Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Cross Country Solo Planning. Whose done similar?

Cross Country Solo Planning. Whose done similar?

The stars aligned between a great deal, a seller willing to work with me and my place of employment letting be take 10 days off to do this. I’ve never been more west than West Virginia nor done any multiple day trips on a bike before so I’m looking for o get as much insight as possible while still keeping some of it in-planned and relaxing to make this a bucket list trip.

Background: Scooped a killer deal on a fully setup FJ09 (You name it and this thing has it…other than an auto blipper) with a hair over 3500 mi & so clean you can eat off it out in St George Utah. I bought a plane ticket for 5am September 2nd and took from 9/2-9/12 off of work to get home the long way. Zion, canyon lands, Bryce, Million Dollar Highway, Pikes, Blue Ridge and Deals on the way. I was going to string Zion to Bryce to Moab for the night, Canyon lands & arches to Telluride through the $1000000 highway. Snag the sunrise at pikes peak before slabbing to Knoxville. Grab the blue ridge & deals one day and haul ass up to Boston over 2 more days with a stop in DC or Philly. I’m an aging 28 years old with rather good physical well being.

Whose done such a trip? Any thing you wish you brought with you?

Planned kit: fuel bottles, flat repair kit, external power supply, 12v mini pump, quality rain gear, some light clothes & hiking shoes for off bike visits.

Was thinking of grabbing an aerostich or Hardanger for the trip. Already have good gloves & boots.I’ll be flying out with a large dry bag, helmet & oversized tank bag

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Crconnor18; 07-22-21 at 09:46 PM.

Lifer

Re: Cross Country Solo Planning. Whose done similar?

Credit card and a couple changes of underwear. What could go wrong?!

I've done similar, although not the same. For me it is fly in, rent a bike, tour for a week-four days, drop it off and fly home.
    I have a hacked up wiring harness for this that is basically a battery-tender lead with the fuse swapped up to 15A. Installs on every bike I've tried in about 15 minutes with a multi-tool. On the other end I can attach phone chargers, GPS chargers, any of that crap. Ram bits with one of those soft-claw clamps will hold a GPS or phone to the handlebars just fine.
    For packing I have a Dryspec D38 top bag from twisted throttle. Airline carry-on friendly and straps to just about any bike in a few minutes.
    I traveled in my aerostitch roadcrafter onesie. I opted for the 2-piece onesie that zips apart. Pack the pants and wear the jacket onto the plane. Perfect.
    Tell them your helmet is your "personal item" (aka purse) and bring that too. Wear boots and pack the lightweight stuff. No cotton, poly everything. Basically back-packing gear.
    12v pump and patch kit isn't a bad idea. Although you can probably source that from a local autoparts store once you are there pretty easy. Knock wood, I've never needed it.
    Never needed fuel bottles either. Is the FJ09 sketchy on fuel range? I doubt it is.

St George is killer. Easily one of my favorite places we've visited so far. Those parks will knock your socks off. You could spent a week at any one of the parks you listed. If you are just passing through you will barely get a taste.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I’ll look into something like that harness you built. The FJ already has one 12v cig outlet and a hardwired Garmin Zumo but having a plan B if either craps the bed is a good idea.

I have a dry bag just like the one you mentioned that I was going to use. Carry on the helmet, wear the jacket and pack pants. May see if I can squeeze a 2nd personal item to be for “medical supplies” or not.

The FJ gets about 200-250 per tank with the madstad that’s on there. It for $10 I’d like to have a spare 1.5L strapped in just in case.

That’s a good idea on getting a number of things after I land to save on weight being carried on.

I thinking the trip will be the “scouting” trip that will get me more excited or have a reason to go back for more now that I’ll have the bike to eat so many miles comfortably.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Rt 12 boulder, Utah. Gets cold with the elevation be prepared. For 30 degree nights/morning. Check hunting season too in September. Elk are runing thru escalante fast in herds about that time especially near dusk They will wipe you out. It will also snow at elevation out there at that time. Don't do rt 12 at night. Day time. Lodge in boulder. Lots of public land to tent on free. If u can bring clothes you can hike explore on. Soo many quick trails to see.
    St George is awesome.
    Monkey butt paste. Helps keep hiney happy on a long saddle day. No boxers. Get those ex officio breathable boxers.
    Sunblock for your face too. Lots o sun hitting you if you re Irish..." O'Connor"

ditch any cotton underwear unless you like swamp ass, use bicycle shorts, something that wicks sweat away instead of holding it against your skin like cotton, also no seams where it counts

I use LDComfort

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    ditch any cotton underwear unless you like swamp ass, use bicycle shorts, something that wicks sweat away instead of holding it against your skin like cotton, also no seams where it counts

I use LDComfort
    Exofficio give-n-go boxers are the shit.

Not sure if this bike has an aftermarket seat, but I'd strongly recommend either a sheepskin or a CoolCovers cover. Both increase comfort exponentially, with a slight nod to the CoolCovers cover for extra airflow and rain drainage. Massively worth the cost.

If you don't have a Pinlock in your helmet, get one. It'll make the difference between having to pull over and being completely fog free while riding in rain.

I'd recommend at least a set of thermals, possibly two. I'm a big fan of my Klim Aggressor Cool thermals, top and bottom, for hot weather riding (dunk them in water for AC effect), and I have your normal UA thermals for cold. They pack down easy enough to justify carrying. Heated gear is by far the better warming approach, but I don't think you'll need it in early September.

I've also become a huge fan of Merino wool socks. You can wear them for 3-4 days at a time (which means you pack less), and your feet don't get wet from sweat. I wear Darn Tough and love them.

As far as jacket and pants, I'm tempted to recommend a mesh suit. A Stich or Hardanger, while they sound good, might become stiflingly hot. I'm a bigger fan of the layering approach lately. Technical layers under a mesh suit, with a separate rain liner set to throw on if needed. Layering is way more versatile IMO, although you will need a bit of extra space for the extra gear. That said my rain liner packs down only slightly thicker than all my thermals stacked (about the size of a brick).

IMO ditch the fuel cans if this is going to be a pavement only ride. 200-250 miles on a tank is plenty between fuel stops in pretty much any part of CONUS. I've done 50k miles of adventure riding all over the east coast on my Super Adventure and never needed extra fuel. If you were on a dual sport it would be a different story.

I'd also strongly recommend setting an entire day aside for the BRP. Deal's Gap, while a bucket list item, is not easily combined with the entirety of the BRP if you want to do the whole thing and finish before midnight (plus it's often a shit show of morons). I think the last time I rode the entire BRP it was a 12 hour ride all by itself. Also camping on the BRP is an experience if you have the opportunity. There are a few campgrounds along the way, but make sure you book a reservation ahead of time.

And if you're going to be in Tellico Plains, you owe it to yourself to do Cherahola Skyway. It's worth the extra riding. Heck plan an entire day centered around riding the Smoky's. Throw a dart on a map and you're going to find a phenomenal road.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

The intent right now was to use hotels & Airbnb’s on the trip as I haven’t setup a trusted camping setup yet for moto travel though that is something I have in the works for the next trips. The FJ has been setup by an older gentleman that had no experience spared and actually has two high quality seats to chose from and I may grab an airhawk or something for the trip as well.

Ditch cotton
    Pack poly & cycle shorts
    Monkey butt paste
    Wool Sox
    Ditch the fuel bottles
    Layers
    Mesh suit or similar. (I have a set of older DryStar pants & a Firstgear adv jacket)
    Aux rain gear and under armor

Lifer

How are you planning on getting the spares home?

The sale is just for one seat but I will try them both and make a decision. If he is willing I o part with the spare I’d just bungie it on the passenger seat or rear rack. I’m a little fella so there is plenty of space in the back for something like that.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    A Stich or Hardanger, while they sound good, might become stiflingly hot.
    The roadcrafter ventilation is often underrated. With the vents open they flow a ton of air. The suit itself doesn't offer much insulation factor. It just a matter of metering airflow.
    I wore mine on my CA trip. From snow on the sides of the road through Tioga pass in Yellowstone to 100 in death valley. I just varied the layering under it. Like you, I used a lot of lightweight merino. In death valley I was down to a pair of gym shorts and a poly shirt.
    And with a single main zipper the suit drops off you fast once you stop.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    The roadcrafter ventilation is often underrated. With the vents open they flow a ton of air. The suit itself doesn't offer much insulation factor. It just a matter of metering airflow.
    I wore mine on my CA trip. From snow on the sides of the road through Tioga pass in Yellowstone to 100 in death valley. I just varied the layering under it. Like you, I used a lot of lightweight merino. In death valley I was down to a pair of gym shorts and a poly shirt.
    And with a single main zipper the suit drops off you fast once you stop.
    Can't way I've ever worn a Stitch, but I do have a Rev'It Dominator GTX jacket with vents everywhere, and even with all the vents open it gets stuffy at 85+.

That said they do say when you're riding in 97+, you don't want mesh anyways, you want textile with vents closed, as the evaporative cooling effect no longer actually works.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I have a Scorpion Yosemite suit. Good protection, lots of vents. I think I’m cooler wearing that with the vents open than I am with t-shirt and jeans. Feels like AC in the suit. I have an AStars waterproof shell that packs very small to put over the top for heavy rain. Rode it through the tropical storm a couple of weeks ago and stayed dry. $650 for the Scorpion suit, $125 for the AStars shell.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    How are you planning on getting the spares home?
    my method has been to ship USPS

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I did 2400 miles on my MABDR trip back in May. Probably the biggest thing I found that helped was a camelback bladder in a tank bag. Stick the mouthpiece out of the zipper, and coil the tube inside in a way that you can easily pull it out to take a drink and push it back in when done. This was so much more convenient than pulling over, removing the helmet, getting a water bottle out of the luggage, etc, and I was much better hydrated.

If you don’t have a Bluetooth/comms unit for your helmet, then get one. Listening to tunes or whatever will make it much more enjoyable. If you can load tunes onto the GPS, or a dedicated phone/ipad, you can plug that into the bike to charge while riding. I don’t like riding with my main phone mounted on the bike - if I crash, I want my phone on my person in case I need to call for help. Plus you might not always have cell service to stream, so having media loaded on a device will be helpful.

Also, the only way a Stich feels ventilated is if the main chest zipper is open partway (like any other jacket) - I don’t consider that a vent. Yeah the armpit vents and the back vents help a bit, but your lower body is still roasting. I’ve had mine for almost 10 years and wear it the vast majority of my riding, but it’s best at intermediate temps. It’s a sauna suit on the hot days of summer, yet it seems to leak in a lot of cold air in winter.

my first MC vacation, I did 6200 miles over 2 weeks, I brought waaay to much gear

every MC vacation after that, I packed less and less, no T shirts, I buy em as souvenirs along the way, if camping, bare minimum,

bring $$$ and extra CC, you never know when your bank decides your spending on a trip is "suspicious" even when you've called em ahead of time

Last edited by RandyO; 07-23-21 at 11:17 AM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Ha, I'm also guilty of overpacking on my first few big trips. My go-to with fluctuating or unknown temps is mesh jacket & pants with separate rain and thermal liners. I almost always pack 2 sets of gloves: vented and waterproof/insulated. If it might get really cold, I'll throw in my electric vest/jacket -- I find electrics save on the layers I need to pack and can keep me moving (adjust temp vs pull over and shed layers) but pretty sure that wont be needed on this trip. I wear my gore-tex touring boots for all big trips, and they are my only footwear aside from my Rainbow sandals -- while the boots are not the most protective, they are comfortable enough for most things. I get 200 miles to a tank and don't pack any additional fuel. A small tool set, 12v pump, and tire plugs is all I really bring besides a change of clothes if not camping. You can find hotels with laundry if you feel the need to wash (or just wash in the shower and hang-dry overnight).

Side note -- I noticed the FJ09 you're buying has 3500 miles. I usually blast through OEM tires in <3k miles, so unless they've been recently replaced I'd look into where to get some new ones mounted once there.

Last edited by OneCheekRider; 07-23-21 at 11:16 AM.

A bladder is one thing on my list I didn’t not add.

As for the bike, the seller is mounting a set of fresh Road 5’s, full Fluor flush, new chain/sprockets and a clean. It’ll be as close to a new bike as possible once I land in SLC that Thursday morning.

I’m thinking light clothes, versatile sandals or sneakers, sox and base layers. A fresh set of textile/mesh suit with the proper liners/shells for all wether is a must. I have vented gloves as well as a set of Klim waterproof & insulated ones plus some thin rain glove overs that are the balls. The more rain gear & cold weather gear I pack the better chance of dry sunny riding is my thought.

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    A bladder is one thing on my list I didn’t not add.

As for the bike, the seller is mounting a set of fresh Road 5’s, full Fluor flush, new chain/sprockets and a clean. It’ll be as close to a new bike as possible once I land in SLC that Thursday morning.

I’m thinking light clothes, versatile sandals or sneakers, sox and base layers. A fresh set of textile/mesh suit with the proper liners/shells for all wether is a must. I have vented gloves as well as a set of Klim waterproof & insulated ones plus some thin rain glove overs that are the balls. The more rain gear & cold weather gear I pack the better chance of dry sunny riding is my thought.
    SLC? great cheese steaks out there, bestoutside of philly IMO. DP philly is the store.

Also if you want to be uber safe. SPOT

It can get remote out in some spots ( remote as in you ride off and no one will find you)
    I know this one fellow. Eric Foster had a bad get off in remote quebec, wayyyyyyyyy up north where only Hydro Quebec goes. Luckily some one found him. He know carries a SPOT everywhere, even to the market when riding.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1521484377942309

hmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    Wow assuming you got a good deal the seller seems like a standup guy! I feel like like the chain/sprockets should be just fine at that mileage though.

Quote Originally Posted by black View Post
    SLC? great cheese steaks out there, bestoutside of philly IMO. DP philly is the store.

Also if you want to be uber safe. SPOT

It can get remote out in some spots ( remote as in you ride off and no one will find you)
    I know this one fellow. Eric Foster had a bad get off in remote quebec, wayyyyyyyyy up north where only Hydro Quebec goes. Luckily some one found him. He know carries a SPOT everywhere, even to the market when riding.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1521484377942309
    I have a SPOT, but thinking of dumping it for the Garmin In-Reach

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I agree the chain/sprockets have more than enough life on them but this guy is a retired surgeon and loves to tinker.

He may be just as excited for this trip as I am. He’s been going through the bike with a fine tooth comb, meeting me at the airport and offered a guest room for a night. This bike is pristine and I’m 90% sure by the time I get home I’ll ride more miles on the bike in that trip than there are currently on the bike.

It’s setup with nothing but the best. AK20 cartridges, penske 3 way, electronic cruise, madstad shield, case covers, sliders, luggage, a ecu flash and the 1ps Corbin saddle.

Inreach is great. It's awesome being able to suspend service when you don't need it. And it pairs easily with your phone to allow satellite texting when you don't have service.

It's a very good idea when traveling far from home out in the boonies, but I can't imagine really needing one on an all pavement trip.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 07-24-21 at 05:28 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R