Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crashing at the track vs insurance?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Crashing at the track vs insurance?

So I was wondering....I'm located in MA. Since I was not racing at the track, but rather taking a "training course" to be a better rider, am I not covered with my insurance for damages in the event of a crash?

I've been told by a few guys that they just contact their ins. cies and tell them they crashed on the side of the road somewhere...but in that case I'd have to say I didn't get a police report and just got the bike on a trailer and got it towed home.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Re: Crashing at the track vs insurance?

I know a few guys who have crashed "on the side of the road somewhere" and have filed claims without police reports.

You're not going to know one way or the other until you call them and ask.

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

You were at fault in the accident so is it worth both your car and motorcycle insurance going up for 3+ years?? My guess is no. If the bike was totalled then yes it maybe worth it. You probably could fix your bike for less than $800 since a lot of people on here seem to have the parts you need. Over 3 years you will pay thousands in increased insurance costs.

If your plan is keep it a track bike anyways just get her running and do the minimum to get it back out there. No need to replace bodywork if you dont need to.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

PM. CEO Chris, he would know

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I think I'd call and ask them before I tried to make a claim. Of course I don't think I'd give my whole name or policy number when I ask.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I'm not leaning much towards saying I crash on the side of the road, but I'd really like to know if you are still covered under a trackday. I believe I have heard before that trackdays might be considered sort of like a rider's training to improve riding skills, not racing. I'm sure it all depends also on which insurance company you deal with. Some might make a difference between the two, some not. And no...it is not worth both my car and bike ins. to go up thousands of dollars.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MVOUS View Post
    dumb idea to try and get around it. If they are smart they will see that you were injured and picked up from NHMS. insurance fraud.....do no pass go do not collect 200 dollars.
    I agree with this, since it is traceable.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

CEO's insurance covered his crash because it is training, not racing. But +1 on higher premiums. You should ask them first how much it will effect your premiums. EX parts are fairly inexpensive and easy to come by, probably not worth the jacked up premiums.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by jnm988 View Post
    CEO's insurance covered his crash because it is training, not racing. But +1 on higher premiums. You should ask them first how much it will effect your premiums. EX parts are fairly inexpensive and easy to come by, probably not worth the jacked up premiums.
    That's what I thought. Of course if the premiums go up too much, I won't place a claim, not worth it.

I was able to put a claim in, by saying it was on at an advanced rider training course. IMO, it's not worth it unless your bike will be totaled and the $$ you get would be significant. I got over 8k for my bike, and i'm sure it'll go up a bit...

If you are serious about turning your bike into a TRACK only bike then here's what I suggest.

Call your insurance company, ask them straight out, give them all your info.

Here are the likely outcomes:

If - Yes, you're covered, but your premium will go up.
    Then - file a claim, fix the bike, then cancel your coverage

If - Yes, your covered and your premiums will NOT go up
    Then - File a claim, fix the bike, cancel your coverage

If - No, you're not covered.
    Then - Cancel your coverage

The common theme here is that, unless you have a megabuck, high performance, race machine with lots invested in go fast stuff...AND...you are racing professionally for money and insurance is a cost of doing business, there isn't really any good reason to insure a track bike. (Depending on your circumstances fire and theft might be worth it. Not for me though!)

Consider putting all the dollars you would spend on Premiums and putting the money in a secret, bike only, fund. Betcha you can do some cool stuff and still have money left over to fix the inevitable busted bits....

If you are keeping the bike on the road disregard all of the above...

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Oh maybe I should mention my bike already has a salvage title...does that make a difference? It was totaled for lesser damage than it has now, after a spill when this bike was bought brand new from a previous owner. I bet they would total it again and give me nothing for it. It's a freakin 500...not a nicer bike paid significantly more.

DucDave...for now the bike will stay on the road. It's the only one I have. If everything goes well with the new job, the 500 is most likely being converted into a track bike. I just don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwisties View Post
    DucDave...for now the bike will stay on the road. It's the only one I have. If everything goes well with the new job, the 500 is most likely being converted into a track bike. I just don't know yet.
    gotcha....

well, from the pics I saw, I wouldn't claim it. Betcha you can get it back on the road for .89cents and help from all the leg humpers here! (I can't really help other than offering poor advice! I have no parts or knowledge about the EX500! And even if you'd let me hump your leg my wife would seriously frown on it....!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

FYI it doesnt matter in this state if you make a claim EVERYONE will know. A new insurance company will find out and rates would be almost the same as the other one.

I can guarentee the damage in the insurance companies eyes would be over $1000 which makes it an "at fault major accident" which is worth 4 points and I am guessing increases in your premiums of about 500-750 a year for 3 years. Minimum that puts you at $1500.

I know lots about insurance and their costs. You can always call your agent and they will walk you through it. Even if they KNOW you were in an accident they cant increase your premiums unless they ACTUALLY pay out money so just be up front with them on the phone. NO reason to lie to them since you arent going to put yourself at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    If you are serious about turning your bike into a TRACK only bike then here's what I suggest.

Call your insurance company, ask them straight out, give them all your info.

Here are the likely outcomes:

If - Yes, you're covered, but your premium will go up.
    Then - file a claim, fix the bike, then cancel your coverage

If - Yes, your covered and your premiums will NOT go up
    Then - File a claim, fix the bike, cancel your coverage

If - No, you're not covered.
    Then - Cancel your coverage

The common theme here is that, unless you have a megabuck, high performance, race machine with lots invested in go fast stuff...AND...you are racing professionally for money and insurance is a cost of doing business, there isn't really any good reason to insure a track bike. (Depending on your circumstances fire and theft might be worth it. Not for me though!)

Consider putting all the dollars you would spend on Premiums and putting the money in a secret, bike only, fund. Betcha you can do some cool stuff and still have money left over to fix the inevitable busted bits....

If you are keeping the bike on the road disregard all of the above...

Last edited by BostonSVkid; 10-06-08 at 09:04 AM.

I was actually going to say the same thing. Even if you cancel the insurance on your bike after they fix it, I'm fairly certain the 'points' don't go away and will continue to jack up your car insurance. I really think you're better off not claiming it.

Original

If you wanted to claim it there should be no reason not to tell the insurance company you were at NHMS when you crashed. It's not a timed event, it's not a race.

As others said, fraud is bad news.

I was just speaking about these kinds of things with my agent last week. I don't generally cover my bikes other than for fire/theft/liability.

Basically I was trying to figure out if I could do this:

1. I crash it, I fix it... no insurance involved. ...Check

2. If it is stolen or burns, its covered. ...Check

3. If I hit something and cause damage/injury to others, its covered. ...Check

This last one doesn't seem to be possible...

4. If someone else hits me and they are not insured, my bike is covered. The agent told me that across the industry, coverage is not structured like this. Its kinda like collision for the case of ONLY the uninsured "other guy" hitting me.

In other words, I tried to explain this...

If I break it, I fix it.

If someone else breaks it, their insurance pays.

If someone else breaks it and they are not insured, my insurance pays and goes after the party that did the breaking. Apparently I can't have this part unless I have collision on my bike. I was hoping to have JUST the uninsured motorist part, because with a bike again, I feel if I break it, I'm going to fix it.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

youve got all winter to fix it. just do it yourself. i usually dont have ins on my bikes.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Most companies will NOT give you uninsured unless you have collision. I will never own a bike without collision ever again.

Ok, I won't lie. I don't need any aggravation added (and what an aggravation it would be...criminal record. I don't think so.)

I will ask my insurance guy about crashing at the track and see where it goes from there. From what I read here tho, it's a better option to fix it without insurance involved.

Yup I have state farm, I told them the truth about everything and there was never any question of them covering me. They did.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Quote Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
    Yup I have state farm, I told them the truth about everything and there was never any question of them covering me. They did.
    so you paid a deductible (guessing $500) and they cut a check for rest? any idea what your premiums went up as a result of an at-fault accident? this would be good info to know for people that went through the same situation as you.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Yes they paid me for the entire repair estimate and also reimbursed me for the cost of a new helmet.

Haven't gotten a new bill yet so I don't know about increase in premiums. However I have a perfect record and various safe rider/driver discounts so even if it goes up a bit I'll still be paying a good price.

edit: bike was not totaled or salvaged or anything, title is still clean.

Last edited by CEO; 10-06-08 at 11:03 AM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

I believe ins will usually cover you for 'track days', but i'm pretty sure you can't salvage a bike twice, i could be wrong i guess. And, i only took a quick look at ur bike after the crash, but it really didn't look like there was much damage, i would just fix whatever u NEED to and call it a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast