Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Crash-test report: Teknic Stinger jacket and Aerostitch Darien pants

Crash-test report: Teknic Stinger jacket and Aerostitch Darien pants

Crash: the first full hairpin going westbound through App Gap, past Mad River Glen (roughly center here), second gear on the ex250, probably 25-30ish MPH, maybe 35, had that "oh, crap, this corner is tighter than I remembered" feeling and looked up and cranked my head around to look for the exit.

Next thing I know, I'm on the ground sliding next to my bike. Further inspection (after moving bike to side of road) reveals liquid on front tire, and I then noticed that there was a liquid trail through the traffic lane. Lesson: look through the corner, but glance at the pavement, too—there are no corner workers on the street.

I was wearing full gear (after all, I was on my way to Bike Night, and I didn't want Doc to yell at me). Boots (Oxtar Matrix) and gloves (A* GP Plus) sustained minor scuffing, although a finger seam on the gloves did fail about a week later.

The Darien pants I was wearing held up pretty well, with an abrasion through the surface layer on the knee and some abrasion damage to an adjacent seam.

Not bad, and I may send them in to Aerostitch for repair (haven't decided yet). I'm pretty comfortable thinking that they'd probably also hold up reasonably well in a higher-speed pavement slide.

The Teknic jacket was another story. The exterior seam over the shoulder seems to have been abraded to the point of total failure. This seems like lousy design—the critical seam is over the top of the armor, in a high-abrasion location.

I don't want to think of what would have happened with another 20 MPH to deal with. I do think that the armor in the Teknic jacket is of better quality than the rest of the jacket—although I was sore the next couple of days, I did finish the ride to Bike Night (and then ride home later).

Larger pics in this album.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Crash-test report: Teknic Stinger jacket and Aerostitch Darien pants

thats why I wear leather I took a similar slide in a pair of thick jeans and an Icon timax mesh jacket. Tried to turn onto a side street at about 25 30 on cold tires. Slid from one side of the road to the other. Textile unless its really good stuff is still just plastic. It can only take so much. And its only good for one time lol. It did its job though your ok and that's the important thing. On a side note there are a bunch of good leather jackets for sale pretty cheap right now.

Re: Crash-test report: Teknic Stinger jacket and Aerostitch Darien pants

Yeah, I've got leather. For general street use, it sucks. It doesn't breathe well, it doesn't do well when the weather turns wet, and it's pretty limited in temperature range. I can't argue with the safety benefit, and I'd most definitely rather be wearing leather than textile at the track, but the flexibility of textile gear wins out for me on the street. If I'm planning to head over to a twisty and relatively untraveled road with a bunch of NESR nutcases wearing kneepucks...yeah, I'll put on the leather (although it will probably still be a jacket/pants combo, not the one-piece).

And yes, there are now leather pieces that do handle moisture (the Goretex leather stuff from A*, Aerostitch, and someone else, I think), but they're incredibly pricey. I'm hoping that high-quality, pricey (but still sub-$1k for pants and jacket) textile gear would hold up better...and that I won't prove it. I think I'll try to stay away from pricepoint-targeted stuff, though (which Teknic undoubtedly is).