided / slid out. he tried to get away from the bike and ended twisting his body around so it looked as if he was riding the bike backwards. he leg was pinned under bike and couldn't get up till someone pulled bike off him. i'm not sure how fast he was going when he went down.

good news: he was wearing gear and wasn't serouslly hurt.

bad news: despite renforced jeans his leg was cut up pretty bad with road rash. he was able to ride away, but it took a good amount of bandaging from the ambulance that showed up. his ankle would have been toast if it wasn't foor boots.

to date, i've havn't owned a pair of speific m/c pants for riding. after seeing this happen...i'm getting them ASAP. SO...anyone give me advice on good pants?

dress for the crash not the ride,
    -chr|s sediiton

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

Lifer

what size waist and hieght are you? I got a set of joe rocket leather pants, ballistics I think. I had the pucks for them too but I thinks I gave them away at my last trackday.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

I will agree, get them ASAP
    I went down in much the same manner a couple months ago.
    Low sided on a sharp corner because of sand.
    My leather pants saved me, but my knee is still recovering
    from the blunt force trauma. My new leather pants from Tour Master Cortech, has CE approved armor in the knees. The armor hurts my bad knee, but i get through it. I recommend perf leather as I do more warm weather riding than cold weather. And you can always wear long johns. I did find that my HJC leather pants,
    Lost in the crash, were more comfortable than the Cortech. As hard as it is to find a shop that has a variety, it is best if you Try them on if possible. Good luck, and happy shopping

'03 VFR SILVER

I am the Plate, Step Up to Me

NESR ruined my life. chr|s sedition's Avatar

Originally posted by hessogood
    what size waist and hieght are you? I got a set of joe rocket leather pants, ballistics I think. I had the pucks for them too but I thinks I gave them away at my last trackday.
    32-34. 5'10 / 5'11 (i'm all kids of skinny-white-boy)

-chr|s sedition

"Up front there ought to be a man in black." -John Cash

LISTEN TO SLAYER
    If I get another fuckin' bike stolen...

Lifer

I think these are 30's but I fit into them at the track when my waste was at 35-36. I'm down to 33-34 now and I'm wearing the same pants in size 32. If you want to check 'em out let me know and make me an offer.

Think they go for upwards of 300 new, but I'll take way less. I've worn them once and the guy that I got them off wore them 4 times.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

I love my motoport cordura pants.

Motoport

Curious..what kind of jeans?

What kind of armor jeans was the rider wearing? Were they the Draggin kevlar ones? I ask because I was thinking of getting a pair of those to compliment my Joe Rocket Ballistic pants.

The Ballistics have been good to me but not crash tested as of this time. I can tell you the armor shifts around, e.g. if you fall and get torsion on the pant leg the armor will move. Also, they are a great cold weather pant but a HOT pant above say 70.

I am thinking of hawking my JR textile gear in the spring and trying to get something a notch higher in terms of crash protection.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

ive seen some from icon that look like regular jeans but have alot of protection in them too.i think its rideicon.com,just thought maybe something to look at.take care

Lifer

Re: Curious..what kind of jeans?

Originally posted by ancosta

I am thinking of hawking my JR textile gear in the spring and trying to get something a notch higher in terms of crash protection.
    I thought the ballistics were leather? i don't know what model mine are then...the be leather though, and if they're sized right the armour shouldn't shift. Mine doesn't.

Lifer

I lowsided in my JR balllistics when I first started riding and they worked fine. (cordura, not leather)

I believe I had jeans on underneath, but it may have been shorts.

I was going slow but the bike may have landed on my leg like this accident.

I think my leg was a little sore later that day but nothing bad. I had a teeny, teeny raspberry on my hip from the pants/jacket sliding. Same thing happened to my arm, but I know for sure I was wearing a short sleeve shirt under the jacket. The material on the inside of the jacket was rough/scratchy so that was the cause of that.

I finally "upgraded" and got some Dainese pants this fall. They are way, way better. They fit much, much better and I'm much less worried about the armor moving around. (Better armor too), and they are definitely more waterproof. They are cooler on a hot day and warmer on a cold day. But they are not as convenient as it is hard to wear jeans under them for commuting. They costed insanely more than the Joe Rocket stuff as well, so they better last like 10 years. (The Joe Rocket stuff is not going to last if you ride a lot, the build quality is just not there)

Ben

The silly money I've shelled out on Vanson shit turned out to be the best money I've ever spent ON ANYTHING. My Avenger jacket and Sportrider pants have both been through a pretty nasty accident. I still wear that very gear today (4 years now)...

I also have a pair of Joe Rocket Ballstic-something-or-other pants that I use for more casual (or rain expected) rides. I've heard bad things about their quality, but I've been using mine regularly for a few years, and I haven't had any problems with 'em. Luckily, thankfully-*I* haven't crash tested those...

I also have a 1-piece perfed suit. I think you can get a 2-piece perfed suit. Fairly short money through New Enough, and you'll have a zip-apart jacket to go with it...

I'd rather be in leather than anything else if I crash again...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?